new regulations for retirement visa for Americans?

28 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

In the United States of America, a Notary does not have to be legally qualified.

But in US embassies the person(s) notarizing documents or certifying sworn affidavits does have to be duly appointed to the post by the US Dept of State.

The facts of this whole thing are:

The letter of income that is affected is the one that the British Embassy issues which they will cease issuing from the 12 December 2018.

The letter of income that is supplied by any embassy does not affect those that use the seasoned 800,000/400,000baht in the bank. It only affects those that use the 65,000/40,000baht income based system for their visa extensions. If your country is not going to issue these letters then it only affects those that use the income system and no one else and at the moment it is only the UK that it is going to affect, no one else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

at least specifically Americans in Chiang Mai. 

Someone, I don't recall who, said the need for backup proof was being applied selectively.

Probably not a good idea to go to immigrations in an unwashed Chang tank top and flip flops repaired with duct tape.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

But in US embassies the person(s) notarizing documents or certifying sworn affidavits does have to be duly appointed to the post by the US Dept of State.

Yes- not only are they appointed by the State Department- they have an indefinite Notary Commission from one of the 50 States. As I mentioned earlier- the income affidavit is one of many they will sign and do the oath.

One could use a blank affidavit and  write in your statement and income amounts- I once used the blank form to attest to child support.

It's all the same process- Form; attest to  the info being true;  you sign; Consul signs- applies the seal and date.  No Notary i the Us or at an Embassy overseas states the info attested to is verified as true.  You, as the applicant are taking an Oath that it is true.

Actually, you can then present the Income Letter to the Thai Immigration- they can ask for added proof-  if your proof doesn't add up to what is attested to at the US Embassy- Immigration can  call the Embassy.  The Embassy  can take added action. Normally, it is the FBI that investigates lies under Oath.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I've been in Thailand for 10 years now....done 9 retirement extensions of stay here in Bangkok/Cheang Wattana.  My first extension I used the U.S. Embassy income letter method...no additional source of income proof required by Bangkok immigration.  After that first extension using the embassy income letter, getting more settled to living in Thailand, not enjoying the trek to the U.S. embassy and $50 cost to get the letter, wanting to have a BIG chunk of money in Thailand for emergency purposes,  and a variety of other reasons, I decided to put a little over Bt800K in a Thai bank account so I could also use that money for my annual extension of stay vs the embassy income letter.   Yes, this automatically means I must submit an FBAR each year, but I'm fine with that and always report any interest/dividends I earn anywhere in the world on my federal tax return. Perfectly comfortable with over Bt800K in a Thai bank account, but that's just me.

For quite a few years I kept that Bt800K in a Bangkok Bank "fixed" savings account based on whatever the best fixed promotional rate was.  But the problem with a "fixed" savings account is although you can still withdraw the money at any time if you do withdraw money before the fixed account matures you lose all or most of the interested earned.  Plus there is the Thai tax 15% withholding tax on "any" amount of interest earned on a fixed account....earn Bt1,000 gross interest and Bt150 is withheld/sent to the Thai govt....earn Bt20,000 gross interest and Bt3,000 is withheld/sent to the Thai govt, etc.  Now you can get all or most of this withholding tax refund but you must file a Thai tax return or refund request with the govt which I did for around a half dozen years.  Always got the tax fully refunded through this process but really didn't look forward to filing for the refund every year.    Use of that Bangkok Bank fixed savings account with no additional deposits or withdrawals occurring other than interest and tax withholding transactions worked fine for my annual extension....no need to show money income/transfers flowing into that account throughout the year...for any period of time. Bangkok immigration never asked for any additional income proof.  All that was needed was the bank letter (costs Bt100 to get from the bank....takes about 15-30 minutes to get it) and copy of passbook to be filled with your extension application.  I always got the bank letter same day as the bank branch was located in the Bangkok immigration building and the bank letter was so easy to get.  As mentioned I was using Bangkok Bank for these fixed accounts and no deposit or withdrawal on the day of the bank letter issuance was needed as Bangkok Bank could force an passbook update to reflect current balance with today's date.

