Has Samui Gone To The "dogs"?

PTY has the cheapest living expenses in the LOS not to mention the cheap and good school/education options.

Nobody in this thread mentioned education yet, an absolute niche waiting to be discovered on Samui!

Not sure about being the cheapest, but agree about the rest.

Probably the cheapest in tourist LOS. Surely rural Thailand will be cheaper.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LB - are you moving to Khon Kaen to get away from Samui, or just because you like Khon Kaen, or a mixture of the two? Im sure Khon Kaen is a great place to live, but will you not miss some of the very things that you dont like in Samui? For example, a simple thing such as bars.... I dunno. To me they are priororty! I love a beer and enjoy taking the piss and having the banter with my fellow buddies. We all do. How are you going to do this in KK? western food another one. The beach. That tropical feel that believe it or not, many parts of Thailand dont offer. I could go on. My point is, you may find Samui a little loud, in your face, over populated with ferang et al - but wont going to KK be from extreme to the other?

Then again, maybe you just want to chill, take it easy and mind your own biz enjoying the quiet life. Nothing wrong with that. I tried it once in the North West - after three months i went insane with boredom but we are all different.

A bit of both really. My friend lives in a small village and every time I visit him I love it.

I have just stayed a month to keep an eye on the house building and it was great. People more friendly and genuine, prices cheaper. The wife comes from there so she will be happier. I have managed to sell my small house here and build a much bigger one with a lot more land and have a fare profit as well.

I just got peed off with the constant noise of tree cutting and building. The roads are deadly. I rarely go to a bar, prefering to drink at home. I think driving a taxi in England for 13 years gave me a dislike of people ,especially the drunk morons I had to take home from the pubs every night.

Parts of Samui are still stunningly beautiful but,

The Island is growing at such a rapid rate it just cannot cope. The roads are appaling. The electric supply is a joke. After many so called upgrades and weeks of powercuts yesterday Lamai was cut off all day and I here the same tomorrow. The only air link is a rip off. The Taxis operate totaly illegally by refusing to put their meters on then getting aggresive when you argue. So every one drives home drunk rather than get one.

The building work and tree cutting has caused lots of flooding resulting in lost homes and deaths.

There is a lot more violence. A few months ago there was a shooting in Lamai every week. A few of them in bars. Lets hope they stop some of this and keep what is left of the unspoilt Samui.

Go up to the new temple overlooking Laem Sor Pagoda. Beautiful and quiet with stunning views.

The electric is better on Samui than it has ever been I live in Bang Rak and can recall about two power cuts lasting longer than 5 mins about twice in the last six months. You would have loved it 20 years ago when power cuts were a daily occurance.

I take issue about your claim that building work has caused floods and deaths. Yes some building work has increased the likelihood of flooding but also remember the floods of Nov/Dec 2005 were also caused by the worst monsoon rains for 30 years. Also I do not know of one single death caused by this flooding perhaps you could publish some names!

LB - are you moving to Khon Kaen to get away from Samui, or just because you like Khon Kaen, or a mixture of the two? Im sure Khon Kaen is a great place to live, but will you not miss some of the very things that you dont like in Samui? For example, a simple thing such as bars.... I dunno. To me they are priororty! I love a beer and enjoy taking the piss and having the banter with my fellow buddies. We all do. How are you going to do this in KK? western food another one. The beach. That tropical feel that believe it or not, many parts of Thailand dont offer. I could go on. My point is, you may find Samui a little loud, in your face, over populated with ferang et al - but wont going to KK be from extreme to the other?

Then again, maybe you just want to chill, take it easy and mind your own biz enjoying the quiet life. Nothing wrong with that. I tried it once in the North West - after three months i went insane with boredom but we are all different.

A bit of both really. My friend lives in a small village and every time I visit him I love it.

I have just stayed a month to keep an eye on the house building and it was great. People more friendly and genuine, prices cheaper. The wife comes from there so she will be happier. I have managed to sell my small house here and build a much bigger one with a lot more land and have a fare profit as well.

I just got peed off with the constant noise of tree cutting and building. The roads are deadly. I rarely go to a bar, prefering to drink at home. I think driving a taxi in England for 13 years gave me a dislike of people ,especially the drunk morons I had to take home from the pubs every night.

