Has Samui Gone To The "dogs"?

What appalls me is the way that EVERYWHERE in Thailand that has any kind of natural beauty is swiftly spoilt by developers....is nowhere sacred? Samui is only a few years (or even moths) away from becoming a concrete lump in the sea...meanwhile people are off looking for somewhere else to "rape".

You being one? :o Since it says you live in Chonburi, but you're right on about the developers, going gung ho on Samui!...Developers, :D lets give it a rest!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, may I invite you to a little tour along 'terrible' Chaweng Beach? Next Mae Nam for a change? I'll be busy for the next time to show you around a bit on this still (imho) beautiful and enchanting island?

Who would go to - say - Spain to camp on the Main Thourough-fare? :o or ever tried to make Holidays on the the "Placa de Europe"?

Or in Rush Hour on Piccadilly Circus?

So why hang out -more then nedded on the busy Ringroad and Beachroads on the Isalnd - sometimes just 20 mtrs. away there is is all you want!

to be fair - check it out in honest!

Hi, may I invite you to a little tour along 'terrible' Chaweng Beach? Chaweng Beach Walking...

Next Mae Nam for a change? I'll be busy for the next time to show you around a bit on this still (imho) beautiful and enchanting island?

Who would go to - say - Spain to camp on the Main Thourough-fare? :o or ever tried to make Holidays on the the "Placa de Europe"?

So why hang out -more then nedded on the busy Ringroad and Beachroads on the Island - sometimes just 20 mtrs. away there is is all you want!

Sorry, I was just irritated by the insinuation that there weren't any deaths in the 2005 flooding - there certainly were. It only took me one search to find this too.
Two construction workers were electrocuted on Lamai beach. The death toll from flood stands at three while water borne diseases such as diarrhea and skin disease are reported on the island.

Original Source Bangkok Post 28 November

http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion...discussion.html

Those two unfortunate deaths were probably more due to poor health and safety then the floods. My original response was to the myth that 10 people were swept out to sea in Lamai and so far no-one has come up with a reliable source. Saying you took pictures of the shanty town the day after proves nothing and saying western media would not have reported it is absurd they love anything negative to do with Thailand.

The people who love to slag Samui off have contributed to the building on Samui, the traffic on the roads and yes the spread of tourism. It seems to me that they feel it is okay for them to build a house or use the roads but how dare anyone else.

I get irritated by all the negative inaccurate postings on this board if it really is that bad leave and don't come back, oh I forgot, you cannot sell the house you built.

I first came to Samui in the 80's which I am sure is well before most people who post on this board and sure it has changed a great deal some for the good some for the not so good but lets get some balance here instead of all these one eyed postings.

I still love it and if anyone is new to this forum and are thinking about taking a vacation to Samui my message is come do not listen to all these bashers it is a wonderful place.

Southwest, you don't really deserve a reply; your BIG Resort needs MORE money and that is why you post here! :boring:isn't there enough?

That is because you don't have one. I do not have a resort and I have never built a house here. The truth is always boring to people who like to write sensationalist articles with no substance or fact which your above statement demonstrates.

Still no-one has come up with any evidence regarding the 10 people that supposdly got swept out to sea in Lamai simple it did not happen.

I repeat most people who post on this forum arrived in the last few years and they think they discovered Samui but they contributed heavily to the supposed downfall of Samui that they all talk about.

Why do you keep coming back every 3 months???????

If you don't like it go and leave Samui to the people who want to be here.

I think some people including you need to get a life and get out a bit more.

Sorry, I was just irritated by the insinuation that there weren't any deaths in the 2005 flooding - there certainly were. It only took me one search to find this too.
Two construction workers were electrocuted on Lamai beach. The death toll from flood stands at three while water borne diseases such as diarrhea and skin disease are reported on the island.

Those two unfortunate deaths were probably more due to poor health and safety then the floods. My original response was to the myth that 10 people were swept out to sea in Lamai and so far no-one has come up with a reliable source. Saying you took pictures of the shanty town the day after proves nothing and saying western media would not have reported it is absurd they love anything negative to do with Thailand.

The people who love to slag Samui off have contributed to the building on Samui, the traffic on the roads and yes the spread of tourism. It seems to me that they feel it is okay for them to build a house or use the roads but how dare anyone else.

I get irritated by all the negative inaccurate postings on this board if it really is that bad leave and don't come back, oh I forgot, you cannot sell the house you built.

I first came to Samui in the 80's which I am sure is well before most people who post on this board and sure it has changed a great deal some for the good some for the not so good but lets get some balance here instead of all these one eyed postings.

I still love it and if anyone is new to this forum and are thinking about taking a vacation to Samui my message is come do not listen to all these bashers it is a wonderful place.