Ok, I got tired of doing the annual Thai tax return/refund request and "Krungsri Bank" came out with a savings account called the Mee Taie Dai (MTD) that paid almost the same high interest as a fixed saving account, no tax withholding until total annual interest earned exceeds Bt20K (right now the MTD interest of 1.3% earns around Bt10.4K interest on a Bt800K amount), can withdraw or deposit at any time without any interest penalty, can withdrawal twice a month with no fee but the 3rd and up per month withdrawal incurs a Bt50 fee, account comes with a Visa debit card, comes with ibanking/mbanking, etc.  Basically a regular Thai savings account but pays around 3 times the interest of a regular Thai savings account.   Use of that Krungsri MTD savings account with no additional deposits or withdrawals occurring during the year other than monthly interest payments works fine for my annual extension.  No need to show money income/transfers flowing into that account throughout the year.  Been using the Krungsri MTD account for 3 years now.  Bangkok immigration never asked for any additional income proof.  All that was needed was the bank letter (costs Bt100 to get from the bank....takes about 15-30 minutes to get it) and copy of passbook to be filled with your extension application.  Now with Krungsri Bank apparently they can not do a forced update like Bangkok Bank could to cause the current balance to reflect as today's date in the passbook, but to make that happen you have to deposit or withdraw Bt100 on the bank letter date for the balance to reflect today's date in the passbook.  When I walk up to the bank counter to get the letter, they always mention the Bt100 deposit/withdrawal thing on the day of the bank letter...I make a Bt100 deposit (or I could have withdrawn Bt100) and then they proceed with making the bank letter.

Summary: using the Bt800K in the bank method for my annual extension of stay Bangkok immigration has never asked me for any additional source of income proof.   They see the Bt800K in the Thai bank for at least 3 months, little or no activity in terms of reoccurring deposits/withdrawals over the last year shown on the passbook, etc., and they are fine with this....they are simply looking for at least Bt800K in the account for at least the last 3 months.   Your results may vary.

i have a very high limit credit cards that i do not use in case i need to get e-vac from LOS that will get me home.  i will keep most of my money in America, but i also keep a few thousand U.S. handy here for walking around money.  not sure if the Thai Bank deposits are insured like they are in the States?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That has nothing to do with the non issuing of the income letters which is what this thread is all about, not the extra things that each different office asks for.

The thread is about the issuance of the income letters and whether they will be accepted as sufficient proof of income alone by immigrations or if additional proof will be required.

The post starting the thread states (with specific reference to Chiang Mai) :

On 10/9/2018 at 7:30 PM, tomahawk said:

A friend told me today that CM immigration will no longer acceptt he proof of income caffidavit from US consulate but must now show proof of income. Is this true?

Edited by Suradit69

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

For someone who retired 10, 15 or 20 years ago and living on an adequate income ( adequate to meet the monthly income required by Thai immigrations) having to suddenly pony up $25,000  to meet the money-in-the-bank method because of problems proving monthly income to immigrations ... that would/could be a large amount.  

Not all legitimate retirement income is easily proven by handing over a single pension document.

It might be easier for some to put Baht 200,000 to Baht 300,000 in one's Thai bank and show definitive proof of income sufficient to meet the "combination" method.

I wonder what the math is on the combination method??  Is it 800,000 minus money in the bank divided by 12?

If you have Baht 200,000 in a Thai bank,for example, would that mean you only needed to prove monthly income of 600,000 divided by 12 = Baht 50,000 a month??

The fact is the immigration has figured that most of letters (UK, US) are just base on what many retirees claim at embassy without any proof. 

