Has Samui Gone To The "dogs"?

The last time I went to Samui was 1996. I felt it was overpriced and not really my scene. Never been back.

I went to Ta Phraya National Park a few years ago in Buri Ram/Sra Kaew. Really enjoyed that. Jens, maybe you'd like that. I can understand why you feel Samui is "going downhill". There are plenty of other places in Thailand. Perhaps you should relocate.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samui.. ha.. what a joke.

As far from 'Thailand' as you could possibly get !!

a stage managed tourist trap that caters to the mindless traveller and serves up an imitational paradise at european costs...!!!

Advice to all prospective visitors - avoid it.

Goshawk

The thing is, why do you presume that all ex pats live in samui, to submerse themselves in Thai culture?

Maybe some guys just want the beach, a few bars, cheap housing in the tropics.... Nothing shallow about that, just different tastes.

Other may feel Chang Mai is an awfull place, as it does not offer these things.

Differnt people like different things. You should not advise people not to visit Samui simply because there are no ethnic hill tribes to smoke opium with.

Goshawk

The thing is, why do you presume that all ex pats live in samui, to submerse themselves in Thai culture?

Maybe some guys just want the beach, a few bars, cheap housing in the tropics.... Nothing shallow about that, just different tastes.

Differnt people like different things. You should not advise people not to visit Samui simply because there are no ethnic hill tribes to smoke opium with.

Stick, Im with you there!

Goshawk

Yep it is all what you want from life & have to say I think Samui is great all in I have only spent 4 months on the island over the last year but I think it is great....

Sooooo much better than life here in London.

I am 28 years old & Samui ticks all the boxe's for me the beach food sea ladies sun + i think would be great all the holiday makers coming & going meeting lot's of diferent people... you got some other cool island near by i do think the place is great!!!!

This is why I hope to be living there soon..

I know it must of changed alot over the last 20 years as alot of you have said but where in the world has not????

No, MARK, I LIVE there!

I live here too, but this is a resort island. Tourists are part of the deal. I bet you were one once before you stayed.

EVERY place will grow. It's the way of the world.

(edited for quotes)

Yes, but growing does not have to mean the destruction of every thing that brought us here in the first place.

In my opinion,< if you could cut Samui down the middle from north to south and let the right hand side float away you will be left with a lovely island.>

Yes I do know where the airport and ferry is and I have booked my escape ticket.

And I also like Ducks and Side Show Bob.

What you say about cutting S. in 1/2 is right on, and would be nice, but unfortunatly is't a pipe dream<but a good one>-Thanks 4 Lite Beer.

Edited by SamuiJens

Lite Beer.... yes, progression. Something wrong with my spelling? I truly can not be bothered to spell check. You get the point.

Jens.... Thank you, for once, not biting my head off! We have two different views obviously, although I in turn do of course respect your opinions also. It would be dull if we all agreed i suppose.

Sorry Stick. I was not questioning your spelling.

Just disagreeing with your idea of progresion.

And yes compared with London here is paradise. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to be here.

After a while the novelty of beaches, bars, ladies etc wares off and you just want to live some where quiet and peaceful. Thats why me and the missus are going to Khon Kaen. Also the cost of living is much lower.

Look on the bright side Jens, you could be living in Pattaya. But thats another topic.

I first went to Samui in 87 and loved the place but even then I met people who said it was too touristy and had changed too much from previous years. Places continue to change, and if you don't like it, pack up and move, it's that simple.

I agree. Some of the posts on this forum are so negative about Samui it does beg the question why stay. It does make me laugh when people say I was here in 96 and it was so different, try the 80's! My guess is the very same people who bash Samui will soon be slagging off the place they move to thats if they really do carry out their 'threat'.

If they have nothing good to say about Samui then perhaps Samui would be a better place if they did up sticks!

I have followed this topic with interest..

I tent to agree with Stick and his point of view

To the newcomer its beautiful and agreeable..

let me qualify, I lived on Samui for three yeas

until 9 months ago, I had enough and left..

I'm not anti tourists.. I'm impressed with some peoples loyalty's

in my original post I stated the facts that drove me out

Bad roads,water and Sewage problems utilities in general

Samui is still beautiful in places there is a sad lacking of direction however..

Lite Beer.... yes, progression. Something wrong with my spelling? I truly can not be bothered to spell check. You get the point.

