British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected

webfact

2 minutes ago, jinners said:

VYCM, and what exactly gives you the impression that it will only be the 'cheaters' or those not wishing to comply that will be adversely affected? Or the moaners. You always make such crass generalisations?

As I said

For those of us that are genuine it looks good, possible to stay with the statement option.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, VYCM said:

As I said

For those of us that are genuine it looks good, possible to stay with the statement option.

If they accept it, to date Udon & Khon Kaen are insisting on the income letter.

If what she is saying is true, then they need further dialogue with Imm and to urge the Head of Immigration to instruct all offices that Bank Statements or even a Bank Letter is acceptable showing and verifying the 400/800k per year equating to 40/65k per month and this should be posted in all Imm offices & on their website for all to see, Until then its all the same 

7 minutes ago, VYCM said:

As I said

Correct, here's what you actually said.

"I’m sure it’s only the ones that do not comply, false statements etc that have a concern.

There will always be the lousy miserable moaners and blamers.

These people will never be happy, they are in the wrong and are desperately rocking the boat, making waves.

For those of us that are genuine it looks good, possible to stay with the statement option."

so basically, anyone that uses the method you use, presumably by statement you mean 800k in the bank, they are OK. Anybody not doing so is either a cheat or blamer/moaner.

Thankfully your idiocy makes no difference to anything otherwise quite a few, me included would be in your negative category, ready to be kicked out. You always so loose with facts?

3 minutes ago, VYCM said:

As I said

I repeat, they still want the letter for the monthly income route, I have a more than adequate pension to abide by the regulations but a bank book is useless without the letter, luckily for me I can rely on the German embassy to confirm my German pension, Brits with a British income can't. 

If what she is saying is true, then they need further dialogue with Imm and to urge the Head of Immigration to instruct all offices that Bank Statements or even a Bank Letter is acceptable showing and verifying the 400/800k per year equating to 40/65k per month and this should be posted in all Imm offices & on their website for all to see, Until then its all the same 
There is one thing I'm 100% sure of and that's is there is no way that immigration will make an effort to change the system to suit ONE embassy

7 minutes ago, jinners said:
17 minutes ago, VYCM said:

As I said

Correct, here's what you actually said.

"I’m sure it’s only the ones that do not comply, false statements etc that have a concern.

These people will never be happy, they are in the wrong and are desperately rocking the boat, making waves.

For those of us that are genuine it looks good, possible to stay with the statement option."

so basically, anyone that uses the method you use, presumably by statement you mean 800k in the bank, they are OK. Anybody not doing so is either a cheat or blamer/moaner.

Thankfully your idiocy makes no difference to anything otherwise quite a few, me included would be in your negative category, ready to be kicked out. You always so loose with facts?

Why are you being so hostile?

Did you listen to the interview?

She said people with a statement showing 65k per month comply.

7 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
11 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

There is one thing I'm 100% sure of and that's is there is no way that immigration will make an effort to change the system to suit ONE embassy

You're on to something that I think should concern ALL nationalities.

The Brits are moving forward with this.

They will cancel the letters.

They will try to get buy in from Thai immigration to accept income applications without letters but with NEW AND ONEROUS rules that have never existed before.

(Full import of claimed income, no mention of combo, must be MONTHLY imports).

A bad case scenario I can easily imagine that might sprout from this (thanks a bunch British embassy!) is that Thai immigration which already (understandably) has doubts about the verification process of the embassies to the letters may well do something like this --

Stop requiring the letters or at least be open to many embassies stopping them

Instituting ONEROUS RULES to prove it otherwise.  ONEROUS rules which the British embassy is now promoting (based on what seems to be a misunderstanding from one website!). ONEROUS rules that have NEVER existed before.  Perhaps on everyone.

In other words, 

-- no acceptance of pension letter printouts

-- no acceptance of proof of imports into non-Thai banks

-- no acceptance of import timing other than monthly

-- no acceptance of imports less than full income claim even if the full income PAYMENT can be documented otherwise

-- no acceptable of combo method

Will this happen? I don't know. But the door has been opened. 

3 hours ago, TommyDee said:

Actually, once implimented and understood  it will make life for everyone easier..  this was out interview with the British Embassy..  makes it very clear.. I think anyway ????

How about closing all existing threads and starting a new one beginning at this interview?

4 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
9 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

I tend to agree, but it will largely depend on who instructs them to do it. If a senior government minister does, perhaps one who has an interest in the Thai banks, then we might be pleasantly surprised. Its highly likely that the people at the top of the immigration tree aren't fully aware of the actual official requirements for foreigners to extend their stay, and virtually certain that they are not aware of the unofficial hoops various IOs make foreigners jump through; with the new broom being currently wielded by Big Joke it is possible that many of these will actually stop, and what the BE are saying may come to pass. I'm not holding my breath though.