I found it easier by 800,000. I actually do not have 65000 monthly income (I still have more than 10 years to reach SS retirement). I even don’t know how the combo formula works. I never used it since I decided to pick the easiest way possible. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Someone, I don't recall who, said the need for backup proof was being applied selectively.

Probably not a good idea to go to immigrations in an unwashed Chang tank top and flip flops repaired with duct tape.

can believe how some folks dress for immigration, no class, what do they expect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malibukid said:

can believe how some folks dress for immigration, no class, what do they expect.

If you've got a clean full legit application you'll get approved regardless. They don't reject applications based on appearance but they might tell you to go home and change in extreme cases. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you've got a clean full legit application you'll get approved regardless. They don't reject applications based on appearance but they might tell you to go home and change in extreme cases. 

My point ( in the post previous to the one you were responding to) was that someone claiming to have sufficient income but appearing to be struggling financially might be more likely to be asked for supporting proof of the income he claimed on an embassy letter.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pib said:

I've been in Thailand for 10 years now....done 9 retirement extensions of stay here in Bangkok/Cheang Wattana.  My first extension I used the U.S. Embassy income letter method...no additional source of income proof required by Bangkok immigration.  After that first extension using the embassy income letter, getting more settled to living in Thailand, not enjoying the trek to the U.S. embassy and $50 cost to get the letter, wanting to have a BIG chunk of money in Thailand for emergency purposes,  and a variety of other reasons, I decided to put a little over Bt800K in a Thai bank account so I could also use that money for my annual extension of stay vs the embassy income letter.   Yes, this automatically means I must submit an FBAR each year, but I'm fine with that and always report any interest/dividends I earn anywhere in the world on my federal tax return. Perfectly comfortable with over Bt800K in a Thai bank account, but that's just me.

For quite a few years I kept that Bt800K in a Bangkok Bank "fixed" savings account based on whatever the best fixed promotional rate was.  But the problem with a "fixed" savings account is although you can still withdraw the money at any time if you do withdraw money before the fixed account matures you lose all or most of the interested earned.  Plus there is the Thai tax 15% withholding tax on "any" amount of interest earned on a fixed account....earn Bt1,000 gross interest and Bt150 is withheld/sent to the Thai govt....earn Bt20,000 gross interest and Bt3,000 is withheld/sent to the Thai govt, etc.  Now you can get all or most of this withholding tax refund but you must file a Thai tax return or refund request with the govt which I did for around a half dozen years.  Always got the tax fully refunded through this process but really didn't look forward to filing for the refund every year.    Use of that Bangkok Bank fixed savings account with no additional deposits or withdrawals occurring other than interest and tax withholding transactions worked fine for my annual extension....no need to show money income/transfers flowing into that account throughout the year...for any period of time. Bangkok immigration never asked for any additional income proof.  All that was needed was the bank letter (costs Bt100 to get from the bank....takes about 15-30 minutes to get it) and copy of passbook to be filled with your extension application.  I always got the bank letter same day as the bank branch was located in the Bangkok immigration building and the bank letter was so easy to get.  As mentioned I was using Bangkok Bank for these fixed accounts and no deposit or withdrawal on the day of the bank letter issuance was needed as Bangkok Bank could force an passbook update to reflect current balance with today's date.