Southwest, you don't really deserve a reply; your BIG Resort needs MORE money and that is why you post here! :boring:isn't there enough?

That is because you don't have one. I do not have a resort and I have never built a house here. The truth is always boring to people who like to write sensationalist articles with no substance or fact which your above statement demonstrates.

Still no-one has come up with any evidence regarding the 10 people that supposdly got swept out to sea in Lamai simple it did not happen.

I repeat most people who post on this forum arrived in the last few years and they think they discovered Samui but they contributed heavily to the supposed downfall of Samui that they all talk about.

Sorry the above post was from southwest19 not lolandwendy.

Your getting me wrong, I like Samui, and was gone a while, and have a life. I am refering to the "massive" develoment over the last years that have scared the Island. Ask SBK from Phan gnan how it looks from there, if you don't believe me. Progress does'nt have to be Ugly! Glad some ppl understand this thread.

Samui has changed and personally I think for the worst but as per my previous post this is about development and progression. It has lost lost some of it's charm but that was always going to happen, it does not stop me from visiting every year.

Each to their own some like Bangkok most people dont tomuch polution etc.... I love the place

I've known many people who have travelled to Thailand and all love it with the exception of two. Both of them are the only ones in the group who spent their time in Chiang Mai instead of on a beach somewhere.

Goshawk - I hate to start a silly CM vs Samui dialog here but the above post can be said of many travelers and holidays makers. You are missing my point. CM is a wonderful place (and please don't take my earlier shit hole reference out of context) but it is not the tropical, sea/sun holiday you quite portray. I stand by my earlier statement - compared to Samui, it is not tropical.

Excelent post Lolandwendy, and excellent point regarding time spent on Samui. As i mentioned earlier, referring to Samui 20 years ago is irrelevant as most people posting now, including me, have only been here a few years. It is a massive hypocrisy for anyone to complain about Samuis recent troubles in a scornful fashion when they/we have also contributed to the traffic, roads etc.

Anyhow as i said, i couldn't give a flying bugger about the traffic, roads, a little garbage here and there. It is by and large a beautifully island - I love it, and feel very lucky.

I've known many people who have travelled to Thailand and all love it with the exception of two. Both of them are the only ones in the group who spent their time in Chiang Mai instead of on a beach somewhere.

Goshawk - I hate to start a silly CM vs Samui dialog here but the above post can be said of many travelers and holidays makers. You are missing my point. CM is a wonderful place (and please don't take my earlier shit hole reference out of context) but it is not the tropical, sea/sun holiday you quite portray. I stand by my earlier statement - compared to Samui, it is not tropical.

Excelent post Lolandwendy, and excellent point regarding time spent on Samui. As i mentioned earlier, referring to Samui 20 years ago is irrelevant as most people posting now, including me, have only been here a few years. It is a massive hypocrisy for anyone to complain about Samuis recent troubles in a scornful fashion when they/we have also contributed to the traffic, roads etc.

Anyhow as i said, i couldn't give a flying bugger about the traffic, roads, a little garbage here and there. It is by and large a beautifully island - I love it, and feel very lucky.

You better feel lucky, since driving the roads on a moterbike can get you killed or worse!!!-True story!

Your getting me wrong, I like Samui, and was gone a while, and have a life. I am refering to the "massive" develoment over the last years that have scared the Island. Ask SBK from Phan gnan how it looks from there, if you don't believe me. Progress does'nt have to be Ugly! Glad some ppl understand this thread.

Starting a thread has 'samui gone to the dogs' you could have fooled me.

You wrongly accuse me of having a resort here I have not even built one single house even more more bullsh*t and still no substance or source.

Unless you came to samui at least 15 years ago you are not even qualified to have an opinion it is people like you that arrived in the last few years and slag the island off that spoil it.

If you do not like it or want to constantly complain about it then leave we do not need you. My guess is that you are a serial complainer and whereever you are would be the same whinge whinge whinge.

I think you need to get out more or even better pack up and leave.

Hi, may I invite you to a little tour along 'terrible' Chaweng Beach? Chaweng Beach Walking...

Next Mae Nam for a change? I'll be busy for the next time to show you around a bit on this still (imho) beautiful and enchanting island?

So why hang out -more then nedded on the busy Ringroad and Beachroads on the Island - sometimes just 20 mtrs. away there is is all you want!

thats was the dam point i was trying to make.

there is always somewhere in samui to escape all the things you dont like and thats ###### good enough for me, thats why i am returning this march.

Who would go to - say - Spain to camp on the Main Thourough-fare? :D or ever tried to make Holidays on the the "Placa de Europe"?

there is always somewhere in samui to escape all the things you dont like and thats ###### good enough for me, thats why i am returning this march.

