Correct Procedure to Obtain an Extension of Stay/Retirement Visa.

With all the publicity surrounding the clamp down on Agents etc, what is the correct/legal way to obtain an Extension of Stay/Retirement Visa providing you are 555 plus ?

if one gets a 60 Day Visa from Hull extends it by another 30 at Immigration can it then be ‘converted to an Extension of Stay/Retirement Visa providing they still have 15 Days left on the 30 day Extension ?

Does the 800000 baht have to be in a Thai Bank for 2 or 3 months if it is the first application ?

You cannot directly apply for an extension of stay with a tourist visa entry.

The first step is to apply a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. That requires 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension of it. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the date you apply (60 days not required) and you also need proof it was transferred into the country from abroad. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you would apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The first step is to apply a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. That requires 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension of it. The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the date you apply (60 days not required) and you also need proof it was transferred into the country from abroad. See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you would apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

Thanks Joe, the link is in Thai, how do you apply for a Change in Visa status 

Edited by jamie2009
Another question

11 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Thanks Joe, the link is in Thai, how do you apply for a Change in Visa status 

Click Eng here image.png.6a842fbc6296ac03b60cd2b55233d4b0.png at the top right side of the page. It may take a little bit for it to show after opening the page.

If it ever shows - and then when you click on change visa for retirement you (or at least i) get a page for that information but containing  

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR SPOUSE, CHILDREN, PARENTS OF FOREIGN TEACHER IN THAILAND

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If it ever shows - and then when you click on change visa for retirement you (or at least i) get a page for that information but containing  

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR SPOUSE, CHILDREN, PARENTS OF FOREIGN TEACHER IN THAILAND

The change visa page in English is one big batch of translation errors. ( https://www.immigration.go.th/content/change_visa ).

The real one is number 9 on that page that shows this.

image.png.01721f27777fab67bafe2ee074548a21.png

When you use Google translate on the page in Thai it shows this.

image.png.1a1404cc5c8568570c239e201399a799.png

After over a year of dealing with it I know most of the correct ones from memory.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The change visa page in English is one big batch of translation errors. ( https://www.immigration.go.th/content/change_visa ).

The real one is number 9 on that page that shows this.

image.png.01721f27777fab67bafe2ee074548a21.png

When you use Google translate on the page in Thai it shows this.

image.png.1a1404cc5c8568570c239e201399a799.png

After over a year of dealing with it I know most of the correct ones from memory.

Thanks again for all your  assistance Joe

The office where you apply for the initial Non-O 90-day stamp is important for you to consider, and must be the one serving the area where you will be staying when you apply.  In what area will you be staying?

Some do things by the book (such as Chang Wattana in Bangkok).  But some others - such as Jomtien/Pattaya - will insist on seasoned-money in a Thai bank (2 months) and be generally troublesome via making up non-existent rules.  One office was recently reported adamantly denying the Non-O stamp is possible at all, and that one must get a Non-O Visa from a Thai-Consulate abroad (which is possible as a workaround).

But, at the problem-offices, if you pay an agent 10x+ of the actual cost of the process, somehow all the problems will magically go away.  Given this, you can guess why they make the problems for in-person applicants. 

The official fees you pay in-person are 2000 Baht for the Non-O 90-day Stamp + 1900 for the 1-year extension.

Edited by JackThompson

On 10/10/2018 at 11:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

Can I change this Visa to an Extension of Stay,

Non-Immigrant Category "O" Visa on the basis of being a UK State Pensioner

12 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

You could do for retirement, being over age 50 and meeting the 800k in bank account 2 months or proof of 65k per month income or combo.  You can not extend just on basis of being on a pension from some country - but any pension income could be used to meet income requirements.

22 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

You can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement with a 90 day entry from that category of visa. No change is needed.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:35 PM, JackThompson said:

The office where you apply for the initial Non-O 90-day stamp is important for you to consider, and must be the one serving the area where you will be staying when you apply.  In what area will you be staying?

Some do things by the book (such as Chang Wattana in Bangkok).  But some others - such as Jomtien/Pattaya - will insist on seasoned-money in a Thai bank (2 months) and be generally troublesome via making up non-existent rules.  One office was recently reported adamantly denying the Non-O stamp is possible at all, and that one must get a Non-O Visa from a Thai-Consulate abroad (which is possible as a workaround).

But, at the problem-offices, if you pay an agent 10x+ of the actual cost of the process, somehow all the problems will magically go away.  Given this, you can guess why they make the problems for in-person applicants. 

The official fees you pay in-person are 2000 Baht for the Non-O 90-day Stamp + 1900 for the 1-year extension.

The matter of the office at which you apply is of considerable interest to me. If I lived in Chiang Rai initially, and I was granted permission to live in retirement in Thailand, what would happen in subsequent years if I chose to move to Hua Hin? Could I apply for an extension in Hua Hin or would I have to travel to Chiang Rai each year?

3 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Could I apply for an extension in Hua Hin or would I have to travel to Chiang Rai each year?

Yes you could.

You would have to formally change you address at the immigration office in Hua Hin to apply for the extension there.

• Like 1

I intend to get a Single Entry Non Immigrant O Visa from Hull, my intention was too then get an Extension of Stay (Retirement Visa) 30 Days before it expired. 

As I travel 3/4 times a year too the U.K. I am sure I read on the Forum there is another Extension, Multi Entry I can apply for ?

You have the option of using multi entry non immigrant O visas for up to 90 day stays - obtained from a Consulate and not many will issue for retirement - more common for marriage.

Obtain a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa which provides a one year stay on each entry during the year it is valid.  Obtained from Consulate with proof of financials/medical/police report.

Extend a non immigrant O visa as mentioned for one year at immigration in Thailand and then obtain a multi re-entry permit to allow travel/returns during the one year permitted to stay.

15 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

I intend to get a Single Entry Non Immigrant O Visa from Hull, my intention was too then get an Extension of Stay (Retirement Visa) 30 Days before it expired. 

Are you 65 or over and drawing a state pension? If not you will not get one in the UK. If yes you could also get a multiple entry non-o visa at the embassy in London.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you 65 or over and drawing a state pension? If not you will not get one in the UK. If yes you could also get a multiple entry non-o visa at the embassy in London.

Forgot to mention over 65 and in receipt of the U.K. State Pension.

5 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Forgot to mention over 65 and in receipt of the U.K. State Pension.

Not problem then to get the single entry non-o visa at Hull. 

Then apply for the one year extension of stay and then a multiple re-entry permit to keep it valid when you make your trips out of the country.

2 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Can the 800000 baht be in a joint account or has it to be in a sole account ?

If has to be in your name only. Some offices will accept a joint account with 1.6 million baht in it though.

On 10/16/2018 at 9:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not problem then to get the single entry non-o visa at Hull. 

Then apply for the one year extension of stay and then a multiple re-entry permit to keep it valid when you make your trips out of the country.

What is the minimum number of days I need have left on my Non Immigrant O Visa too apply for an Extension of Stay ?

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can apply on the last day of permitted entry (nothing to do with visa expiration date - which may have gone bye).

Apologies I will have a 90 Day Non Immigrant Single Entry Visa based on being in receipt of my U.K. State Pension obtained from Hull. I was under the impression there had to be a minimum numbers days left on it to allow me too apply for an Extension of Stay

6 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

I was under the impression there had to be a minimum numbers days left on it to allow me too apply for an Extension of Stay

There is no minimum number of days to apply for an extension. You can apply at any time during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry from your visa.

There is only a minimum number of days to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration. Perhaps confusion between visas and extensions of stay