Ok, I got tired of doing the annual Thai tax return/refund request and "Krungsri Bank" came out with a savings account called the Mee Taie Dai (MTD) that paid almost the same high interest as a fixed saving account, no tax withholding until total annual interest earned exceeds Bt20K (right now the MTD interest of 1.3% earns around Bt10.4K interest on a Bt800K amount), can withdraw or deposit at any time without any interest penalty, can withdrawal twice a month with no fee but the 3rd and up per month withdrawal incurs a Bt50 fee, account comes with a Visa debit card, comes with ibanking/mbanking, etc.  Basically a regular Thai savings account but pays around 3 times the interest of a regular Thai savings account.   Use of that Krungsri MTD savings account with no additional deposits or withdrawals occurring during the year other than monthly interest payments works fine for my annual extension.  No need to show money income/transfers flowing into that account throughout the year.  Been using the Krungsri MTD account for 3 years now.  Bangkok immigration never asked for any additional income proof.  All that was needed was the bank letter (costs Bt100 to get from the bank....takes about 15-30 minutes to get it) and copy of passbook to be filled with your extension application.  Now with Krungsri Bank apparently they can not do a forced update like Bangkok Bank could to cause the current balance to reflect as today's date in the passbook, but to make that happen you have to deposit or withdraw Bt100 on the bank letter date for the balance to reflect today's date in the passbook.  When I walk up to the bank counter to get the letter, they always mention the Bt100 deposit/withdrawal thing on the day of the bank letter...I make a Bt100 deposit (or I could have withdrawn Bt100) and then they proceed with making the bank letter.

Summary: using the Bt800K in the bank method for my annual extension of stay Bangkok immigration has never asked me for any additional source of income proof.   They see the Bt800K in the Thai bank for at least 3 months, little or no activity in terms of reoccurring deposits/withdrawals over the last year shown on the passbook, etc., and they are fine with this....they are simply looking for at least Bt800K in the account for at least the last 3 months.   Your results may vary.

I am on an OA visa with extensions, any problem opening that MTD account, presently with BKK Bank went on there website but I could not pull up the interest they were paying only sayin it was higher

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Good Lord!.  It would be so darn easy for the BE to simply issue the letter-  call it a Statutory Declaration- like the Aussies - put the disclaimer on it and give it to the applicant. They go to Thai Immigration. Up to Thai Immigration to ask for added proof if they need it or suspected issues.

I would venture a guess that 99% of all  Income Letters  are legit- regardless of Nationality. We're talking about people age 50 and up- hardly fit the profile of  thieves and scalliwags or those taking jobs from the locals. The  vast majority live a quiet lifestyle and make do with the income they have.  We may have a pint or two but hardly anyone dancing on the ceiling!!

Yes, I imagine when the dust settles on this issue Thai immigrations will find that asking immigrations officers to verify every extension applicant's source of income will be impractical, unworkable (and possibly amenable to far greater corruption) and it would be easier to accept an income letter from each embassy in most cases especially for those applicants showing evidence of regular foreign sourced deposits to their bank accounts here. 

There has always existed the possibility of an I/O asking for additional supporting proof of income depending on his/her discretion.

• Like 2

For those not paying close attention to one of the other threads on this subject, another member here and I have emailed the U.S. Embassy ACS unit in BKK over the past 24 hours and now twice received two different answers to the same basic question, as follows. Note that the answer the other member received has a final sentence saying no plans to cease issuing the income affidavits, whereas the answer I received, twice, even after sharing the answer he received, does not include that final sentence. Take your pick....

The answer the other member received, twice:

1565145640_ACS3.png.897267cd52406400a66f0051de224d55.png

The answer I received, twice!

1723574776_ACS2.jpg.238387044eb15ff7760cb17aaf4010b4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i have a very high limit credit cards that i do not use in case i need to get e-vac from LOS that will get me home.  i will keep most of my money in America, but i also keep a few thousand U.S. handy here for walking around money.  not sure if the Thai Bank deposits are insured like they are in the States?

Yes, deposits are insured by the govt....see below.

http://www.dpa.or.th/ewt_news.php?nid=320&filename=index___EN

image.png.2902f24349df96a1e77ee271d48f2b04.png

• Like 1

My very competent and knowledgeable visa agent informed me last week that I will need to provide 2 items this year in addition to an income verification affidavit from the Consulate. One is a letter or other document showing that I receive my US government pension monthly and the amount (I have documents from OPM in that regard). Second is some type of documentation that an acceptable anount is deposited into my Thai bank account monthly (I made copies of my bank passbook showing that to be the case every month this year). My agent has reviewed the documents and told me that the documents will be sufficient...and we will find out for sure next week when we go to immigration to extend my visa. 

