Nonthaburi Love Hotel Removes Hitler Mural

webfact

Nonthaburi Love Hotel Removes Hitler Mural

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

S__21307410-696x464.jpg

NONTHABURI — A love hotel in greater metropolitan Bangkok removed an Adolf Hitler mural in one of its themed rooms Saturday after news of it went viral the past week and sparked outrage from Jewish groups worldwide.

Love Villa Hotel in Nonthaburi city removed the mural in one of its rooms after word spread about the offensive decor via local press.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2018/10/07/nonthaburi-love-hotel-removes-hitler-mural/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-08

1 minute ago, zaphod reborn said:

The Thai education system is to blame.  Students are indoctrinated with up to 4 hous a day with Thai and Buddhist culture classes while world history is completely ignored and never taught.  Thai students learn that offenses to Buddha, like sexy selfies at temples, are a great offense, but it is cool to celebrate mass murderers like Hitler. 

Actually they are not taught to celebrate Hitler or any other mass murderer.  That is a slur against the Thai's and you should apologise.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Difficult to understand why they think that Hitler and love have something in common. Just ignorance of history I expect.

From what I have read the only thing that Hitler ever loved was his dog. While Eva apparently came a distant second to satisfy a need which his dog couldn't. I have met a few other men over the years who loved their dogs more than their wives; perhaps with good reason.

It's even more surprising that they show sympathy and hail a person who was (beside being a brutal, evil man) verifiable absolutely non corrupt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...A love hotel in greater metropolitan Bangkok removed an Adolf Hitler mural in one of its themed rooms Saturday after news of it went viral the past week and sparked outrage from Jewish groups worldwide..."

It sparked outrage from more than Jewish groups world-wide, it sparked outrage from every decent, thinking person who heard about it. 

It is waaaaay past time that Thailand, who welcomes millions of 'Westerners' a year, teach its citizens that the Nazi-related crap is not acceptable. 

I have always written these incidents off to simple ignorance, but more is needed now; just deal with it once and for all.

You are right.  I don't think they even talk or teach about Thailand's occupation by the Japanese.  If they did perhaps they would know who Hitler was and which alliances he had.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

You are right.  I don't think they even talk or teach about Thailand's occupation by the Japanese.  If they did perhaps they would know who Hitler was and which alliances he had.

But then again, as an English kid at school in the 1950/60's, nothing was mentioned in history classes about WW1/2...Nothing, my long life taught me stuff..

The UK TV series "World at War" opened my eyes to a lot..

20 minutes ago, transam said:

But then again, as an English kid at school in the 1950/60's, nothing was mentioned in history classes about WW1/2...Nothing, my long life taught me stuff..

As an American in public school it was drilled into my head.  I don't know why you were not taught this.  With the night bombings of England and later the implementation of universal health car as a consequence of the war there is much to be informed about.

Edited by ReMarKable
spelling

2 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

As an American in public school it was drilled into my head.  I don't know why you were not taught this.  With the night bombings of England and later the implementation of universal health car as a consequence of the war there is much to being informed about.

Well us kids knew all about the Crusades, Henry VIII etc, but nothing about the crap the UK had to deal with not long before I was born..Crazy stuff..????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Actually they are not taught to celebrate Hitler or any other mass murderer.  That is a slur against the Thai's and you should apologise.

I didn't say they were taught to celebrate Hitler, so obviously you are the one who needs to apologize.  I wrote that they are not taught world history at all, so it is natural that they think the symbols and logos of nazism are cool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

It's even more surprising that they show sympathy and hail a person who was (beside being a brutal, evil man) verifiable absolutely non corrupt.

If that is a definition of non-corrupt then Thailand not doing so bad at all. The hotel marketing ploy was with absolutely no reference as to whether Hitler was personally kind to dogs, whatever. Its about historical fame, evil or otherwise. So, one cannot also refer, for example, to Hitler's addiction to drugs as a reference point to Thailand. There's always a point when this type of thread goes silly unfortunately.

Edited by SheungWan

24 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

2018-10-08%2013_49_08-Window_zpsbmpfhy99

That isn't the deflected point of this thread. However the guy selling dodgy stuff in Soi Buakhaow market is happy to sell both Nazi and Communist bedspreads and stuff. It is doubtful if he subjects himself to historical whatabout Conspiracy Theory nonsense, but I could ask him.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

It is not removing these vile references to a dark and tumultuous era that matter, rather removing from minds and hearts once and for all, educating Thai people of its abohrant and sinister meaning that is matter the most...

How can you remove those references "from hearts and minds" and still educate people about it? 

Those abhorant and sinister references surely need to be remembered, not removed from memory?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

Depends on which syllabus was covered in each school for O Level History. Our school covered the London University syllabus which did go up to 1955 and dealt with both World Wars. Mind you we were aware of WW2 through the school playground trading of war comics and there were, of course, war movies on at the local cinemas.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1