In the the Interview the Notary officer stated that this has always been the case of Immigration accepting Bank Statements showing the 400/800k per year equating to the 40/65k per month....and it has been certainly to get an OA Visa but if that was the case for an extension of stay why were having to pay 52 quid for a letter when a copy of my Bank Book / Statements would suffice.

3 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

In the the Interview the Notary officer stated that this has always been the case of Immigration accepting Bank Statements showing the 400/800k per year equating to the 40/65k per month....If that was the case why were having to pay 52 quid for a letter when a copy of my Bank Book / Statements would suffice.

Because immigration passed the buck and have just had it given back, having always been their responsibility whether they knew it or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

In the the Interview the Notary officer stated that this has always been the case of Immigration accepting Bank Statements showing the 400/800k per year equating to the 40/65k per month....and it has been certainly to get an OA Visa but if that was the case for an extension of stay why were having to pay 52 quid for a letter when a copy of my Bank Book / Statements would suffice.

It has always been the case for money coming INTO a Thai bank account. You have needed this income letter

46 minutes ago, VYCM said:

From what I have heard and read it’s the Good Guys in Bad guys out.

I’m sure it’s only the ones that do not comply, false statements etc that have a concern.

At the end of the day it will make all of us doing the right thing benefit as these horrible moaners will go back home.

I’m looking forward to posting on Thai visa and not to have to put up with the delinquents that reply.

Partly right but also so wrong. Read my post #974. I am legit and I have legitimate concerns.

Posts in breach of Forum Rules removed:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

45 minutes ago, VYCM said:

As I said

Those that are genuine have had the 65k baht month salary option removed from them. Those that are bad and have used a visa agent to " create" a fictitious bank account with 800k baht in it, still have that option.

So it's good guys out, bad guys in. Or do you suggest that those of us who've played it by the book become bad guys?

34 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Why are you being so hostile?

Which is a lie. Immigration insist on an embassy letter and no other proof of income. What part of this don't you understand?

the book...thats a bank statement  here ????

Not at all. Passbooks have abbreviated and limited information, especially if they are not regularly updated. For full account details, I need to print out a bank statement.

56 minutes ago, VYCM said:

As I said

So what are you saying? That those that use the embassy letter to prove that they have 65k baht month income aren't genuine?

Troll.

51 minutes ago, Expattaff1308 said:

65,000 a month = 780,000 

a yr. 

A better deal.

Just finished going through the latest posts and had a few comments.

I love Thailand and overall I like living here, Thailand has been very good to me, but I'm glad this next extension will likely be my last given all the uncertainties (and even that has a bit of uncertainty around it as it is early next year). I have other reasons for heading home later in 2019, the possibility of having to jump through more hoops is just a nudge.

I receive substantially more than the 65,000 baht (unless the dollar drops a lot more against the baht I am OK there for the foreseeable future - if it dropped that much, probably a good sign to leave anyway). I have never had my pension or social security payments deposited into an account here and never will. I have had Thai bank accounts and never used them, but I think Thai banks are OK. It's the uncertainty around things that is at least one factor in feeling that way. What if things change or I suddenly am just denied an extension, I don't want to be stuck unable to get my money out. I could have my son get enough money from my bank account and put in his, where he could transfer via Bangkok Bank's NY branch, but why? Maybe I'd be thinking differently if life's situation wasn't already nudging me towards returning home (for now at least, maybe not forever). Since I stopped drinking I don't use nearly all the money I get from my home bank already (amazing how big a difference that makes, 3 bottles of Tullamore Dew or scotch a week adds up).

I appreciate a lot of the thoughtful input here on Thai Visa from experienced members. I would say I won't be missing some of the trolls who post, but well I don't think I will stop following Thai Visa or get Thailand out of my system anytime soon, so guess I'll still be seeing those.

Also my experiences with Thai Immigration have always been good and professional. I hope they will change policy if needed but that is Thailand's decision to make not ours. I agree with Jingthing's suggestion that if they accept bank statements it include foreign bank accounts as well. I might have to change my account type to get paper statements but that would be ok,

In the future, maybe I'll decide to return here, or maybe I'll go to the Philippines when my ex retires. I've heard Ireland is in talks to make it easier for Americans to retire there, that would be my dream.

Guess I'll still be following this intently for a while. ????

