Trump - missing journalist no reason to stop Saudi investments

webfact

2018-10-11T212518Z_2_LYNXNPEE9A1TV_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump holds a campaign rally in Erie, Pennsylvania, U.S., October 10, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he saw no reason to block Saudi Arabian investments in the United States despite concern over a missing Saudi journalist, saying the Gulf nation would then just move its money into Russia and China.

Trump, speaking to reporters at the White House, also said the United States was expecting a report soon on the journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, but gave no other details.

"They're (the Saudis) spending $110 billion on military equipment and on things that create jobs ... for this country. I don't like the concept of stopping an investment of $110 billion into the United States, because you know what they're going to do? They're going to take that money and spend it in Russia or China or someplace else," Trump said.

Trump's comments prompted pushback from members of the U.S. Senate, including from some of his fellow Republicans, many of whom signed a letter on Wednesday forcing his administration to investigate Khashoggi's disappearance and paving the way to possible sanctions on Saudi officials. [nL2N1WQ27X]

"If it's found that they murdered a journalist, that will hugely change our relationship," Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, told reporters at the Capitol.

"If it turns out to be what we all think it is today but don't know, there will have to be significant sanctions placed at the highest levels," Corker said.

Corker and other lawmakers also said it would be very difficult for the Trump administration to win congressional approval for arms sales to the Saudis. Many lawmakers, including some Republicans, have already questioned U.S. support for Saudi's involvement in the civil war in Yemen, which has prompted a humanitarian crisis.

Under U.S. law, major foreign sales of military equipment can be blocked by Congress. There is also an informal process in which key lawmakers, including the Foreign Relations chairman and ranking Democrat, can put "holds" on arm sales.

Senator Bob Menendez, the top Democrat on the committee, has already placed a hold on a major sale of Raytheon precision-guided munitions, out of concerns they could be used to kill Yemeni civilians. [nL1N1TU15I]

Menendez, who led the letter to Trump with Corker, said he felt the sale would be blocked if it were to go ahead despite his hold. "I think there's a growing sense that it has to be a message to the Saudis," he told reporters.

(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle, Jeff Mason, Richard Cowan and Lisa Lambert; Writing by Patricia Zengerle and Susan Heavey; Editing by Doina Chiacu and Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-12

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump never stops lying. His claim of $100 billion of new arms sales to KSA has been fact checked and proven to be false. USA has only got MOUs for the large majority of sales, letter of intent, which any commercial vendor would never claim as an actual sale. Usual attempt o f BS baffles brains by trump.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Is this talking about US investments or Trump Industries investments into Saudi Arabia?

Khashoggi only holds US permanent residency. It is not like he is a true US citizen or anything. Even if he was a US citizen, those Trump investments in Saudi Arabia would come first. It is well known that reporters are expendable.

Profits over human rights win out any day in this new White House.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"If it's found that they murdered a journalist, that will hugely change our relationship,"

You mean the relationship where you can buy things with money will be changed hugely? What a novel concept.

Looks to me as if the U.S. is in the "indignant outcry" phase of the relationship, which will be followed by a bit of bluster, then relenting, then a foundation for the victim, then business as usual.

"If it's found that they murdered a journalist, that will hugely change our relationship," Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, told reporters at the Capitol

Thats some fine virtue signaling ever.   

6 minutes ago, Becker said:

Could you translate that from something resembling trumpspeak into a coherent and understandable sentence?

Sure. Corker pretending to be aghast.As if a murder in the middle of mutiple wars is going to reverse arms sales or relarionships. Just another pathetic attempt to virtue signal for a retiring deep state corker. 

2 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

Sure. Corker pretending to be aghast.As if a murder in the middle of mutiple wars is going to reverse arms sales or relarionships. Just another pathetic attempt to virtue signal for a retiring deep state corker. 

Please see post # 15.

56 minutes ago, newatthis said:

In other words: "They're got us by the short n curlies."

I would prefer your statement reads "They've got Trump by the short n curlies."

(Stormy will agree with "short". I don't think she commented on the curlies.)

18 minutes ago, farcanell said:

http://time.com/money/5188095/donald-trump-net-worth-2018/

having lost 25% of his net wealth since becoming potus, he can’t really afford to alienate all of his business partners

ammendment 25!!!

3.5 billion to 3.1 billion since he took office is not exactly 25%. The 25% would be compared to 2016, so from before he took office.

I still think it is less than that 3.1, but this is the same source, so the comparison is valid.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he saw no reason to block Saudi Arabian investments in the United States despite concern over a missing Saudi journalist, saying the Gulf nation would then just move its money into Russia and China.

That’s no reason to not do the right thing. 

There's a reason why the US constitution contains an "emoluments clause."  It's so our government leaders won't be hostage to foreign governments for personal gain.  Which is exactly what's going on with Trump and Saudi Arabia. 

[Business from Saudi-connected customers continued to be important after Trump won the presidency. Saudi lobbyists spent $270,000 last year to reserve rooms at Trump’s hotel in Washington. Just this year, Trump’s hotels in New York and Chicago reported significant upticks in bookings from Saudi visitors.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/‘i-like-them-very-much’-trump-has-long-standing-business-ties-with-saudis-who-have-boosted-his-hotels-since-he-took-office/ar-BBOgkNm?ocid=wispr

And Trump supporters still not bothered by this? 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

3.5 billion to 3.1 billion since he took office is not exactly 25%. The 25% would be compared to 2016, so from before he took office.

I still think it is less than that 3.1, but this is the same source, so the comparison is valid.

Damn... you fake newsd me... quite correctly, my mistake.... the tears of laughter blurred my vision ????????

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

What I worry about is what's happening behind the scenes.  Trump could be getting (or promised) millions to go along with whatever the Saudi Royal family wants to do.  And Trump seems to have obliged.  Same with the Russians.  That's no way to conduct foreign policy.  The very definition of corruption. 

you're right to worry as with every politician. They dont need hotel receipts from Trump hotels of all the places. 

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

If you are truly a trump supporter, not a troll, no wonder trump gets away with his 5000 plus to date proven lies / misinformation. One can only hope a new President is elected in 2020 to heal the damage caused both domestically and internationally by the trump idiocracy. In the meantime hopefully the US public wakes up & blocks further destruction by the idiocracy in the mid-term elections.

Trolling equals those a different point of view? if youre going to defeat Trump you're going to need a better offer to gain middle of the road and conservative voters. Also some likeable characters to sell it.

Archived