Parts of Samui are still stunningly beautiful but,

The Island is growing at such a rapid rate it just cannot cope. The roads are appaling. The electric supply is a joke. After many so called upgrades and weeks of powercuts yesterday Lamai was cut off all day and I here the same tomorrow. The only air link is a rip off. The Taxis operate totaly illegally by refusing to put their meters on then getting aggresive when you argue. So every one drives home drunk rather than get one.

The building work and tree cutting has caused lots of flooding resulting in lost homes and deaths.

There is a lot more violence. A few months ago there was a shooting in Lamai every week. A few of them in bars. Lets hope they stop some of this and keep what is left of the unspoilt Samui.

Go up to the new temple overlooking Laem Sor Pagoda. Beautiful and quiet with stunning views.

The electric is better on Samui than it has ever been I live in Bang Rak and can recall about two power cuts lasting longer than 5 mins about twice in the last six months. You would have loved it 20 years ago when power cuts were a daily occurance.

I take issue about your claim that building work has caused floods and deaths. Yes some building work has increased the likelihood of flooding but also remember the floods of Nov/Dec 2005 were also caused by the worst monsoon rains for 30 years. Also I do not know of one single death caused by this flooding perhaps you could publish some names!

Several Thai people from one of the shack towns got swept away in Lamai. Around 10 or so people died all over if memory serves me correctly.

SW19,

We posted similtaneously, look at my post above. Feel free to use search function in this forum and look at the discussions had over the rain, last eyar, will give you plenty of reading time.

As for names, the people that got washed out to sea, probably weren't registered at all in Samui, let alone any Western paper carried names of the people who died. Upon request I can post pix of the shanty town in question, I took pix the day after!

SW19,

We posted similtaneously, look at my post above. Feel free to use search function in this forum and look at the discussions had over the rain, last eyar, will give you plenty of reading time.

As for names, the people that got washed out to sea, probably weren't registered at all in Samui, let alone any Western paper carried names of the people who died. Upon request I can post pix of the shanty town in question, I took pix the day after!

Yes we did thanks. I did look back at the forum and all I could find was the usual rumours without substance but I did find this.

'This morning Air Chief Marshal Khongsak inspected flood damages on Samui Island. Provincial Governor Wijit Wichaisarn (วิจิตร วิชัยสาร) reported damages amounting to approximately 300 million baht due to the torrential downpour in Samui. There has been no reports of injuries or deaths on the island. The water has largely receded with only a few outlying roads still flooded. The flooding is reported to have only minor effects on the island's tourism aspect, and sea and air travels to the island have resumed as normal'.

Please feel free to correct me but I standby what I said. The Samui whispers love to sensationlise events and heresay becomes fact.

Samui has lost some of it's caracter but is this not the same for any tourist location? money changes hands so the old is knocked down to build new.

I do miss the little wooden bars along the main drag in Samui (lamai)

I do miss the power cuts that occured every day and watching the electric arcs sparking and jumping from the the power cables (viewed from R-Bar)

There are many things that I do miss but there also many things that have improved in Samui but not necessarly for the good.

when ever i go to samui (about once a month) for the necessary lotus and/or immigration trip i return home and marvel at the fact that we still have coconut trees, sea views and nature along the roads, not just resorts, shopping malls and traffic. The air is cleaner, people nicer and life a thousand times better in ko phangan. samui just plan sucks (except for the shopping).

but please don't come here, we like it quiet.

ok yeh it has

lots of traffic sewage and bad roads

but you dont get

1. traffic running you over on the beach

2. you dont get backpackers eating you food when your in a resteraunt

3. you dont get potholes in your beachchairs

my point is, if you dont like the traffic, nightlife or bad roads, there a million places in samui to escape ALL of that and it offers just about everything any other holiday resort does.

Sorry, I was just irritated by the insinuation that there weren't any deaths in the 2005 flooding - there certainly were. It only took me one search to find this too.

Two construction workers were electrocuted on Lamai beach. The death toll from flood stands at three while water borne diseases such as diarrhea and skin disease are reported on the island.

Original Source Bangkok Post 28 November

http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion...discussion.html

People did die in the floods - not many - don't know their names though.