16 minutes ago, Spidey said:
1 hour ago, VYCM said:

As I said

Those that are genuine have had the 65k baht month salary option removed from them. Those that are bad and have used a visa agent to " create" a fictitious bank account with 800k baht in it, still have that option.

So it's good guys out, bad guys in. Or do you suggest that those of us who've played it by the book become bad guys?

Interesting interview, but I see it as something of a missed opportunity. Why didn't he ask her about the discrepancy between what British Citizens are required to provide and what citizens of other countries have to provide? She can't speak for other embassies, but she can certainly ask Thai Immigration why the American Embassy, for example, does not need to verify the income.

She was wrong about the requirement for a letter from the Embassy. Just showing 65k deposited into a bank account every monthly doesn't prove anything.  It would be very easy to just to cycle the same 65k into and out of a bank for a year. That doesn't prove anything. What Thai Immigration need is evidence that you have income for the current year, not last year.

It's disappointing that 5 months after the meeting, and after already announcing the change in policy, she doesn't know what is actually happening on the ground. These are the requirement as listed on the BKK immigration website. See point 6.

image.png.fedb8eb71eb54cf7e6cdb0b957aa0b81.png

These are the requirements as given to me this month by an immigration officer in the BKK office.

image.png.3dd8584e06b115de565df01fb14cf513.png

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:
1 hour ago, VYCM said:

As I said

So what are you saying? That those that use the embassy letter to prove that they have 65k baht month income aren't genuine?

Troll.

No, that is what you are saying.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It isn't a total relief. The changes she is "confirming" (albeit weakly) have potential to have future negative impact on Thai immigration rules for all (required full monthly import is a MASSIVE NEGATIVE CHANGE) especially if other embassies become tempted or pressured to stop their letter service as well. 

I think it's a good idea.

A person may very well have the income required by Immigration. I think the intention of Immigration is for retirees to spend a minimum of 65,000 Bt per month, or 800k per year for the privilege of retiring in Thailand.

Presently, just because a person has the income doesn't guarantee it's going to be spent in Thailand. They could still be tempted to work illegally, or, spend less than the 65,000 Bt to try and preserve savings.

I was told a few years back by Immigration that this money should come from overseas, but, it wasn't strictly enforced. That was always the intention and I think that'll be the next thing that will be enforced. 

OK, flame away......

Actually, once implimented and understood  it will make life for everyone easier..  this was out interview with the British Embassy..  makes it very clear.. I think anyway ????

This interview annoyed the hell out of me as she only provided typical, politician type answers.

She kept constantly dragging the interview back to what we already knew - i.e. Immigration rules re. money in Thai bank/income required - whilst studiously avoiding the fact that Immigration offices around the country still demand a 'proof of income' letter from the applicants' embassy!

A vague promise to visit Pattaya etc. if there are problems, just doesn't 'cut it' for obvious reasons.  Although perhaps I'm being unfair, and she really does intend visiting every Immigration office in the country and will have the 'clout' to ensure that they give up on their demand for an Embassy proof of income letter for the Brits. alone ????!

So what's going to happen now Tommy?

Let me tell you. Many people will have listened to your show and are now safe in the knowledge that if they diligently deposit 65k baht in their Thai bank accounts every month they will be fine.

They will do this for the next 12 months and turn up at the IO, bank book in hand, and try to renew their visa extensions.

The IO will refuse the extension, telling them that they need an embassy letter or proof that they have had 800k baht in their Thai bank account for the last 3 months. Realising that this is impossible they will then say, "but, but, Tommy Dee said....." at which point the immigration officer will fall about on the floor laughing.

He will then pick himself up and cancel their visa and order them to book the next flight back to Blighty.

You, Tommy Dee, will have no doubt played your part in separating numerous expats from their families.

Well done mate, are you proud of yourself?

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:
4 hours ago, TommyDee said:

So what's going to happen now Tommy?

Let me tell you. Many people will have listened to your show and are now safe in the knowledge that if they diligently deposit 65k baht in their Thai bank accounts every month they will be fine.

They will do this for the next 12 months and turn up at the IO, bank book in hand, and try to renew their visa extensions.

The IO will refuse the extension, telling them that they need an embassy letter or proof that they have had 800k baht in their Thai bank account for the last 3 months. Realising that this is impossible they will then say, "but, but, Tommy Dee said....." at which point the immigration officer will fall about on the floor laughing.

He will then pick himself up and cancel their visa and order them to book the next flight back to Blighty.

You, Tommy Dee, will have no doubt played your part in separating numerous expats from their families.

Well done mate, are you proud of yourself?

I thought the interview was fair and challenging.

Archived