MotoGP racer slams Thai motorcyclists for riding on Bangkok pavement

snoop1130

While I certainly don't agree with riding on the sidewalks in general, sometimes there is no much choice. Some roads are badly designed with too narrow lanes or too many lanes fit into one road. Also, when there's a traffic jam you often have cars driving on the shoulder that's supposed to be kept empty, or cars parked on the size in a no parking zone. 

For example a junction I take every morning where the highway joins Sukhumvit 62, almost every time I see cars squeezing into 3 rows even though there are clearly 2 lanes marked on the road. Lucky I ride a supermotard so I can climb on the side curb and jump down on a side soi off the side walk to skip this mess.. 

Of course I 100% don't approve of people just riding the sidewalk against the traffic just because they're lazy, or just can't be bothered to filter through cars. 

• Like 1

they ride on footpaths and through market walking areas because they are too lazy to walk in many cases, walking through packed markets and idiots on bikes are hitting their horns or revving their bikes to make people get out of the way, I ignore them. These people simply do not want to find somewhere to park their bikes and walk and it is dangerous, I have seen a few people cleaned up by these idiot riders as they swerve though the crowds. Trouble is the police refuse to do their jobs and get out of their air conditioned offices and actually arrest/fine all the idiots breaking the law, until such time as we get a police force that does what they are paid to it will continue so I doubt it will ever happen

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

There will be an announcement by the Ministerial Misfits in Bangkok shortly to say... ''This was all a terrible Misunderstanding''  !

As if....more likely will be an announcement that he is to be criminally charged for violating the computer crimes act by uploading a video and then blacklisted from thailand for making the country look bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

As if....more likely will be an announcement that he is to be criminally charged for violating the computer crimes act by uploading a video and then blacklisted from thailand for making the country look bad. 

Isn't that a reserved occupation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In fairness, must say this problem is far worse in neighboring countries, such as Vietnam, for example.

Bikers demolish the already shoddy sidewalks in all these countries too.

(Some libertarians I know, think that's an indication of the fundamentally libertarian and even anarchic mindset in this region. ???? Anyone who's spent any time at all living in Thailand knows that's a stretch though.)

To me, it's just chaos by people who don't respect others, which is widespread worldwide, despite all the fake respect rituals, and the wasteful ka/kup of the language in Thailand in particular.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Looks like there’ll be a crackdown on people riding their motorcycles on the pavement...............for about a week. 

The only crack down is when you crack your head on the pavement after being knocked down by one of these pavement riders.

Only answer is the obvious-- take care out there and be alert as these riders think you should get out of their way and you are a problem , not them, TIT>

Seems like Scott hasn't been to Thailand before. 

I'm surprised he didn't post from Buriram with Thai riders with no helmets no head lights on and riding on the wrong side of the road. Let alone the foot path. 

Scott's not a happy boy as he lost his ride in motogp next Yr and will race only in England so no foot path issues for him next Yr. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, toenail said:

One of the requirements for a Thai to ride his/ her motorbike in the country is to have an arrogant attitude that they do not have to follow common sense rules and laugh when being shamed by pedestrians ????????‍♀️.

Sounds good to me... where do i sign up...

18 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Looks like there’ll be a crackdown on people riding their motorcycles on the pavement...............for about a week. 

Nah, Scott Redding will be charged with damaging the image of Thailand

21 hours ago, tso310 said:

Lets be realistic. The pavement is probably a smoother ride than the road and faster.

Trust me, I do it all the time with a bicycle and it's neither smoother nor faster than the road. It is quite a bit safer than the roads, however. I do it for survival, the motorcyclists do it for convenience or to deliver passengers who are too lazy to walk or to make deliveries or because the can get away with it.

You should try it sometime rather than blindly commenting about it. To me it's simply another symptom of the out-of-control Thai "motorbike/cycle disease".

Edited by MaxYakov

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Frankly, the pavements are so full of cracks I can't see it making a difference either way....

Rooster

The pavement outside the Kasikorn Bank on South Pattaya Road is a parking place for motorcycles and has easy access via the kerb side ramps ...  one just has to sidestep the motorcycles as they drive up onto the parking facility... TIT. It's a good job most of the Sois in Pattaya don't have pavements...... well not ones you could walk on anyway !!

The pavement outside the Kasikorn Bank on South Pattaya Road is a parking place for motorcycles and has easy access via the kerb side ramps ...  one just has to sidestep the motorcycles as they drive up onto the parking facility... TIT. It's a good job most of the Sois in Pattaya don't have pavements...... well not ones you could walk on anyway !!
They have pavements but they were stolen