Jens.... Thank you, for once, not biting my head off! We have two different views obviously, although I in turn do of course respect your opinions also. It would be dull if we all agreed i suppose.

And yes compared with London here is paradise. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to be here.

After a while the novelty of beaches, bars, ladies etc wares off and you just want to live some where quiet and peaceful. Thats why me and the missus are going to Khon Kaen. Also the cost of living is much lower.

Look on the bright side Jens, you could be living in Pattaya. But thats another topic.

Yes, and some would totally love to be in Pattaya, others Phuket, still others Chiang Mai. It's all subjective.

LB - are you moving to Khon Kaen to get away from Samui, or just because you like Khon Kaen, or a mixture of the two? Im sure Khon Kaen is a great place to live, but will you not miss some of the very things that you dont like in Samui? For example, a simple thing such as bars.... I dunno. To me they are priororty! I love a beer and enjoy taking the piss and having the banter with my fellow buddies. We all do. How are you going to do this in KK? western food another one. The beach. That tropical feel that believe it or not, many parts of Thailand dont offer. I could go on. My point is, you may find Samui a little loud, in your face, over populated with ferang et al - but wont going to KK be from extreme to the other?

Then again, maybe you just want to chill, take it easy and mind your own biz enjoying the quiet life. Nothing wrong with that. I tried it once in the North West - after three months i went insane with boredom but we are all different.

I have followed this topic with interest..

I tent to agree with Stick and his point of view

To the newcomer its beautiful and agreeable..

let me qualify, I lived on Samui for three yeas

until 9 months ago, I had enough and left..

I'm not anti tourists.. I'm impressed with some peoples loyalty's

in my original post I stated the facts that drove me out

Bad roads,water and Sewage problems utilities in general

Samui is still beautiful in places there is a sad lacking of direction however..

Thats the thing LBD - when something begins to bother you, the slightest thing winds you up. The bad roads, water, utilities etc will either realy wind you up, or not bother you in the slightest. For me, im not bothered about that but i know many who are.

The again, it would be interesting to know where many people who become tired with Samui, actualy lived. Chaweng isnt for me - many great places to live that are very quiet and stunning only 20 minutes from the hot spots.

The "garbage tolerance" factor is very high among people.

I mean : what to think about the hundreds of thousands of brits, germans, french who go every summer in Spain for instance... ?

Did you visit Alicante ? And the surreal Benidorm ? And what about La Grande Motte in south of France ? Shitholes, packed with people, smelling sun lotion, bad booze and crap food, vomiting cars and EasyJet's charters.

But total hits.

So, in that regard, Samui is nothing more, nothing less. And even if it is a shithole -I agree-, along with Phuket, the number of people who could love it, enjoy it is actually huge.

And it will become worse.

This is why it's difficult to blame thai people. They have just learned what to do, by looking at other "sun paradises" in Europe.

A minority of tourists will dislike it. The majority will enjoy it big time.

I can see only one counter example : Corsica. There, the natives put bombs to destroy illegal housings and protect fiercely their coastline. There a tourist is by essence a foreigner.

And they don't like foreigners. :o

And I should add : they don't need tourist money. Because the french state provides it. But that's another discussion...

LB - are you moving to Khon Kaen to get away from Samui, or just because you like Khon Kaen, or a mixture of the two? Im sure Khon Kaen is a great place to live, but will you not miss some of the very things that you dont like in Samui? For example, a simple thing such as bars.... I dunno. To me they are priororty! I love a beer and enjoy taking the piss and having the banter with my fellow buddies. We all do. How are you going to do this in KK? western food another one. The beach. That tropical feel that believe it or not, many parts of Thailand dont offer. I could go on. My point is, you may find Samui a little loud, in your face, over populated with ferang et al - but wont going to KK be from extreme to the other?

Then again, maybe you just want to chill, take it easy and mind your own biz enjoying the quiet life. Nothing wrong with that. I tried it once in the North West - after three months i went insane with boredom but we are all different.

A bit of both really. My friend lives in a small village and every time I visit him I love it.

I have just stayed a month to keep an eye on the house building and it was great. People more friendly and genuine, prices cheaper. The wife comes from there so she will be happier. I have managed to sell my small house here and build a much bigger one with a lot more land and have a fare profit as well.

