Jump to content

Nong Khai customs seize 38 million baht in cash from three Laotians - return 6 million


webfact

Recommended Posts

Nong Khai customs seize 38 million baht in cash from three Laotians - return 6 million

 

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

 

Customs at the Thai-Laos Friendship bridge seized 38 million baht in cash being transported in two secret compartments in a Toyota Camry. 

 

The money was hidden under foodstuffs. 

 

The three Laotian occupants of the car - who were not named - said they got the money in dry and fresh food sales and exchange deals.

 

They were returning to Laos when they were stopped. 

 

They were detained but have so far been fined 20,000 baht each and given back 2 million baht each. 

 

The rest of the money was banked and will go to the treasury later. The car that had made frequent trips between the two countries was also confiscated.

 

Investigations are under way to see if it might be drug money. 

 

Customs said that this was the third large cash seizure recently - in other 98 million baht and 30 million was confiscated. 

 

Two more busts are in the pipeline, said the customs. 

 

Source: Sanook

 
thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-12
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

ouch! they dont know what the money is for but just took it. Such nice customs cops. They did stash it to hide it from the cops.

Doesn't matter if it was "clean" money.. You are not allowed to bring that much cash over a boarder without declaring it. They are lucky they even got some back!

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

Doesn't matter if it was "clean" money.. You are not allowed to bring that much cash over a boarder without declaring it. They are lucky they even got some back!

This is something I've been wondering - I plan on coming back to Thailand soon, and after all this noise about immigration not accepting affidavits of income, I'm thinking of bringing cash to put in a bank account. If I cross the border with, say, $30k U.S. and declare it, will that get me in some kind of trouble?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, quandow said:

This is something I've been wondering - I plan on coming back to Thailand soon, and after all this noise about immigration not accepting affidavits of income, I'm thinking of bringing cash to put in a bank account. If I cross the border with, say, $30k U.S. and declare it, will that get me in some kind of trouble?

Yeah, you will probably be mugged within 10 minutes or less after crossing the border.

 

If you do not already have a bank account, I recommend that you open one first. Then transfer your money electronically (SWIFT, Transferwise, etc.).

Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Yeah, you will probably be mugged within 10 minutes or less after crossing the border.

 

If you do not already have a bank account, I recommend that you open one first. Then transfer your money electronically (SWIFT, Transferwise, etc.).

Yes that works and I have transferred millions of baht in and out over the years using this method.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...