Funny how no-one knows anyone who died and no-one can even mention a name. I think you will find it was a complete myth if I am wrong please feel free to enlighten me and let me know your source.

Christ, It's a big Island, Man!

Funny, actualy. It seems like many people are leaving the island, essentialy becasue of bad roads, too much construction, flooding and garbage. Its widely accepted that the main contributing factor owes to the recent property boom.

I say funny as some of these people who are complaining or even leaving contributed to this said mess by building houses in the first place. Now there is too much of it, they are selling up and buggering off. Kinda like 'too much property going on, casuing havoc. Im going to sell my house that contibuted to this havoc and bugger off'

That may be a fair point? Correct me if otherwise.

when ever i go to samui (about once a month) for the necessary lotus and/or immigration trip i return home and marvel at the fact that we still have coconut trees, sea views and nature along the roads, not just resorts, shopping malls and traffic. The air is cleaner, people nicer and life a thousand times better in ko phangan. samui just plan sucks (except for the shopping).

but please don't come here, we like it quiet.

With the internet and greed, I would bet that by 2010, it won't be so quiet any more, if something isn't done! Hope for your sake and the Island that I'm wrong, beautiful place, especially around..............(our secret)

To Stick, You'll find it's the Thais that have been selling the houses and land.

Edited by SamuiJens

Goshawk

The thing is, why do you presume that all ex pats live in samui, to submerse themselves in Thai culture?

Maybe some guys just want the beach, a few bars, cheap housing in the tropics.... Nothing shallow about that, just different tastes.

Other may feel Chang Mai is an awfull place, as it does not offer these things.

Differnt people like different things. You should not advise people not to visit Samui simply because there are no ethnic hill tribes to smoke opium with.

:o:D:D:D

Lol.... ok ok, you know full well what i mean you sarcastic git! Chang mai, to me does not offer that tropical feel that Samui offers, Its bloody cold up there sometimes, its land locked and the houses that you rent by and large are more of the Thai style variety than the typical Smaui housing.

If im wrong, discuss.

Lol.... ok ok, you know full well what i mean you sarcastic git! Chang mai, to me does not offer that tropical feel that Samui offers, Its bloody cold up there sometimes, its land locked and the houses that you rent by and large are more of the Thai style variety than the typical Smaui housing.

If im wrong, discuss.

Yes you're wrong... & there's need to swear now is there.. just putting your stupid and totally inaccurate quote right. Now.. you've obviously never been here, or if you have you were wearing a great big blindfold..

Tropical feel ???? Exotic birds in the coconut & banana trees everywhere

Cold ????? to a Thai maybe sometimes very early in the morning and early evening in December, January

Houses ???? Thai style variety??? <deleted> ? Now i know you've never been here...

Whats Smaui ??

:o

Listen to me you over sensative XXXX. If you cant take a bit of light hearted banter, and feel so insulted by a harmless jibe such as 'git' do me a favour and leave me the fark alone. Ok? I made a point of showing your post was amusing to me . If i was standing in a pub talking to you face to face and called you a sarcastic git, you would guage that i was doing so in a friendly manner.

At certain times of the year it can be cold. It does not have the same tropical feel as Samui and THERE ARE NOT EXOTIC BIRDS AND BANANA TRESS EVERYWHERE.

Chang Mai is a shit hole my firend, compared to Samui. You are welcome to it. Do me a favour and stay there. <deleted>.

Listen to me you over sensative XXXX. If you cant take a bit of light hearted banter, and feel so insulted by a harmless jibe such as 'git' do me a favour and leave me the fark alone. Ok? I made a point of showing your post was amusing to me . If i was standing in a pub talking to you face to face and called you a sarcastic git, you would guage that i was doing so in a friendly manner.

At certain times of the year it can be cold. It does not have the same tropical feel as Samui and THERE ARE NOT EXOTIC BIRDS AND BANANA TRESS EVERYWHERE.

Chang Mai is a shit hole my firend, compared to Samui. You are welcome to it. Do me a favour and stay there. <deleted>.

:D:D:D

Your right..! "there are not exotic birds and banana tress everywhere", cos i don't know what 'tress' are....