1 hour ago, Leatherneck said:

My very competent and knowledgeable visa agent informed me last week that I will need to provide 2 items this year in addition to an income verification affidavit from the Consulate. One is a letter or other document showing that I receive my US government pension monthly and the amount (I have documents from OPM in that regard). Second is some type of documentation that an acceptable anount is deposited into my Thai bank account monthly (I made copies of my bank passbook showing that to be the case every month this year). My agent has reviewed the documents and told me that the documents will be sufficient...and we will find out for sure next week when we go to immigration to extend my visa. 

Chiang Mai?

On 10/10/2018 at 6:45 AM, marcusarelus said:

What bank in the USA would the government not know your balance?

None of them as this sort of balance information is not provided to the IRS.  US banks are required to provide to the IRS 1099-INT statements which do not indicate your balance in the account just the interest earned.  FATCA requires information from US citizens with overseas accounts (which many, if not most living overseas would naturally have) that it does not require from citizens with US accounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Good Lord!.  It would be so darn easy for the BE to simply issue the letter-  call it a Statutory Declaration- like the Aussies - put the disclaimer on it and give it to the applicant. They go to Thai Immigration. Up to Thai Immigration to ask for added proof if they need it or suspected issues.

I would venture a guess that 99% of all  Income Letters  are legit- regardless of Nationality. We're talking about people age 50 and up- hardly fit the profile of  thieves and scalliwags or those taking jobs from the locals. The  vast majority live a quiet lifestyle and make do with the income they have.  We may have a pint or two but hardly anyone dancing on the ceiling!!

This is 'sarcasm', right?

If not, check out the LONG, recent, TV thread regarding 'many expats living in Thailand on less than 45k/month'.

Alternatively, why are their so many 'visa agents' offering 'no-hassle' retirement visas?

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Yes, well aware that agents are  'lending' money to those who want a retirement extension.  However, my point was that those who do go the Embassy Letter route are mostly honest because they can actually prove their income.  I can certainly prove mine- easily.  I could place 65K in a Thai account but why- when all any Embassy has to do is issue a statutory dec and let the Thai IO ask for added information if they suspect a lie or forgery.  Then let them come back to the Embassy with 'evidence' the person lied if they can't provide added docs. The US Embassy can notify the FBI to investigate.

At some point- there has to be a basic trust.  However, the issue of 'lending' funds is an issue between the agent and the IO-- Agents could not offer this 'service' if the IO did not allow it.   I do believe the Immigration Act allows the IO to make exceptions to such things as seasoning etc. 

The fact is that many retired persons who are in their 70s and more- worked 50 years ago when incomes were low and thus their retirement pension is on average as you stated- 45K per month.  The average US Social Security Pension is around $1300 per month  -bout 43,000 Thai Baht. Is it no wonder both UK and US expats come to Thailand. At least here they  can live a dignified existence- compared to their home countries. I hope somehow this all gets sorted out so those people who have lower incomes can remain and continue a dignified existence. The sad part is that countries so wealthy as the UK and USA can't increase their citizens pensions to a livable amount. Can  you imagine trying to live in London or New York on these amounts.

I don't know the percentage but based on the expats I know (along with hearsay and comments here), using the terms 'mostly honest', '99%', is inaccurate.

I'm guessing 50/50 among those using the 'income letter/affidavit'.

7 hours ago, quandow said:

wrote about this to the U.S. embassy in Bangkok. They were less than helpful, basically "It's not our job now FOAD."

Not quite ure I understand your post- What question did you ask and what was their exact answer.

Others have indicated that no change in the foreseeable future!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, quandow said:

I wrote about this to the U.S. embassy in Bangkok. They were less than helpful, basically "It's not our job now FOAD."

Come on....they did not say that.  Post what you asked or at least post a snapshot of their reply.