One-Time Re-Entry Permit Question (on retirement visa)

Question re One-time re-entry permit (on retirement visa):  I will be returning to Chiang Mai from a trip to the USA on a Saturday, but have to fly down to Pattaya on the following Monday in the morning, and I will be there for 5 days before returning to Chinag Mai.  In other words, no time to visit Chinag Mai Immigration to update my TM30 from the international trip.

My questions:

• Is there a time limit on updating the TM30...In other words, can I update it once I return from Pattaya (which would be 7 days after having actually entered the Kingdom)?

• Can I update the TM30 at Chon Buri (Pattaya) Immigration, even though I am living in Chiang Mai?

• Is Promenada still where you would do this, or has it moved to the new offices?

• Do I need anything other than my passport (I.e.: rental contract) to do this?

• And finally, what is the point of this procedure anyway?  I mean, it seems like a needless pain in the a** considering I already have to go through Immigration at the airport upon arrival from USA!  

Edited by WaveHunter

If are going to be staying in a hotel or similar in Pattaya they should do the report of your arrival.

If you were to show Chiang Mai immigration proof you were not in Chiang Mai on the date you could of done the TM30 they would not be able to fine you for not doing the report.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Did I not read a post a while back saying that those with Retirement extensions returning to the Kingdom don't need to do the TM30 report, especially if you have been here a long while and living at the same address ??

Not so. I thought that and was fined at immigration for not submitting a TM30 after returning from a very short overseas trip.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 1DegreeN said:

Not so. I thought that and was fined at immigration for not submitting a TM30 after returning from a very short overseas trip.

Not so, have left many times in the past and returned to the same place, would go to report back at Immigration here in Pattaya and was told don't bother.....lol.....????????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

Did I not read a post a while back saying that those with Retirement extensions returning to the Kingdom don't need to do the TM30 report, especially if you have been here a long while and living at the same address ??

It entirely depends upon the office your report to. Some only want them if you change addresses.

• Thanks 2

CM Immigration has been a stickler for this... As said go as soon as you return from Pattaya... Have a copy or receipt from you Pattaya Hotel or better yet your airplane boarding pass showing arrival the previous day to prove you were there and unable to comply promptly.

No form to fill out - the lady at the desk just updates your new arrival card number in their computer and makes a note in your passport

Edited by sfokevin
  • Thanks 1

You shouldn't have a problem.  Two different officers have told me that doing the updating within 4-5 days is acceptable and, given your circumstances, you should be okay.

In answer to a couple of your other questions:

(1)  Everything is moved to the new (old) office near the Airport and that's where you do the updating.

(2)  You only need your passport (with the your new departure card).  Nothing else is needed.  Presuming you've got your TM30 Receipt of Notification stapled in your passport, the staff will enter a bit of info (likely the new entry date and new departure card number) on their computer and place a new date stamp on your existing Receipt of Notification (or, if it's full of stamps or a bit shredded, they'll print out a new one for you). 

Don't believe you can update in Chon Buri as Chiangmai is your registered address.

I have little clue as to the  "point" of all this given their computer already knows your registered address and given you've confirmed that again on the arrival card you just handed them.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If are going to be staying in a hotel or similar in Pattaya they should do the report of your arrival.

If you were to show Chiang Mai immigration proof you were not in Chiang Mai on the date you could of done the TM30 they would not be able to fine you for not doing the report.

Sorry but I'm a little confused.  Just to recap.  I will fly back into CNX from the USA late on a Saturday, and then will fly to Pattaya early Monday morning (before CNX Imm opens), so no time to visit Imm in CNX. 

Are you saying that when I do return to CNX 7 days later, I should show them proof that I flew back out of CNX bound for Pattaya, and that a TM30 was filed for me by my hotel in Pattaya for the period I was visiting, and those two things will satisfy CNX IMM in regard to the delay of reporting to them the previous week when I actually arrived back in Thailand?

...And, is Promenada 2nd floor where you still do this, or has it moved to the new Imm offices (not even sure if they opened yet)?

Edited by WaveHunter

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Are you saying that when I do return to CNX 7 days later, I should show them proof that I flew back out of CNX bound for Pattaya, and that a TM30 was filed for me by my hotel in Pattaya for the period I was visiting, and thos two things will satisfy CNX IMM in regard to the delay of reporting to them the previous week when I actually arrived back in Thailand?

No

Just show Chiang Mai immigration the reason you could not do the TM30 report within 24 hours of arrival at your residence.

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

.And, is Promenada 2nd floor where you still do this, or has it moved to the new Imm offices (not even sure if they opened yet)?

Everything has moved to the office near the airport that is now open.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for everybody's input.  I have to say, I don't understand why this step is even necessary.  What I mean is, if Imm has recorded my re-entry from abroad at the airport, why is it even necessary to visit the Imm office.  Why can't everything just be done at the airport.  It seems very inefficient, not only for the visa holder, but for the Imm office, and all the other people queuing for Imm services??? 

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Everything has moved to the office near the airport that is now open.

Can you point me to a thread on here about the new Imm office by the airport, like days and hours of operation, feedback of how things are working out there (compared with how they were at Promenada)?  I tried to search on here but can't find a thread; same with general google search.  Their website has not been updated since August.

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Can you point me to a thread on here about the new Imm office by the airport, like days and hours of operation, feedback of how things are working out there (compared with how they were at Promenada)?  I tried to search on here but can't find a thread; same with general google search.