But i can absolutely guarantee you my small minded friend, that there most definatley are exotic birds in the banana TREES everywhere...(& <deleted>)

Chiang Mai is a what ? :D

back to your special brew if that's how you're gonna behave.... :o

Edited by Goshawk

Sorry, I was just irritated by the insinuation that there weren't any deaths in the 2005 flooding - there certainly were. It only took me one search to find this too.
Two construction workers were electrocuted on Lamai beach. The death toll from flood stands at three while water borne diseases such as diarrhea and skin disease are reported on the island.

Those two unfortunate deaths were probably more due to poor health and safety then the floods. My original response was to the myth that 10 people were swept out to sea in Lamai and so far no-one has come up with a reliable source. Saying you took pictures of the shanty town the day after proves nothing and saying western media would not have reported it is absurd they love anything negative to do with Thailand.

The people who love to slag Samui off have contributed to the building on Samui, the traffic on the roads and yes the spread of tourism. It seems to me that they feel it is okay for them to build a house or use the roads but how dare anyone else.

I get irritated by all the negative inaccurate postings on this board if it really is that bad leave and don't come back, oh I forgot, you cannot sell the house you built.

I first came to Samui in the 80's which I am sure is well before most people who post on this board and sure it has changed a great deal some for the good some for the not so good but lets get some balance here instead of all these one eyed postings.

I still love it and if anyone is new to this forum and are thinking about taking a vacation to Samui my message is come do not listen to all these bashers it is a wonderful place.

What appalls me is the way that EVERYWHERE in Thailand that has any kind of natural beauty is swiftly spoilt by developers....is nowhere sacred? Samui is only a few years (or even moths) away from becoming a concrete lump in the sea...meanwhile people are off looking for somewhere else to "rape".

Samui.. ha.. what a joke.

As far from 'Thailand' as you could possibly get !!

a stage managed tourist trap that caters to the mindless traveller and serves up an imitational paradise at European costs...!!!

Advice to all prospective visitors - avoid it.

Allow me to start again Gosh######. This time ill improve on my spelling, just for you sweetheart.... anything to prevent you from using those bloody annoying smiley faces at the slightest opportunity.

>>As far from Thailand as you could possibly get !!

Based on what, Gosh######? Chaweng Beach Road? Granted, 'The Titty Twister' 'Suits R Us' and McDonald's may not be in theme with your LOS Utopia, but my opinion is, based on your short and incorrect childish summary of Samui, that you are disparaging Samui simply because you do not like a town such as Chaweng that has numerous Establishments such as these.

Talk me through the areas of Samui that remain charming, peaceful, quiet with plenty of authentic Thai charm. Go on. Name a few. You probably cant, as you don't know of them. You don't know of them, because you have never been there. Trust me, there are plenty. That said, I doubt they would be 'rustic' enough for you, but ill let you ponder the notion of a life outside of Chaweng and Lamai while you sit on your bloody high horse in CM, gazing a beady eye on southern Thailand, full of condescension and overwhelmed with smugness that you live in 'the real Thailand, don't you know'

>> A stage managed tourist trap that caters to the blaady blaady blaady blah, drivel drivel insert more pretentious crap here imitational blah blah blah

Imitational paradise? (is imitational even a word Gosh######? Do you mean imitation?) Are you kidding, gosh######? Jeez. I have been conned. The next time i am sitting on Chong Mon beach with a cold beer (sorry buddy. No Special Brew here) I will cast a suspicious eye over the still waters of the Gulf Of Siam, the rolling hills in the background, dense in coconut trees, and consider if they are at all real. I will place my beer on the white sandy beach, stroll over to the bamboo bar and inquire with the pleasant, cheery Thai dude if this whole thing is a set up, and I have unwittingly been placed on Channel 7's version the The Trueman Show.

Oh wait. You are probably right. The whole thing is indeed stage managed by those blasted mafia folk over in Surrat. Bugger.