Just fine, if you don't drive on the Ring/beach roads ect. But I need to some times and consider myself more than lucky that some jerk hasn't hit me yet, only all my friends. Andy , take extra money with you :o

Realy..... this is becoming a bit of a joke. Can we please calm down on the road kill issue? People do indeed die on the Samui ring road but come on guys - anyone would think there are bodies piled up on every junction.

The Samui ring road is realy not that bad and please don't forget.... it is a ring road! It is not a pleasant meandering lane leaping from village to village, its a sodding ring road with trucks, JCB diggers, and people driving at pace. Generally, this is what ring roads are like in any country.

Driving along on your bike or in your car at a steady speed keeping your eye's pealed, there is a very, very slim chance of becoming a statistic.

Edited by StickKettleOn

You can't much more damning than that reference my friend...

Do you understand the word "tropic" or "tropical" ?

c'mon, i'll help you out...

..The tropics are the geographic region of the Earth centered on the equator and limited in latitude by the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere, at approximately 23°30' (23.5°) N latitude, and the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere at 23°30' (23.5°) S latitude. This region is also referred to as the tropical zone and the torrid zone.

Check out your world map buddy.. think you'll find all of Thailand lies withn these latitudes and is therefore.... T R O P I C A L

and when did i portray CM as a seaside resort ??? :D

:o

Edited by Goshawk

Realy..... this is becoming a bit of a joke. Can we please calm down on the road kill issue? People do indeed die on the Samui ring road but come on guys - anyone would think there are bodies piled up on every junction.

The Samui ring road is relay not that bad and please don't foget.... it is a ring road! It is not a pleasant meandering lane leaping from village to village, its a sodding ring road with trucks, JCB diggers, and people driving at pace. Generally, this is what ring roads are like in any country.

Driving along on your bike or in your car at a steady speed keeping your eye's pealed, there is a very, very slim chance of becoming a statistic.

Thankyou stickKettleOn a balanced arguement and keep the the other balanced posts coming lets tell the real story rather then the bashers who still actually live here and wrongly accuse people of owning resorts which I do not or even claim 1 million babies dies in the floods of 2005 . Samui is still a great place its what you make of it that counts. I standby this place if you dont then leave dont whinge!!!!!!

This is getting ridiculous. You are fully aware of the point I am trying to make. CM is not AS tropical as Samui. This whole began as my trying to make a point that some people prefer the tropical beach bum holiday as apposed to a CM style holiday, which is not as tropical. Honestly, you genuinely don’t see the point I am trying to make here?

I believe Penang would be considered as tropical. Do you get the tropical 'vibe' in Penang? No. See my point? Can I make it any clearer? If not, let me help you buddy. Surrathani. Would you feel as though you are on a tropical jaunt whilst staying in a central Surrathani hotel? No. But is Surrathani in the tropics? Yes.

You have to nit pick?

This is getting ridiculous. You are fully aware of the point I am trying to make. CM is not AS tropical as Samui. This whole began as my trying to make a point that some people prefer the tropical beach bum holiday as apposed to a CM style holiday, which is not as tropical. Honestly, you genuinely don’t see the point I am trying to make here?

I believe Penang would be considered as tropical. Do you get the tropical 'vibe' in Penang? No. See my point? Can I make it any clearer? If not, let me help you buddy. Surrathani. Would you feel as though you are on a tropical jaunt whilst staying in a central Surrathani hotel? No. But is Surrathani in the tropics? Yes.

You have to nit pick?

yeah i agree, its getting ridiculous but 'Tropical' is not just a vibe however you decide to interprete it.. You never heard of the tropical cloud forests of northern Thailand ? (they actually extend up into Burma which is also tropical)

wake up, accept **edited for flame**.. :o

You better feel lucky, since driving the roads on a moterbike can get you killed or worse!!!-True story!

and they can in any country particularly if you take the 'intelligent; option of not wearing a crash helmet but after reading this the posts on this forum most people seem to have suffered a serious head trauma already.

Lets bring it on

1. evidence of 10 people being swept out to sea. Did not happen

2 Traffic jams on Koh samui where ( maybe we could introduce a congestion charge). Never waited more the 2 minutes

You build your houses use the roads turn up in 96 or later thinking you discovered samui and now its all wrong.

The people who turned up two years ago, yesterday or tomorrow have as much right to be here as you do in fact more because they are not constantly putting everything down.

My challlenge to all you bashers is go leave there are perfectly good ferries planes etc and you can fing utopia elshere with the satisfaction that I told you so but please stop boring us here.

This is getting ridiculous. You are fully aware of the point I am trying to make. CM is not AS tropical as Samui. This whole began as my trying to make a point that some people prefer the tropical beach bum holiday as apposed to a CM style holiday, which is not as tropical. Honestly, you genuinely don't see the point I am trying to make here?

