Have you learned anything new since retiring in ChiangMai?

Thailand

By that I mean, sports, language,new skills etc.

Personally, took up golf, learned to play, sort of!

Learnt to speak to Thai to a reasonable level, regret not learning to read or write but still time hopefully.

Learned how to make websites, mainly for personal use.

Current project under consideration but yet to lift off, learn to speak Mandarin Chinese.

45 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Learnt to speak to Thai to a reasonable level, regret not learning to read or write but still time hopefully.

Learning  to read will help your Thai Language skills so much

Highly Recommend Payap intensive Thai

"Highly Recommend Payap intensive Thai...."

The teachers (they call themselves "professors") are incompetent, but if you can force yourself to endure, you will eventually learn something, it's true. 

*I too learned how to read and write Thai, although the writing part is mostly history. 

*I have learned just how unreliable Thais actually are and how shoddy the workmanship is here. 

*I've learned about some nice Northern Thai cuisine I didn't know about before. 

* I learned how to get pain pills for my dog that are over the counter in the USA but treated like heroin here.

6 minutes ago, meechai said:

Learning  to read will help your Thai Language skills so much

Highly Recommend Payap intensive Thai

My spoken Thai is quite good but- 

I tend to think learning Mandarin will be next,maybe, I doubt if I will get around to reading and writing Thai as well. Who knows.

I guess you have learned to read write and speak Thai since retiring then?

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Personally, took up golf, learned to play, sort of!

Learned how to make websites, mainly for personal use.

Current project under consideration but yet to lift off, learn to speak Mandarin Chinese.

How long have you been staying in Thailand (not as tourist)?

Why do you need to learn Mandarin Chinese in Thailand? Or did some province became a Chinese province?

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

How long have you been staying in Thailand (not as tourist)?

Why do you need to learn Mandarin Chinese in Thailand? Or did some province became a Chinese province?

Long time.

I don't NEED to learn Mandarin, it would simply be another tool to keep my mind  active in my twilight years.

So back on topic, what have you learned?

Learned to speak central Thai to a level where I can get by in shopping, traveling, etc by myself around the country and learned to read Thai to a higher level.  Learned to type Thai so that I can send emails, etc.  

Learned how to use a some canned software to do surveys, produce newsletters, manage emails lists, keep track of finances, etc.  Was doing that already for our small business when I retired, but since retirement I've done it for a couple of clubs.  It's been interesting to see how that technology has advanced since we had our small business over a decade ago.  Would have been nice to have had tools like that available when we had our business.  

21 hours ago, Thailand said:

My spoken Thai is quite good but- 

I tend to think learning Mandarin will be next,maybe, I doubt if I will get around to reading and writing Thai as well. Who knows.

I guess you have learned to read write and speak Thai since retiring then?

Yes I learned in  2012 at Payap

Reason it is so helpful is you pronounce so much better/more correctly if you just try to say what you read/see written in Thai

If you read an English pronunciation of a Thai word & say it half the time you will be wrong

Writing you will rarely use & I actually type Thai fine but forget already some letters if I need to pen write them.

A great way to learn is once you can read take part in some Thai forums. Thai's are so happy & helpful when they they see a foreigner type Thai.

Trust me they know right away by our structure (compared to theirs) of sentences 555

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

So back on topic, what have you learned?

I've learned to

- speak some central Thai

- know a few words of Lanna Thai

- read basic Thai.

- know more northern Thai cuisine

- know more places in Chiang Mai

- learnt some misconception regarding Thai people

Archived