Crazy 2nd Hand Product Prices In Thailand

I've lived here in Thailand for a while and have never really understood some of the prices people are looking at for their second hand stuff, its outrageous - are they just hoping someone will fall for it or do people really pay all sorts of silly money for something 2nd hand.

Example, a notebook computer was recently advertised for the bargain price of 100,000 Baht, second hand - This same notebook retails for less than 70,000 baht in HK and the USA. I could literally afford a return business class ticket to HK, two nights in a hotel and all food and entertainment expenses and pop back with this notebook brand new for less than the price of this second hand one.

Computer's tend to be the worst, I often see 2nd hand P4 2.0Ghz or similar with people wanting 30,000+ baht for it, because they paid 60,000 3 years ago - I can get a more powerful brand name computer for half that new. Often I see 2nd hand cameras here for sale at a higher price than one can find it brand new for in Thailand. Do people really pay these sort of prices for second hand goods?

In any country there are always people that think they are such good salespeople that they can sell sand in Saudi Arabia. The same applies in Thailand.

In any country there are always people that think buying second hand is such a bargain they don't do appropriate research on the cost of new goods. the same applies in Thailand.

When the two groups meet....

Soundman.

There doesn't seem to be much secondhand trade in Thailand at all.

Compared with Australia, alot grew up around "the trading post" "crap convertors" "eb#y" "sunday markets" "swap meets" "pawn shops" "garage sales".

Reasons?

Imo> Cheap local made stuff that doesn't last.

> Just not the same amount of income to buy things that have a s/h value.

> Thais use stuff till its stuffed.

> Maybe a "snob" thing not wanting used goods....MAYBE I don't know this.

Could anyone shed more light on this whole post?

Compared with Australia, alot grew up around "the trading post" "crap convertors" "eb#y" "sunday markets" "swap meets" "pawn shops" "garage sales".

Reasons?

There are hundreds of second hand websites and newspapers. The second hand market in Thai is huge. A unique example is the big market in Arun, where all the UN donated clothes & personal items from Cambodia are smuggled to Thailand, & then resold to Thai citizens.

try this...

http://www.thaisecondhand.com/

One example.

Cheers,

Soundman

The funny pricing of used computers is not uniqe to Thailand. People do the same in the west.

I think many non computer people who own computers (you know what I mean) don't understand how fast the prices fall. The result is the prices you see sometimes being asked for used computers that make you laugh.

So 2 views were put forth in this thread:

1. People asking for outrageous prices for used goods are stupid

2. There is not much used goods market in Thailand because the quality is too bad and people are too poor to afford anything anyway.

Considering that both statements contain no truth and show a bit of ignorance about Thailand, they say a lot about the posters putting them forward

TH

I wouldnt say stupid, but certainly greedy and out of touch. Theres a second hand store here on Phuket, Its quite a big one, furniture and most bits and pieces there actually cost more money than brand new identical items, sometimes quite a lot more.

I just wonder if people do actually end up buying these items at these prices or if they actually end up getting sold off cheaper.

Reasons?

There are hundreds of second hand websites and newspapers. The second hand market in Thai is huge. A unique example is the big market in Arun, where all the UN donated clothes & personal items from Cambodia are smuggled to Thailand, & then resold to Thai citizens.

try this...

http://www.thaisecondhand.com/

One example.

Cheers,

Soundman

Just wonder how you came about this info ? It certainly corroborates with info i have been told before (but could not confirm/beleive at the time)

So this is where all the second hand shoe sales in thailand get their supplies from...

Just wonder how you came about this info ? It certainly corroborates with info i have been told before (but could not confirm/beleive at the time)

So this is where all the second hand shoe sales in thailand get their supplies from...

Ha ha ha,

Is that why many people's shoes are always approximately the same colour, but two different sizes....

Watch what your staff read when they are changing residences or after pay day, look at the web site history on the office computer. You'll get a reasonable idea of where the thai's shop for second hand goods.

As to the market in Arun... Go visit and ask a few questions... & make up your own mind as to where all the western style, western size Reeboks 7 gentleman's shoes come from.

Cheers,

Soundman.

