MotoGP racer slams Thai motorcyclists for riding on Bangkok pavement

snoop1130

MotoGP racer slams Thai motorcyclists for riding on Bangkok pavement

By The Nation

c6dfe02c927cdc1cb951138db925a063.jpeg

A MotoGP racer posted a video clip on his Instagram page on Sunday condemning Thai motorcyclists for riding on a pavement.

Scott Redding, who rides for the Aprilia Gresini Racing team and took part in the Buri Ram MotoGP Thailand race at the weekend, took a selfie video clip on a Bangkok pavement showing several motorcyclists riding after him.

“No thought given here, look at that. Traffic jam, no problem. They ... up onto the sidewalk and just go,” the British racer said in the post.

Redding, who has over 249,000 followers on his Instagram page, finished 16th in the MotoGP Thailand race on Sunday.

His post was later shared on the MOTOGP Thailand Family Facebook page on Monday, where it attracted much criticism of the errant motorcyclists from Thai fans of the page, who said the pavement riding incident was embarrassing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356119

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-9

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the shocking number of motorcycle road deaths in Thailand each year and the boasting about billions of baht being generated from the MotoGP it's a shame that they could not have used this event to publicize road safety on two wheels. An opportunity missed. But hey, as long as the baht keeps rolling in and the trough gets refilled then the powers that be don't really give a sh1t about reducing loss of life on the roads.

53 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Given the shocking number of motorcycle road deaths in Thailand each year and the boasting about billions of baht being generated from the MotoGP it's a shame that they could not have used this event to publicize road safety on two wheels. An opportunity missed. But hey, as long as the baht keeps rolling in and the trough gets refilled then the powers that be don't really give a sh1t about reducing loss of life on the roads.

They did. There was a big marquee promoting motorcycle safety right outside the track.

2 minutes ago, toenail said:

One of the requirements for a Thai to ride his/ her motorbike in the country is to have an arrogant attitude that they do not have to follow common sense rules and laugh when being shamed by pedestrians ????????‍♀️.

you forgot the ''loud exhaust'' to attract attention, those little boys thrive on it

33 minutes ago, Panwilai82 said:

They did. There was a big marquee promoting motorcycle safety right outside the track.

Outside the track. I would think that most attendees on big bikes already wear safety gear. What was done to target the average helmet-less Somchai on his step-thru through the media on a national level?

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A MotoGP racer posted a video clip on his Instagram page on Sunday condemning Thai motorcyclists for riding on a pavement.

Yet more unwanted international media publicity about what an unsafe place Thailand is. The negative momentum is building and panic is showing itself. One Chinese tourist gets slapped around and the master grovellers are out in force.

Two non-Chinese foreign tourists are gunned down in a sidewalk gun fight and not a squeak out of Prayut or Prawit or even media junkie Big Joke.

26 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Outside the track. I would think that most attendees on big bikes already wear safety gear. What was done to target the average helmet-less Somchai on his step-thru through the media on a national level?

I have no idea, just telling you what I saw. Did you watch Thai TV over the weekend? Do you know the media did or didn't campaign about road safety or are you just assuming?

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Looks like there’ll be a crackdown on people riding their motorcycles on the pavement...............for about a week. 

hardly. although there will be a crackdown on motogp racers who shame thailand's motorcyclists on social media. 

12 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

"Given the shocking number of motorcycle road deaths in Thailand each year" - That's exactly why all those peeps  in the pics were riding on the pavement, because they knew about all those road deaths and didn't wanna be part of the death stats. ????????????

in Thailands defence( and I cant often defend this country as it is so lawless) I can say with experience ( and 9 stiches on my leg) Vietnams ''scooter on pathway'' is far worse than thailands....in summary '' thailands is bad,but it will get worse''

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“No thought given here, look at that. Traffic jam, no problem. They ... up onto the sidewalk and just go,” the British racer said in the post.

That's because there is next to no enforcement here and when they are caught, the fines are a joke, and there are no penalties such as confiscation of the motorcycle.
Also dude, unlike the UK, this country has no cops in cars patrolling the roads and pulling these morons over.  Insane?  Absolutely.  Welcome to Thailand - The Number One Most Dangerous Roads in the World.....for a reason.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I see police riding on the Beach Road pavement throughout the day in Pattaya

I do, too. I hadn't see that before, but a stroll down beach road had motorcyclists coming at me on the sidewalk. I didn't move out of the way, and they looked at me like I was crazy. 

Archived