>> Caters to the mindless traveler

Hang on. Lets evaluate this comment as it speaks volumes. Gosh######, listen up buddy. Most holiday makers who work hard all year would prefer to sit on a beach, sip a cold beer, watch the kids play frisbee in the sea, dine out in the evening and chill on the balcony of there Armari suite with a book, sleep soundly and awake to room service handing them breakfast. Whilst eating said breakfast, i doubt very much if they will gaze over at the factory line produced Buddha artifact next to the television set and ponder "Gee, that looks like it may be characterized by the strong idealistic realism of Hellenistic art and the first representations of the Buddha in human form, which have helped define the artistic (and particularly, sculptural) canon for Buddhist art throughout the Asian continent up to the present." reality check buddy - they just want to holiday, in peace and quiet, and ponder nothing. I guess this makes them mindless, eh? Maybe you should stage a PR campaign directed at the 1200 people who visit this lovely island every day and educate them in there narrow minded ways, demanding they book a flight immediately to Cambodia and drag the kids around Angkor Wat. If they don't listen to you, i suggest you beat the hel_l out of them with your lonely planet. Oh wait, thats indicative of my behavior not yours, right? (SKO pauses and takes another swig of Special Brew)

>>Advice to all prospective visitors - avoid it.

I doubt that the 1200 something people that arrive on Samui every day will listen to this advice buddy.

Also please let me reiterate my previous comments;

Chang Mai is not, by any stretch of the imagination as tropical as Samui. Often, it can be cold. Not always, but often. There is no beach. You CAN NOT find that tropical type property in abundance as you suggest. I am not saying they do not exist, I am saying that they are not in abundance.

In short, wrap your head around this, Gosh######..... Samui is a beautiful, tropical island far more suited for holidays and relaxing than CM. CM does not offer anything remotely close to Samui in terms of chilling out, partying or whatever floats your boat.

You are welcome to your 'real Thailand'. We will keep our imitation copy all for ourselves and enjoy life to the full.

Samui.. ha.. what a joke.

As far from 'Thailand' as you could possibly get !!

a stage managed tourist trap that caters to the mindless traveller and serves up an imitational paradise at European costs...!!!

Advice to all prospective visitors - avoid it.

Allow me to start again Gosh######. This time ill improve on my spelling, just for you sweetheart.... anything to prevent you from using those bloody annoying smiley faces at the slightest opportunity.

>>As far from Thailand as you could possibly get !!

Based on what, Gosh######? Chaweng Beach Road? Granted, 'The Titty Twister' 'Suits R Us' and McDonald's may not be in theme with your LOS Utopia, but my opinion is, based on your short and incorrect childish summary of Samui, that you are disparaging Samui simply because you do not like a town such as Chaweng that has numerous Establishments such as these.

Talk me through the areas of Samui that remain charming, peaceful, quiet with plenty of authentic Thai charm. Go on. Name a few. You probably cant, as you don't know of them. You don't know of them, because you have never been there. Trust me, there are plenty. That said, I doubt they would be 'rustic' enough for you, but ill let you ponder the notion of a life outside of Chaweng and Lamai while you sit on your bloody high horse in CM, gazing a beady eye on southern Thailand, full of condescension and overwhelmed with smugness that you live in 'the real Thailand, don't you know'

>> A stage managed tourist trap that caters to the blaady blaady blaady blah, drivel drivel insert more pretentious crap here imitational blah blah blah

Imitational paradise? (is imitational even a word Gosh######? Do you mean imitation?) Are you kidding, gosh######? Jeez. I have been conned. The next time i am sitting on Chong Mon beach with a cold beer (sorry buddy. No Special Brew here) I will cast a suspicious eye over the still waters of the Gulf Of Siam, the rolling hills in the background, dense in coconut trees, and consider if they are at all real. I will place my beer on the white sandy beach, stroll over to the bamboo bar and inquire with the pleasant, cheery Thai dude if this whole thing is a set up, and I have unwittingly been placed on Channel 7's version the The Trueman Show.

Oh wait. You are probably right. The whole thing is indeed stage managed by those blasted mafia folk over in Surrat. Bugger.