You have to nit pick?

yeah i agree, its getting ridiculous but 'Tropical' is not just a vibe however you decide to interprete it.. You never heard of the tropical cloud forests of northern Thailand ? (they actually extend up into Burma which is also tropical)

wake up, accept **edited for flaming***... :o

An in turn, I agree. However, Tropical is a certain vibe in the context of this discussion.

And now we make the leap toward tropical forrests of northern Thailand?

Seriously Goshawk your thinking is scrambled and you constantly make giant leaps out of context. Slow down my friend, take a breath and consider the focus of this discussion. If you are incapable of doing so, let me help you by referring to one of your earlier dribbles;

>>a stage managed tourist trap that caters to the mindless traveller and serves up an imitational paradise at european costs...!!!

You set the tone by suggesting our beautiful island caters to mindless travelers. I replied, suggesting that most folk just want a beach holiday and embrace Samui as they could not give a flying toss about bumming around Changmai looking at temples, or whatever the hel_l it is you do up there. They just want a tropical feel holiday. In the context of our little chat, T R O P I C A L to most people would be a Ko Samui beach crashed in a sun lunger. My friend, i can almost guarantee that if you asked most people what a vision of the tropics would be, they would answer with exactly that. An island beach crashed in a sun lounger. They would certainly not answer 'The Tropical Forrest's of Northern Thailand'

Are we getting there my little northern pal?

Can you at least try and wrap your **edited for flaming** mind around my point?

I guess my English wasn't clear enough for a few posters.

This is not about Chiang Mai. Period. End of story.

And flaming is not allowed. Abuse of other posters is not allowed. Now I am going to issue a final ###### warning.

ENOUGH!!! :o

Who would go to - say - Spain to camp on the Main Thourough-fare? :D or ever tried to make Holidays on the the "Placa de Europe"?

Just fine, if you don't drive on the Ring/beach roads ect. But I need to some times and consider myself more than lucky that some jerk hasn't hit me yet, only all my friends. Andy , take extra money with you :o

Agreed, ive driven on the samui roads myself, only a miricle im still alive.

Dont think ill be renting a scooter this march upon my return.

>>Agreed, ive driven on the samui roads myself, only a miricle im still alive.

Dont think ill be renting a scooter this march upon my return.

Why.

Something must have happened, if it is a miracle you are still alive. There must have been an incident in which you narrowly avoided death.

Please tell us all what it was.

If nothing actually happened, surely what you really mean is 'I found the ring road a little too busy and felt a little unnerved at times'.

Edited by StickKettleOn

Hi. I have been offline for a couple of days travelling up to Real Thailand.

I log in again and I see that you lot have almost got the topic closed down. Calm down.

Personally, Samui is a great place for a holiday, with still some beautiful spots. Mainly on the western side.

I decided I wanted to live in Thailand not Farangland, hence the move up north.

Statistically the roads on Samui have the worse accident rates in the whole of Thailand. Every time my wife goes out I worry like hel_l till she comes home. The biggest problem in the village here would be a bunch of cows or a few chickens blocking the road.

Stick, as a matter of interest where do you live on Samui?

Hi. I have been offline for a couple of days travelling up to Real Thailand.

I log in again and I see that you lot have almost got the topic closed down. Calm down.

Personally, Samui is a great place for a holiday, with still some beautiful spots. Mainly on the western side.

I decided I wanted to live in Thailand not Farangland, hence the move up north.

Statistically the roads on Samui have the worse accident rates in the whole of Thailand. Every time my wife goes out I worry like hel_l till she comes home. The biggest problem in the village here would be a bunch of cows or a few chickens blocking the road.

Stick, as a matter of interest where do you live on Samui?

Is that a bona fida fact? I am not disputing it, honestly. Just asking the question as i never read that anwywhere.

I can honestly say, i never experienced that level of fear owing to the roads. I never even feel slightly nervous.

At the moment, I am in between several regions of LOS. I lived on the island for a few years, then left for Bangkok a year ago and spent a little time in the north west. My time now is juggled between the north west of Thailand, Bangkok and Samui. Up until 7 weeks ago,I got to Samui most weekends. I have not been 'on Samui' for a year but I did get there most weekends untill recently.

My area has always been Plai Leam. I am moving back full time in a few weeks and havent had the time to look properly yet but i will most certainly go back to Plai Leam. My feeling is that i will jump into a quick and easy place on Soi Monkey for a month, an area which i dont actualy like to be honest (but very easy to find temp housing), while i find the time to find my shangri-laa in Plai Leam.

I am also seriously considering the South West. May be too remote for me though.