Forum Lingo

Padkapow Guy

Could this be turning into a thread of funny one liners?! I here you can be banned for such a thing? how many lines is that? :o:D

You get banned for advocating extreme political positions...but you know that already... :D

Could this be turning into a thread of funny one liners?! I here you can be banned for such a thing?  how many lines is that? :o  :D

You get banned for advocating extreme political positions...but you know that already... :D

Boon Mee, my American mate, this is Thai Visa!

I asked for a banning on the bear pit, now toddle of and ask your mate Leith!

Could this be turning into a thread of funny one liners?! I here you can be banned for such a thing?  how many lines is that? :o  :D

Boon Mee, my American mate, this is Thai Visa!

I asked for a banning on the bear pit, now toddle of and ask your mate Leith!

Just a reminder to be a good fellow, Gent! :D

as can be seen from the above extract from the dictionary of slang, soap dodger makes no reference to nationality at all, a soap dodger can hail from anywhere, even australia or the united states.

My dad always told me the best way to get the Pommie kids out of the swimming pool was to chuck in a cake of soap.

Soap dodgers were always British in my neighbourhood.. :o

My dad always told me the best way to get the Pommie kids out of the swimming pool was to chuck in a cake of soap.

Soap dodgers were always British in my neighbourhood.. :o

There is another word that I don not know.

Pommie? what does it mean

Don't quote me on this, but I thought POM was from Prisoner Of his/her Majesty (P.O.M.), hence pommie.

Slang for persons of British origin in Australia, hence whingeing Poms.

Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank = USA citizen, rhyming slang.

I like the name Betty 2 Stroke, p*ssed myself silly the first time I heard that, as an Aussie wondering why someone was calling the Queen Betty 2 Stroke!! \o/

Don't quote me on this, but I thought POM was from Prisoner Of his/her Majesty (P.O.M.), hence pommie.

Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank = USA citizen, rhyming slang.

I like the name Betty 2 Stroke, p*ssed myself silly the first time I heard that, as an Aussie wondering why someone was calling the Queen Betty 2 Stroke!! \o/

As dry as a pommies towel. Safest place to hide your money from a pom is under the soap :o

Origins:  "Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or  a Brit in general. The origins of "pommy" having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word. Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated "Prisoners of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym "POHM" or "POME" eventually evolved into the slang term "pom" or "pommy."

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that "Prisoner of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

Hope darling will forgive me... at least, I didn't touch the "soap dodger" term.. :o

Pommie?  what does it mean
Origins:   "Pommy" (or "pom" or "pommie") is a primarily Australian (and largely derisive) slang term used to indicate a recent immigrant from Great Britain, or  a Brit in general. The origins of "pommy" having been lost in the mists of time, someone needed to cook up an etymology for it, preferably one equal to the pejorative sense of the word. Accordingly, we now have the story that criminals transported to Australia were designated "Prisoners of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" (some versions claim the convicts bore one of these legends printed on the backs of their shirts), and thus the acronym "POHM" or "POME" eventually evolved into the slang term "pom" or "pommy."

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that "Prisoner of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" -- either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

Hope darling will forgive me... at least, I didn't touch the "soap dodger" term.. :o

Is there soap and shampoo in the bathroom LC ? Can you EVER get him to take a wash before hopping into the cot ? If you can, it'd be somewhat unusual for anyone of the pom variety ( mind you, the frogs aren't a lot better. )

Is there soap and shampoo in the bathroom LC ? Can you EVER get him to take a wash before hopping into the cot ? If you can, it'd be somewhat unusual for anyone of the pom variety ( mind you, the frogs aren't a lot better. )

Definitely, Doc. He takes a shower everyday. Love his just-get-out-of-the-shower smell. Very sexy and clean pom. :o

This is one explanation, the corect one is that when Australia was in need of some convicts as they were a bit short of native ones because there was nothing there worth stealing at the time.

They did a deal with the government of time in the U.K. as to increase the numbers of convicts.

H.M.Gs said they can have the dregs as they wanted to keep the best criminals in the U.K. to keep up the quality of low life and it worked just look at the prison population in the U.K. now, world class scum.

I digress, the ones they sent on prison ships were not first class, captained by Elizabeth Fry of chocolate fame and her 5 boys.

The malnutrition of these poor individuals was apparent as all they were fed on were potatos for months, in fact they ended up looking like them.

When they finally disembarked from what was then the nearest thing to a luxury cruise ship they were spotted by Australian aborigines, as these people at the time could only speak French one asked his mate who these strange people were.

he said dunno, but they look like pomme de terres to me.

The name has since stuck

Don't be shy, unless you ask you won't learn.