You should be able to find some info in this topic or do a post in it asking about it.

• Thanks 1

As I understand it, even if you were able to register at CM Imm on your first arrival, once you have then stayed in Pattaya (and assuming the hotel registered you there) then legally you should re-register again on your return to CM. 

Whether CM actually require you to do this I have no idea, but there was a report a few months ago from a Phuket Immigration officers recommending that you re-registered whenever you have been away from your home province for more than 24 hours.  

• Thanks 1

Basically, assuming you own and live in your own property, you should register EVERY time you return to to that place from a trip OUTSIDE Thailand. If, however, you return to Thailand and go to stay in a different town etc for a break, then wherever you stay, the landlord/receptionist/owner of THAT property should register you. You do not need to go yourself.

when you return to your own town/ home, then YOU should go to local immigration to register.

if you were to return to Thailand, and go straight back to your own home, you need to register as soon as possible. If you then go on a trip somewhere else within Thailand, you do NOT need to register, as it will once again be the responsibility of the hotel or owner of whatever property you stay in ( even if it is just a friends house ). When you go back to your own home after this trip, you do NOT need to re-register.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, anfh said:

Basically, assuming you own and live in your own property, you should register EVERY time you return to to that place from a trip OUTSIDE Thailand. If, however, you return to Thailand and go to stay in a different town etc for a break, then wherever you stay, the landlord/receptionist/owner of THAT property should register you. You do not need to go yourself.

when you return to your own town/ home, then YOU should go to local immigration to register.

if you were to return to Thailand, and go straight back to your own home, you need to register as soon as possible. If you then go on a trip somewhere else within Thailand, you do NOT need to register, as it will once again be the responsibility of the hotel or owner of whatever property you stay in ( even if it is just a friends house ). When you go back to your own home after this trip, you do NOT need to re-register.

This sounds excellent in theory... But I would still have a copy of your Pattaya Hotel receipt and your BKK-CM boarding pass that shows your date of arrival back in Chiang Mai when going to CM Immigration to save yourself possible grief...

4 hours ago, steve73 said:

As I understand it, even if you were able to register at CM Imm on your first arrival, once you have then stayed in Pattaya (and assuming the hotel registered you there) then legally you should re-register again on your return to CM. 

Whether CM actually require you to do this I have no idea, but there was a report a few months ago from a Phuket Immigration officers recommending that you re-registered whenever you have been away from your home province for more than 24 hours.  

CM Immigration so far is requiring updating (presuming you're returning to your TM30 registered address) ONLY if you're returning from abroad.  No updating is currently required if you've been traveling within Thailand regardless of the time you're gone from your TM30 registered address in Chiangmai province.  This information applies to CM Immigration (what other provinces do is beyond me). 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

Joe, can you not do the report at a police station on arrival back in the kingdom if the immigration offices are closed? 

5 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Joe, can you not do the report at a police station on arrival back in the kingdom if the immigration offices are closed? 

Most police stations will not accept them.

Immigration does understand that you cannot do the report in some cases within 24 hours if they are closed.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 8:17 AM, Kerryd said:

It seems to be "hit or miss" as some places apparently still expect it while others don't and some places want it sometimes, for some people, but not for others.

For example, in Jomtien I've never been asked about it (on a Retirement extension and living at the same address for over 6 years now).

But last winter a friend of mine, who was here on a multi-entry tourist visa, went to Jomtien to inquire about the TM.30 and had to go through the process of filling out the form and paying the fine.

Personally, if I leave the country and come back, I will go to Jomtien with a TM.30 just to cover my @**. If they don't want it, too easy. If they take it, then I'm covered (and won't have to worry about it again until the next trip out of the country).

And the "point" of the TM.30 is so that they can try and keep track of all the foreigners in the country. Some countries obviously don't give a crap if millions of people visit their country and they have no idea where they are or what they are doing.

Other countries do care.

Wasted an hour of my life at Jomtien on Tuesday submitting a TM30 following a trip to the UK only to be told not to bother next time as those on Retirement extensions who remain at the same address don't have to do it, only those on tourist visas.

As I have still not managed to see that written down in Thai law anywhere I'll continue to do the report each time I think as relying on the word of an immigration officer's word 'last year' isn't going to stop a fine if they decide to enforce it differently next time.

Edited by gmac
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, gmac said:

Wasted an hour of my life at Jomtien on Tuesday submitting a TM30 following a trip to the UK only to be told not to bother next time as those on Retirement extensions who remain at the same address don't have to do it, only those on tourist visas.

As I have still not managed to see that written down in Thai law anywhere I'll continue to do the report each time I think as relying on the word of an immigration officer's word 'last year' isn't going to stop a fine if they decide to enforce it differently next time.

Probably a good idea especially considering the new Boss is running around cracking the whip. I remember not long after the last coup someone was having a problem getting a Thai license. (Used to be if you had a foreign license and an IDP they'd basically just take your photo and hand you a license.)
The guy said he had to the do the whole routine (watch the video, do the reaction, colour vision and other test) just like everyone else. He was told they had to do everything "by the book" because the Army was watching everything they did and if they did things the "old way" they'd be in trouble.

Might be the same thing with Immigration (for awhile) and of course, if the local Immigration Chief gets promoted or posted somewhere else, the next guy could have a totally different idea on how things should be run.

• Like 1