British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

Given I transfer monthly to Thailand, in excess of their minimums, and have done since I've lived here (provided they accept the bank statements / book as proof of this, accompanied maybe by a letter from the pension authority) I'm hoping this announcement won't be much of a hurdle (seeing as they haven't done away with the monthly pension qualification.  If that gets accepted the only thing I'll be regretting is paying the embassy £52 for a letter every year since I've been here! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blorg said:

There is no reason why you would have to have your UK bank do the conversion. You can send the money in GBP through SWIFT and your Thai bank will convert it.

Agreed, which is what I do.   The problem is if you get the pension provider to transfer each month into your Thai account, which doesn't give you the option of selecting the exchange rate.   Always better paid into a UK account, then do the transfer yourself when it suits you.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

It's pretty obvious that, whatever it was called and whatever the Thai authorities thought or think (assuming they do), the annual declaration of income could not possibly be verified by ANY embassy even though you produce documents in support. Embassies are not a detective force. All ANY of them have ever done in reality is to witness YOUR signature on some form of affidavit or statutory declaration, with or without some supporting doco.

Your claim to know how all embassies in Thailand verify income is very impressive.

To get such a letter from my embassy I had to in the past produce salary slips for

the last handful of months as well as the previous years tax report from the IRS.

Of course these documents can be forged, as most other things, but certainly it would be much easier for my embassy to verify the documents as genuine than some Thai office.  Perhaps the penalty for forging government documents like the tax report from IRS would also put a damper on most such thoughts.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

If the Thais NOW want REAL proof of income, then demonstration of funds moving more or less regularly into Thailand will be the only way to do it, I should think.

Which would be completely meaningless as there is nothing, except the annoyance of some transfer fees, from stopping anyone from transferring the same money back and forth every month.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

and how many declaring incomes with the US Embassy were actually telling porkies, I would guess quite a few with little chance of being caught

There were probably some people who got the US embassy declaration with insufficient documentation, given that they did not check anything, yes. My point was more that the fact that we have reports that Thai immigration is no longer accepting US embassy income declarations on their own, and the Canadian embassy has reported a similar change, this is clearly a change in Thai immigration policy, not something the British embassy has come up with on its own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

we are all affected in one way or another.  If you dont see that then fine.  Personally, I will not be supporting a corrupt and inefficient banking system by depositing my money here, I will find another way, or I leave, I have that choice.  I would rather live in a country that wants me there than one that constantly  and clearly shows that it doesn't.  

So how do you spend money here at the moment? Do you use a foreign ATM card to make withdrawals? I haven't noticed any corruption or inefficiencies since opening an account here. I have lost money on transfers from the UK when the intermediary bank ignored the instruction to transfer GBP though and exchanged into THB at an advantageous rate for them so no banking system is immune to inefficiencies. You seem to want to be indignant about this change for no logical reason.

• Like 2

Interesting though not another single country has made an announcement. It's starting to sound a bit like the brits are understaffed or they are not making enough income or they can't be bothered

With the oz embassy charging 2k to witness a signature it's unlikely they will relinquish that cash cow any time soon unless by force

3 minutes ago, blorg said:

There were probably some people who got the US embassy declaration with insufficient documentation, given that they did not check anything, yes. My point was more that the fact that we have reports that Thai immigration is no longer accepting US embassy income declarations on their own, and the Canadian embassy has reported a similar change, this is clearly a change in Thai immigration policy, not something the British embassy has come up with on its own.

Where did you hear that Thai Immigration was no longer accepting income affadavits?

• Like 2

I always use the German embassy, they verify my German pension from the yearly letter concerning the annual pension increase, they also verify my small British pension onhand from the original letter and the Thai account where it is deposited. Quick (15 minuets) and cheap.

Maybe in future the original letter from the DWP may be enough combined with ATM slips, who knows, it will be sorted out no doubt.

Just now, 50BahtLeo said:

Writing on the wall for skint farangs now. Other embassies to surely follow. You'd have to think the 'soft touch' Non-O's will then be targeted. Game over for anyone without the cash.

And if or when they introduce the minimum annual residency period in order to continue to qualify for a retirement extension it will be game over for many non skint farangs

maybe a scam in the Aussie scenario, but the Brit Embassy wants 3 months bank copies of my statements as to my pension income,
Both oz and USA require no proof but the affidavit is a legal document and not something you want to be caught falsifying.
Although the chances are rather slim
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Interesting though not another single country has made an announcement. It's starting to sound a bit like the brits are understaffed or they are not making enough income or they can't be bothered

With the oz embassy charging 2k to witness a signature it's unlikely they will relinquish that cash cow any time soon unless by force

It's possible they actually increased it to 2K to deter people from using that method of income verification. What are the odds of having your (possibly false) stat dec being challenged, and subsequently charged?

While I could certainly bring 4o0K or 800K into Thailand- I don't.  I use a Thai ATM to obtain my spending money tied to several American accounts by using  US Debit Cards.  Online banking shows the balance; the Thai ATM the money is taken out of and the amount of monthly deposits.  Can easily print out 12 months of deposits and debits plus letters from Pensions verify total amounts.

Since the police order indicates income per month is acceptable- I see no reason why an income letter is even needed when one's  banking statements  can verify exactly how much one is getting each month/   It is posslbe they could change the Police Order but that would require a change in the Immigration Act itself unless I am mistaken.

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I always use the German embassy, they verify my German pension from the yearly letter concerning the annual pension increase, they also verify my small British pension onhand from the original letter and the Thai account where it is deposited. Quick (15 minuets) and cheap.

Maybe in future the original letter from the DWP may be enough combined with ATM slips, who knows, it will be sorted out no doubt.

I believe that this change is going to affect all Embassy provided letters, not only the UK, with the only income verification coming from your Thai bank for monies on deposit or monthly income.