Winxp Startscreen And Sound

h90

Friends, the OP is not talking about his Desktop picture or his 'error' noises. He/she wants to change the black Windows XP screen, as well as the enigmatic noise, that occurs when the computer is turned on.

I remember this used to be very easy to do in Win98, but I haven't tried it on XP just yet. Anyway, Google seemed to have favoured me over you and I found this link:

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic720.html

As I said, I haven't tried it myself, but it looks easy enough. Chok dii!

Cheers,

BFD!

To change all windows system sounds Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Sounds Tab

Options include Start Windows Windows Logoff & Logon. Windows Explorer Sounds {recycle bin etc.} are found towards the bottom of the list under a separate section.

HTH

Regards

PS If you do Google you will find some Vista like sound sets are now available for XP as well

PPS A useful program for exposing these 'hidden' elements within Windows is XPSysPad

To change all windows system sounds Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Sounds Tab

Options include Start Windows Windows Logoff & Logon. Windows Explorer Sounds {recycle bin etc.} are found towards the bottom of the list under a separate section.

HTH

Regards

PS If you do Google you will find some Vista like sound sets are now available for XP as well

PPS A useful program for exposing these 'hidden' elements within Windows is XPSysPad

Right you are. Sorry, I posted too quickly. All the sounds can be changed there, but the splash screen is a bit more complicated.

BFD!

Sorry forgot to add the splash screen point. Must get this new brain from Curry's run in... stapling machine...

Easiest way, if memory! serves, is

Create a BMP (? I think) image and save it as boot.bmp in systemroot, usually c:\windows

Then

Start -> Run ->MSCONFIG Select Boot.ini Tab Check /NOGUIBOOT

Apply

Now when you boot the system will display your image. If not you will see the drivers loading, which is what is concealed behind the splash screen.

This is simpler then amending .exe files etc. but I did this a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure it will work with XP SP 2 etc. but it is easy to recovery from, simply open MSCONFIG and uncheck /NOGUIBOOT :o

HTH

Regards

Sorry forgot to add the splash screen point. Must get this new brain from Curry's run in... stapling machine...

Create a BMP (? I think) image and save it as boot.bmp in systemroot, usually c:\windows

Then

Apply

Now when you boot the system will display your image. If not you will see the drivers loading, which is what is concealed behind the splash screen.

This is simpler then amending .exe files etc. but I did this a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure it will work with XP SP 2 etc. but it is easy to recovery from, simply open MSCONFIG and uncheck /NOGUIBOOT :D

HTH

Regards

I tried that. And I just get a black screen when starting. I love that!

But I get a scary window: "You have used the System Config Utilitiy..... For diagnose, blabla switch back to normal...."

:o

Another thing, can I also get rid of the login screen, as only I work on the computer so no password necessary?

Edited by h90

Then

Apply

This is simpler then amending .exe files etc. but I did this a long time ago so I'm not 100% sure it will work with XP SP 2 etc. but it is easy to recovery from, simply open MSCONFIG and uncheck /NOGUIBOOT :D

HTH

Regards

I tried that. And I just get a black screen when starting. I love that!

But I get a scary window: "You have used the System Config Utilitiy..... For diagnose, blabla switch back to normal...."

:o

Another thing, can I also get rid of the login screen, as only I work on the computer so no password necessary?

Hi,

Came to post that I'd just got an email from a MS friend of mine advising me that the boot.bmp option was closed as a possible security issue, however I'm also advised that there is an undocumented switch /BOOTLOGO.

Therefore if you add /BOOTLOGO /NOGUIBOOT in that order to the command in boot.ini the boot.bmp {16 colour only} should appear.

The msconfig advisor "prompt" can be switched off, by selecting the 'do not display...' box. MS always nags when a change is made even though in this case all you've turned off is the advert.

If you select return to original, then the XP splash will be reloaded.

For log on, access user account setup Start -> Control Panel -> User accounts -> change way users log in

HTH

Regards

// edit punctuation & /BOOTLOGO//

Edited by A_Traveller

Download "StyleXP" from the net, with this utility you can change splash and logon screens easily, best to use this if you don't know what your doing as to change your splash screen you need to modify the XPKernel as the splash is within this file, if you mess it up you will need to use your XP CD to boot your computer up as the XPKernel is used as part of the bootup sequence. StyleXP mods the Kernel for you via a GUI, and also backs up the changes its made for easy back tracking.

Sol

Edited by solent01

I really don't think you should be messing with the kernal for such a superfluous thing. It's only something you see for three seconds so why risk messing up your whole operating system?

Edited by cdnvic

Also an important thing to remember...........

You can download some good splash screens from the net (1000's of them on 100's of sites), when you tell StyleXP the splash screen you want to use it copies an edited version of XPKernel (over writing your original file after backing it up), however, you need to be absolutely sure that the modified version is compatible, as when you update windows with service packs the kernel is rewritten to that service pack edition ie. SP1 or SP2, so if you change the Kernel with a modified version intended for SP1, but in fact you are running Windows XP with SP2 you will bugger things up.......

cdnvic is right, if you don't know what you are doing, its best just to leave things alone. If you mess this process up bad enough you may be left with no option but to format the harddrive and reinstall (seen it happen).

Edited by solent01

I really don't think you should be messing with the kernal for such a superfluous thing. It's only something you see for three seconds so why risk messing up your whole operating system?

yes I won't do that....

black screen and no sound is already fine :-)