I just got peed off with the constant noise of tree cutting and building. The roads are deadly. I rarely go to a bar, prefering to drink at home. I think driving a taxi in England for 13 years gave me a dislike of people ,especially the drunk morons I had to take home from the pubs every night.

Parts of Samui are still stunningly beautiful but,

The Island is growing at such a rapid rate it just cannot cope. The roads are appaling. The electric supply is a joke. After many so called upgrades and weeks of powercuts yesterday Lamai was cut off all day and I here the same tomorrow. The only air link is a rip off. The Taxis operate totaly illegally by refusing to put their meters on then getting aggresive when you argue. So every one drives home drunk rather than get one.

The building work and tree cutting has caused lots of flooding resulting in lost homes and deaths.

There is a lot more violence. A few months ago there was a shooting in Lamai every week. A few of them in bars. Lets hope they stop some of this and keep what is left of the unspoilt Samui.

Go up to the new temple overlooking Laem Sor Pagoda. Beautiful and quiet with stunning views.

Well, good luck LB. As usual, there are always pro's and con's. Building/buying a house several times larger than your place in Samui is a massive factor. As is the peacefull life style. Looking back, I may have stayed in the north west if there were at least a few ferangs that i could have a beer with one in a while but i was the only ferang within a 25 mile radius. I just got stir crazy. There are only so many converstations you can have along the lines of 'Daweed Veckham, good. Manchester Noonited, good'

So here is an idea - all the people who are disgusted with Samui, but still live there, why dont you move to the west side of the island where it is a little more in line with your ideals?

Lipa Noi etc.... Would that not suit you all a little better? Honest question.

Just come back from Samui today - landed in the UK after a great time at my house and with friends. Thought that actually the traffic was a little quieter than during my visits last year - although I know there is still too much!

I was just thinking before writing this post, that I would like to go straight back to Samui now - however, work etc.etc.

I first went to Samui in 87 and loved the place but even then I met people who said it was too touristy and had changed too much from previous years. Places continue to change, and if you don't like it, pack up and move, it's that simple.

hel_l NO, its not that simple when you've put so much time and effert to making it yourr home,Jing!

And to Stick, Me personaly, live on the West side. As you put, and you mave keep the other half.

Edited by SamuiJens

hel_l NO, its not that simple when you've put so much time and effert to making it yourr home,Jing!

And to Stick, Me personaly, live on the West side. As you put, and you mave keep the other half.

Agree. It really is not that simple to sell up. I was lucky to sell my house in 7 months. I know of many people who have been trying for years.

Maybe I should have settled down on the west coast, but I was a little scared it would be too remote. I now know I would have been happier there.

It is not a matter of the island being too touristy. It simply cannot cope with it all. Wait till next summer when every where runs out of water because of the lack of rainy season last year.

Know what you mean Stick about the lack of conversation up north, but Khon Kaen town is just up the road and you would be suprised how many farang bars and restaraunts there are.

Plus there is always Khon Kaen forum and Thai Visa to keep you in touch.

Agree. It really is not that simple to sell up. I was lucky to sell my house in 7 months. I know of many people who have been trying for years.

Maybe I should have settled down on the west coast, but I was a little scared it would be too remote. I now know I would have been happier there.

It is not a matter of the island being too touristy. It simply cannot cope with it all. Wait till next summer when every where runs out of water because of the lack of rainy season last year.

Know what you mean Stick about the lack of conversation up north, but Khon Kaen town is just up the road and you would be suprised how many farang bars and restaraunts there are.

Plus there is always Khon Kaen forum and Thai Visa to keep you in touch.

Sorry to see you go LB, but what must be, must be, so good luck in the "sticks" or the real LOS :o

I now think, is it the "dogs (the big corps. that want to rule) coming to Samui" instead of the other way round.Same-same.

But, as I said before, it's one of the best places in LOS when you want to live by the ocean. We all have to except the mess that comes with it, and try to minimize it, though, hence this thread, so we don't forget it can soon become like Pattaya! :o:D

I now think, is it the "dogs (the big corps. that want to rule) coming to Samui" instead of the other way round.Same-same.

But, as I said before, it's one of the best places in LOS when you want to live by the ocean. We all have to except the mess that comes with it, and try to minimize it, though, hence this thread, so we don't forget it can soon become like Pattaya! :o:D

Don`t mension the `P` word. :D :D :D

PTY has the cheapest living expenses in the LOS not to mention the cheap and good school/education options.

