why are we here in Thailand lets not forget.

KKBrian

23 hours ago, Pete1980 said:

Another one in denial. I live in Pattaya, where it would be 90 plus. 

Thailand is famous for westerners marrying the prostitutes, like it or not.

That’s not nice your trying to say lots of western man have a Prostitute.

my miss is a great lady and she not a prostitute .

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

So true.  No foreigner should ever expect that Thailand will ever be changed to suit them or that Thailand's systems will ever change because we don't like it.

We all have our likes and dislikes but generally speaking Thailand has many things that make it an enjoyable place to live.   

I don't ever expect any Thai-including my own Thai family to  accept me as a Thai person and once I understated the  Thai way of thinking and their history- it has ceased to bother me.

There are things in Thailand that irritate me- but knowing that I can't change them- I don't dwell on them and avoid them if possible.

I do believe  this board swerves a very useful purpose in that it provides an outlet for gripes and irritants that is kept among the expat community rather than confronting  one of our Thai hosts with issues that neither they nor we  can change.

I think rather than an outlet it provides a catalyst for anger and has contributed to the change in the ethnic makeup of expats over the last 5 years. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 9:16 AM, cyberfarang said:

Have to agree. I am also from the UK and sorry to say, my country no longer represents me. I am realistic about my status in Thailand and although try to adapt as much as possible, do realise that I`ll always be nothing more then a glorified guest, but I accept that and it`s not a problem.

Also lived in Thailand for several years and try to look on the positive side of living here. When I read posts on many of these threads, there does seem to be more negatives than positives about the Thais and Thailand and those that continuously moan and complain, have to wonder who they are, where they live and that these people must be living very miserable existences.

Although I enjoy TV unfortunately it does seem to have become synonymous for disgruntled elderly expat men that seem to totally cheesed off with everything in their lives and the world around them. They don`t seem to be contented unless they are miserable. 

I dont think its an age issue. Its a low intelligence issue..Also a depression issue. And for some who are newly arrived they may have a form of mental sickness caused by anti malarial pills. The Thai haters and bashers are frequently under educated,  have no sense of wonder or excitement  and for example swop info about burgers, pizzas and new shopping malls. They boast about their lack of engagement with Thai culture and are proud they have never been to a temple.

• Haha 1

Great post. I'm often bemused by TVF and how the posters go out of their way to attack both the Thais and their country, as well as other forum users over relatively innocuous things. One only needs to read for 20 minutes on here to see the same bunch of people who just write cynical, snarky or sarcastic replies, presumably to try and make themselves feel superior. Also the TVF Facebook page (and a bunch of the other expat facebook pages) seems to be full of guys who just want to put the boot into the country - constantly calling Thais lazy, stupid, rude and all manner of slurs. I often wonder why they're here as well, but plenty of people on this thread have done a great job of explaining why those guys are probably here. I think the relative anonymity of the forums probably exacerbates their willingness to give outrageous opinions or make personal attacks. 

For me, the things I love:

- Relatively low cost living

- Generally friendly people

- The warmer weather

- Laid back lifestyle

- Geographical location for doing other travel (NZ is 12 hours flight from anywhere actually worth travelling to)

I'm here for work, but I won't be in Thailand forever, though I'm grateful for the time I've had here. I've been here 3 years and I've never ever felt unwelcome in Thailand, even when visiting government offices, dealing with law enforcement, talking to locals etc. 

To clarify my above opinion - I have no issues with people criticising things about Thailand that annoy them, when they annoy them. But when you have people who almost every post are just saying how much they hate the people and the place, you do have to wonder why they stick around. I know if I hated somewhere enough, I'd just leave. 

Edited by SammyT
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

He didn't say every man.

There is only a few places a thai woman can learn English. Certainly not unheard of by any means is a thai uni wife or GF

But by far the couples you will see are tattood dark skin version of English speaking thai wives and it wasn't learned through a correspondence course

Just facts.