The mobile phones are a bit wierd to me and got me thinking. I've had lots of mobile phones over the years and I either:-

1) Give it to a friend or family member if I buy a new one (usually within 18 months)

2) Throw it away if it's a couple of years old.

3) It gets upgraded for free every year or so, as it's a company phone.

Actually, 3 was the most frequent so I suppose I had no reason to think about it. But now I do, because the missus buys all sorts of aftermarket protective covers (no more company phones for me...) and insists that I use them, then after 6 - 12 months she sells them at a good price. She gets between 50% and 75% of the original price, and often sells them online at Pantip. At first I thought that it was all a bit silly (or stupid even), but that's because

1) I was wasteful. The few thousand baht meant nothing to me.

2) I was wasteful and a bit silly (maybe even stupid).

It's the same with everything in our house. She looks after everything well with the thought of selling them later, to help the upgrading process. Very sensible. In fact it's a good example of the sufficency economy idea - less waste, recycling, tighter money control, thoughtful economics. (She also uses it to control me and keep me in my place)

Edited by jasreeve17

I'm always amused when people make accusations of greediness about a free market. Your perception of greediness is another’s perception of a good profit… :o

TH

So I'm assuming that if I sold a cheapo electric fire to an unspuspecting granny in urgent need of heating for 500,000 baht you would be appluading me, or if I sold a piece of coal to someone intellectually challenged as a "future diamond" for 30,000 baht.

People can still get ripped off in a "free market" even though I don't believe there is any market in the world that could be classified as anywhere near truly free.

2. There is not much used goods market in Thailand because the quality is too bad and people are too poor to afford anything anyway.

Considering that both statements contain no truth and show a bit of ignorance about Thailand, they say a lot about the posters putting them forward

TH

Well by not adding relevant info to this thread you show a considerable amount about yourself..

tit4tat over........

I've done a bit of seaching around los and have not found anywhere near the same trade, if it is on Thai language web sites well I'm out on that not being able to read thai.

I'm happy to be proven wrong. I love s/h

Examples here in Melbourne

Tommorrow Sunday there are 4 large and a few small mostly secondhand markets.

As many as 15 cash convertors plus a multitude +50 of other pawn shops thru out metropolitan Melb.

Recently there was "The Berwick Swap Meet" a massive once yearly s/h swap 300+ stalls with a couple of other mega swaps during the year again many smaller ones

Today within a radius of 10 ks there would have been 30 or so garage sales and in the lead up to xmas that would be double.

Every town within the metro melb has atleast 1 op (oportunity shop) shop, this would add up to +100 shops.

I could go on.

I'm sure it exists just I've not seen this anything like this level in los.

Anyone with more info to the contrary?

Thanks soundman for the links/info

tit4tat over........

I've done a bit of seaching around los and have not found anywhere near the same trade, if it is on Thai language web sites well I'm out on that not being able to read thai.

I'm happy to be proven wrong. I love s/h

Examples here in Melbourne

Tommorrow Sunday there are 4 large and a few small mostly secondhand markets.

As many as 15 cash convertors plus a multitude +50 of other pawn shops thru out metropolitan Melb.

Recently there was "The Berwick Swap Meet" a massive once yearly s/h swap 300+ stalls with a couple of other mega swaps during the year again many smaller ones

Today within a radius of 10 ks there would have been 30 or so garage sales and in the lead up to xmas that would be double.

Every town within the metro melb has atleast 1 op (oportunity shop) shop, this would add up to +100 shops.

I could go on.

I'm sure it exists just I've not seen this anything like this level in los.

Anyone with more info to the contrary?

Thanks soundman for the links/info

Originally from Melb. myself, I know what your are talking about.

In thai, things are just in different places, not exactly where you would expect to look for them.

Go for a drive on any highway outside BKK & you will see numerous s/h "go-downs" specializing in everytning from recycling to the sale of second-hand building materials.

Any market "dalat nut" you go past will probably have a reasonable percentage of s/h stalls with everything from clothes to electronics.

Happy hunting,

Soundman.

TH

True. Another common assumption is "I'm not buying... so no one is buying... there must be a bubble in the market just waiting to burst."

:o