Needed - A Water Pump Plumber

rohitsuk

I should be immensely grateful if anyone can suggest a plumber who could fix the short-cycling problem that has developed and recently become very much worse, with my Hitachi water pump.

There is lots of info on the forum about water pump maintenance for they who are clever enough to understand it but alas not me.  I live near Big C at the Mahidol Road / Superhighway intersection but will gladly pay the Grab fare if the chap has no transport.

Cheers !

Before you engaged anyone, try bleeding the pump,

on top you will see a big nut loosen that off till water

flows freely, (with pump switched off ) tighten nut back

up and see if its working ok.

regards worgeordie

11 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

I also have a water pump problem, small leak.  Directions to Ang Tong , Charoenraj Rd from Kaeo Nawarat Rd

maybe time to invest in a street map of Chiangmai ?

The short cycling sounds like the air pressure in the rubber bladder is low - should be 30-40 psi. You can check the valve on top with a pressure gauge. It should look just like a tire valve.

If there is water in the bladder ( i.e. leaking ) it will have to be replaced.

Edit: worgeordie's advice is also good if it's a pump without a bladder.

27 minutes ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Rumak  ... I was looking for a sensible response  !     already have a map and know the road

when i came here there was no internet.....no mobile phones....and no people like you.

But, i truly am sorry for my response.  I should have said   TRY GOOGLE    as i just did :

I always use the place on Charoenrat Rd. Driving from the Riverside /Good View (north) you come past the Brasserie and just before Kaew Nawarat intersection theres a place in a row of wooden shophouses called Ang Tong (can't guarantee name is right as I always just go there and never really notice). They also have storage and workshop on the other side of the street. They sell, install, fix pumps and have been in this business since probably around the time my grandmother was born. Never had a problem.

I have in the past tried other places too but they never come through with the maintenance. One being a place out on the north side (inside) of the superhighway can't remember the name.

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Before you engaged anyone, try bleeding the pump,

on top you will see a big nut loosen that off till water

flows freely, (with pump switched off ) tighten nut back

up and see if its working ok.

regards worgeordie

Many thanks Worgeordie but I had already tried that, without success I am afraid. 

When in the UK I am just down the road from you, between Bishop and Barnie in Co Durham, and although, a Yorkshireman, mind yer accent would be home to me bonny lad.

I have a question that was brought on by this topic.

What exactly is short-cycling?

I have a brand new Hitachi too, and I have noticed that when I open a faucet very low, the pump will turn on and off fairly rapidly. This does not happen when I open a faucet at a higher level.

I had assumed that this is because the pump takes a while to register low pressure when a faucet is slightly open.

However, the phrase short-cycling has made me wonder if I should pay more attention and possibly have the pump repaired if this is considered an issue and is not normal behavior for a pump.

1 hour ago, Wandr said:

I have a question that was brought on by this topic.

What exactly is short-cycling?

I have a brand new Hitachi too, and I have noticed that when I open a faucet very low, the pump will turn on and off fairly rapidly. This does not happen when I open a faucet at a higher level.

I had assumed that this is because the pump takes a while to register low pressure when a faucet is slightly open.

However, the phrase short-cycling has made me wonder if I should pay more attention and possibly have the pump repaired if this is considered an issue and is not normal behavior for a pump.

Short cycling, I believe, is used to describe when the pump is turning itself on and off when it should not be i.e. when no tap is turned on calling for the pressure to be pumped up.  My own pump kicks in for about three seconds every fifteen minutes or so wasting the electricity and wearing out the pump. 

I think that you have identified the activity of your own pump correctly, turning on and off when a tap is only slightly on and I do not think that this is a fault like mine but I am no expert so please consult other opinion.

3 hours ago, Wandr said:

This is normal and nothing to worry about.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, rohitsuk said:

Short cycling, I believe, is used to describe when the pump is turning itself on an off. My own pump kicks in for about three seconds every fifteen minutes or so wasting the electricity and wearing out the pump.  

The short cycling of your pump, turning on/off when no tap is open, means you have a small leak somewhere.

A normal system without leaks should hold pressure for several days without cycling. Check round the pump and the pipes from the pump to the house.  

:smile:

Archived