Read my reply I did say he said all .

you are so wrong about lady’s with dark skin, ok I agree with the tattoo side of it . My thai was not great at English when I meet her , but you know some girls do lean English in thai schools, and some lean it on YouTube, like I lean thai with YouTub.

it’s not a fact , you have your facts so wrong.

• Haha 1

you are so wrong about lady’s with dark skin, ok I agree with the tattoo side of it . My thai was not great at English when I meet her , but you know some girls do lean English in thai schools, and some lean it on YouTube, like I lean thai with YouTub.
Maybe your right the majority of ex farm girls learnt English on you tube and then went to bangkok and Pattaya to meet a good man

That just makes no sense. Be happy you found a good girl

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

every supermarket in the US has it, right near the peroxide and bandaids and what not.....

Just like the Walgreens sell Ice Cream, Java Monsters and Fritos

ok. you are saying a fresh mart is a supermarket, like big c? they have it too... what is a java monster? like a cookie monster for coffee?

1 minute ago, blackhorse said:

Maybe your right the majority of ex farm girls learnt English on you tube and then went to bangkok and Pattaya to meet a good man

That just makes no sense. Be happy you found a good girl

I am very happy I have a good one thanks .

but I know thai lady’s from ex farms and they are good people not all bar lady’s .

Remember  Lots of people from those  areas work in  factories . 

I agree they is lots of working ladies but not like the op was saying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Calembeena11 said:

I am very happy I have a good one thanks .

but I know thai lady’s from ex farms and they are good people not all bar lady’s .

Remember  Lots of people from those  areas work in  factories . 

I agree they is lots of working ladies but not like the op was saying.

Why are you lot taking like this who knows what a Thai lady has done before you met her and what about what about you have done before you met her.

I guess that doesn't count err. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think rather than an outlet it provides a catalyst for anger and has contributed to the change in the ethnic makeup of expats over the last 5 years. 

I alone have changed my ethnic makeup at least 3 times in the last 5 years !  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Calembeena11 said:

Some people confuse their own bigotry as facts. They are not facts. They are opinions.  As for tatooes they are an intrinsic part of Thai culture.

7 hours ago, The manic said:

Some people confuse their own bigotry as facts. They are not facts. They are opinions.  As for tatooes they are an intrinsic part of Thai culture.

The tattoos on they back , about  buddha  Are a part of thai culture yes I agree but the others are not .

3 hours ago, quandow said:

Over the last few years, I've left Thailand for extended periods several times. EVERY time this happens, I return with a renewed appreciation. Yes, there are some really messed up things about LOS, and the recent crackdown on foreigners by immigration seems a little over the top, but the benefits FAR, FAR outweigh the (mostly petty) annoyances.

Ok great , please tell me the benefits, 

that far , far outweigh? .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

My take, and my take only:

Great, world class food at cheap prices.

Well developed transportation infrastructure at cheap prices.

Interesting architecture and gorgeous scenery.

Fascinating culture and history

Decent warm weather.

Nice, friendly people.

Cheap travel in the area.

I am sure you will give me a laundry list of what you hate about Thailand and argue about the above. But thats is why Im here. I find that even sitting at my condo chilling, I am intellectually and visually stimulated. Im sure I could find that stimulation in other countries, but hey, Im here and love it.

PS: Im too old to add the girls to the list ???? 

Ok great .

why would you think I hate thailand?.

i just ask what you see in living in thailand.

i love the place for a holiday, I tried to live there , but couldn’t.

but , still love going there , with my partner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

For me it is totally relaxed gray cells, very few bills coming through the door, wearing only boxers near every day of the year (not in Tesco). ????

Oh yeah...sitting on my balcony freeballing in my shorts with a cup of coffee looking down at the Mooban streets and listing to those DAMN roosters, watching the storms rolling in over the city, walking to the market and spending a whole $2 on a fat assed dinner......

No snow!

• Thanks 1