Nobody in this thread mentioned education yet, an absolute niche waiting to be discovered on Samui!

But, as I said before, it's one of the best places in LOS when you want to live by the ocean. We all have to except the mess that comes with it, and try to minimize it, though, hence this thread, so we don't forget it can soon become like Pattaya! :o:bah:

Don`t mension the `P` word. :D :D :D

Sorry LB, without mentioning it, some people can't see what I'm getting at. :bah::D

Edited by SamuiJens

Jens - Actualy on the east side of Samui, as you should know, there are buckets and buckets of areas that are secluded, remote, peacfull and quiet. Lets not take this thread out of context.... we are not realy talking about Samui, are we? We are talking about Chaweng, parts of Mai Nam, Lamai, and the ring road.

What about the rest of it?

This is why i keep tying to make the point that the OP's question could be taken in so many different ways.

Jens, if your side of the island is so lovely (and it is) then your question should possibly have been 'has Chaweng, Mai Nam, lamai gone to the dogs?'

Jens, also may I ask; living out on the west side.... Its an idea that has always realy apealed to me. Its nice out there. But, as LBD said, do you not find it remote? Do you ever go into Chaweng for shopping (tesco etc) are there any 'local' type bars on that side where you can catch up with fernags and have a chat?

Living out on the west side.... seems like you have the best of both worlds; quiet, peacefull, relaxed - but only 20 minutes away from 'the action' if you want it. That dosent sound so bad to me?

Jens - Actualy on the east side of Samui, as you should know, there are buckets and buckets of areas that are secluded, remote, peacfull and quiet. Lets not take this thread out of context.... we are not realy talking about Samui, are we? We are talking about Chaweng, parts of Mai Nam, Lamai, and the ring road.

What about the rest of it?

This is why i keep tying to make the point that the OP's question could be taken in so many different ways.

Jens, if your side of the island is so lovely (and it is) then your question should possibly have been 'has Chaweng, Mai Nam, lamai gone to the dogs?'

Jens, also may I ask; living out on the west side.... Its an idea that has always realy apealed to me. Its nice out there. But, as LBD said, do you not find it remote? Do you ever go into Chaweng for shopping (tesco etc) are there any 'local' type bars on that side where you can catch up with fernags and have a chat?

Living out on the west side.... seems like you have the best of both worlds; quiet, peacefull, relaxed - but only 20 minutes away from 'the action' if you want it. That dosent sound so bad to me?

Didn't say that, and No,Yes,Yes, &Yes. And Limbos, you're right.

Edited by SamuiJens

After a 3 month absence, I see Samui going down hill fast, getting worse all around! If you agree or not, please put your views down here.

Could you explain your views in a little more detail, your post is a bit of a broad brush. It might be easier for us to comment then. Thanks.

It's meant to be a broad brush , like the amount of vehicles on Island getting out of hand, the roads, the amount of tourists/packpackers, etc. In other words, DO YOU FEEL IT'S GETTING WORSE HERE? AS :whistling:OPPOSED TO BEFORE? :D

I don't. I never leave my house :o

Goshawk

ha ha ha teeee heeee!!!!!!

My final thought on the subject;

For some, many or all of you there may come a time when you have to return to your native country.

When and if this happens, ponder the OP's question..... Has Samui gone downhill over the last few years?

Yes, you may think.

Would you donate a lung to move back? Yes, you will think.

If the posts on this thread had been answered as follows, i may have seen a little justification;

'No way has it gone to hel_l. hel_l is living in a run down council flat in Birmingham with the central heating broke. However, the garbage, trafic, noise and over population in certain areas realy piss me off. Aside from that, its a lovely island and I am very lucky'

My cousin work in a foundry raking coal into a furnace 10 hours a day for £250 a week, before tax. He has four kids, a nagging wife and lives in a small councill flat in a block of 400, devoid of all charm. He gets the bus to work at 5am every morning, and retires to his flat at 6pm to face a dull dinner with a tired wife, who has also been workin all day as a cleaner. I am paying for them to come visit in April. I will ask them if Samui is quite the vision of hel_l that many here percieve. I doubt they will agree.

Remember where you live guys, and how fortunate you are the next time you throw a tantrum over a flooded road whilst driving to that sunny tropical beach. Lifes a bitch, aint it?

Edited by StickKettleOn