4 month stay for me, 5 weeks for gf

I intend to take my Thai lady friend whom I have known for 3 years to UK in May 2020 for a holiday. Myself, I will be staying longer, at least 4 months to set my divorce in motion from my ex Thai wife. (We married in the UK in 2001 and divorced 4 years ago)  We are divorced in Thailand but not in UK therefore I have to live there 3 months before I can file for divorce.

The lady in question works in a legitimate massage/beauty shop and pays tax and Insurance so will have no problem showing her work status from the employer. She will have the necessary documents regarding reason to return, ie, her Chanote for house and Rubber trees in Nong Khai. She has a 5 year old daughter living with her mother.

If possible I would like to unfreeze my pension during this period, thus killing 3 birds with one stone (holiday/divorce and pension)

How should I go about applying for her visitor visa?  I will rent a flat for the duration of my stay.

Could there be a problem that the Officer will not believe there is reason to return and if so, how could I address it?

2 hours ago, BangkokTony said:

We are divorced in Thailand but not in UK therefore I have to live there 3 months before I can file for divorce

Are you sure that you are not divorced in the UK as well as Thailand? If the divorce took place in and is legal in Thailand it is probably legal in the UK as well.; even if neither of you were living in Thailand at the time.

Overseas divorces: SET13

Under the Family Law Act 1986 an overseas divorce obtained by means of judicial or other proceedings is recognised in the UK only if:

it is effective under the law of the country in which it was obtained; and

at the relevant date (that is, the date on which proceedings were begun), either party was either habitually resident or domiciled in that country or was a national of that country.

(7by7 emphasis)

But, if by 'divorced in Thailand' you mean you divorced at the Thai embassy in London, then whilst valid in Thailand, that divorce is not valid in the UK. The only way to divorce legally in the UK is through the UK courts.

2 hours ago, BangkokTony said:

Could there be a problem that the Officer will not believe there is reason to return and if so, how could I address it?

In your sponsor's letter explain your relationship, why she is visiting the UK at this time and why you will be staying longer than her.

Provide evidence of her employment and land ownership.

She should include a letter from her employer on company headed notepaper confirming her employment, her holiday entitlement and when she is expected back to work. But remember that the decision makers may wish to speak to the signatory and if the letter is written in English will expect to do so in English. They will doubt the letter's authenticity if this is not possible. If the letter is written in Thai then they will speak to the signatory in Thai, but your girlfriend should include a certified English translation.

For more see the pinned topic UK visit visa basics and the official UKVI guidance.

My ex wife and I were divorced in Bangkok.  You have confirmed my belief that I have to go through the UK divorce system.  Should be fairly easy, pay 300gbp and wait a few weeks.  There are two children involved but the mother is not asking for any money at all.

I'm not 100% sure we are divorced in UK.  The solicitor should have told us.  Ill ask my ex to confirm.

.." or was a National of the country"  I may have overlooked that point.  In which case 3 months stay may not be necessary

3 hours ago, BangkokTony said:

My ex wife and I were divorced in Bangkok.  You have confirmed my belief that I have to go through the UK divorce system.

How have I confirmed that belief? The government page i linked to says the opposite!

3 hours ago, BangkokTony said:

.." or was a National of the country"  I may have overlooked that point.

If you legally divorced in Bangkok then as your wife is Thai your divorce is probably valid in the UK as well!

Check with your solicitor, and show them that link. If they say your Thai divorce is not valid in the UK, I'd be grateful if you were to post their reasoning here as it may be of benefit to others.