>> Caters to the mindless traveler

Hang on. Lets evaluate this comment as it speaks volumes. Gosh######, listen up buddy. Most holiday makers who work hard all year would prefer to sit on a beach, sip a cold beer, watch the kids play frisbee in the sea, dine out in the evening and chill on the balcony of there Armari suite with a book, sleep soundly and awake to room service handing them breakfast. Whilst eating said breakfast, i doubt very much if they will gaze over at the factory line produced Buddha artifact next to the television set and ponder "Gee, that looks like it may be characterized by the strong idealistic realism of Hellenistic art and the first representations of the Buddha in human form, which have helped define the artistic (and particularly, sculptural) canon for Buddhist art throughout the Asian continent up to the present." reality check buddy - they just want to holiday, in peace and quiet, and ponder nothing. I guess this makes them mindless, eh? Maybe you should stage a PR campaign directed at the 1200 people who visit this lovely island every day and educate them in there narrow minded ways, demanding they book a flight immediately to Cambodia and drag the kids around Angkor Wat. If they don't listen to you, i suggest you beat the hel_l out of them with your lonely planet. Oh wait, thats indicative of my behavior not yours, right? (SKO pauses and takes another swig of Special Brew)

>>Advice to all prospective visitors - avoid it.

I doubt that the 1200 something people that arrive on Samui every day will listen to this advice buddy.

Also please let me reiterate my previous comments;

Chang Mai is not, by any stretch of the imagination as tropical as Samui. Often, it can be cold. Not always, but often. There is no beach. You CAN NOT find that tropical type property in abundance as you suggest. I am not saying they do not exist, I am saying that they are not in abundance.

In short, wrap your head around this, Gosh######..... Samui is a beautiful, tropical island far more suited for holidays and relaxing than CM. CM does not offer anything remotely close to Samui in terms of chilling out, partying or whatever floats your boat.

You are welcome to your 'real Thailand'. We will keep our imitation copy all for ourselves and enjoy life to the full.

You spent too much time on this... where did you get it all from? a Lonely Planet book... :D

Wrong again dude...!!

:o

Well, since we aren't actually discussing the relative merits of CM in this thread, shall we just stick to what the OP was discussing?

Remember to refrain from flaming, lets not get personal here.

"Talk me through the areas of Samui that remain charming, peaceful, quiet with plenty of authentic Thai charm. Go on. Name a few. You probably cant, as you don't know of them. You don't know of them, because you have never been there."

largely because they're getting rarer and rarer and harder to find..........

lamai and Chaweng had the best beaches....now look at the state of them....don't try and tell me someone is "preserving" a beach on Samui ?????

"Talk me through the areas of Samui that remain charming, peaceful, quiet with plenty of authentic Thai charm. Go on. Name a few. You probably cant, as you don't know of them. You don't know of them, because you have never been there."

largely because they're getting rarer and rarer and harder to find..........

lamai and Chaweng had the best beaches....now look at the state of them....don't try and tell me someone is "preserving" a beach on Samui ?????

Spot on wilko.. :D

BTW CupOtea or what ever your name is, of course i've been there..!! Many times when it truly was "charming, peaceful, quiet with plenty of authentic Thai charm" Sadly, that was many years ago before the cash registers & big business moved in and spoilt the darn place. Out of curiosity i flew down their again last year for a weeks break from the idyllic north... :o Sorry to have to spoil your illusion, but in reply to the actual title of this thread.. YES ! Samui has gone to the 'dogs'

Its only a paradise isle to those who don't know any better..

Those two unfortunate deaths were probably more due to poor health and safety then the floods. My original response was to the myth that 10 people were swept out to sea in Lamai and so far no-one has come up with a reliable source. Saying you took pictures of the shanty town the day after proves nothing and saying western media would not have reported it is absurd they love anything negative to do with Thailand.

The people who love to slag Samui off have contributed to the building on Samui, the traffic on the roads and yes the spread of tourism. It seems to me that they feel it is okay for them to build a house or use the roads but how dare anyone else.

I get irritated by all the negative inaccurate postings on this board if it really is that bad leave and don't come back, oh I forgot, you cannot sell the house you built.

I first came to Samui in the 80's which I am sure is well before most people who post on this board and sure it has changed a great deal some for the good some for the not so good but lets get some balance here instead of all these one eyed postings.

I still love it and if anyone is new to this forum and are thinking about taking a vacation to Samui my message is come do not listen to all these bashers it is a wonderful place.

Southwest, you don't really deserve a reply; your BIG Resort needs MORE money and that is why you post here! :boring:isn't there enough?

Edited by SamuiJens