O visa child

• If you're looking for a visa/extension of stay to stay with a Thai child there is no age limit. The child can be any age. You would need an income of at least 40K pm, or have 400K in the bank on the day you apply for the extension.
  • If you want a visa/extension of stay on the basis of being financially supported by a Thai child you need to be over 50. There isn't a set amount of income the Thai must earn, but immigration might ask for proof of their income.
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • If you're looking for a visa/extension of stay to stay with a Thai child there is no age limit. The child can be any age. You would need an income of at least 40K pm, or have 400K in the bank on the day you apply for the extension.
  • If you want a visa/extension of stay on the basis of being financially supported by a Thai child you need to be over 50. There isn't a set amount of income the Thai must earn, but immigration might ask for proof of their income.

Thank you. I was wondering since both of my kids are approaching the age of 20 and leaving 400k in the bank is more appealing than leaving 800k in the bank.

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM) (2) Proof of family relationship (3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto; (4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or (5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Thanks OP for responding

There is a clause for retired people being supported by their Thai children, no need to show any amount of money. 

99% of immigration officers will not know this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

There is a clause for retired people being supported by their Thai children, no need to show any amount of money. 

Thank you for responding. Do you have a citation for this clause? It would help when talking with immigration.

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I see this in a police order. Are you saying that since no income requirement is specified for the father under maintenance of children then there are no income requirements? I would think there would be some kind of income requirement for the children. Does anyone know if one has been posted or is it left up to the discretion of each immigration official.

image.png.ac778ebc7f6b9ca6b42c143a8e3de22f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfmanjack said:

I see this in a police order. Are you saying that since no income requirement is specified for the father under maintenance of children then there are no income requirements? I would think there would be some kind of income requirement for the children. Does anyone know if one has been posted or is it left up to the discretion of each immigration official.

image.png.ac778ebc7f6b9ca6b42c143a8e3de22f.png

Immigration will almost certainly want evidence of the child’s income; however, the amount required is not set in stone so the decision regarding income would come down to the immigration officer/s processing the application.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 1:47 AM, elviajero said:

What about this part?

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age;

It looks to me like they are saying that once the child reached 20 years old I can't get a visa to support the child.

9 minutes ago, wolfmanjack said:

What about this part?

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age;

It looks to me like they are saying that once the child reached 20 years old I can't get a visa to support the child.

That clause is for a foreign child (not Thai) that wants permission to stay with their foreign parent or Thai family.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:47 AM, elviajero said:

I think it used to read the child has to be under 20yrs old or in university, not married and living home. Has this changed? As you are referring to, my Thai kids could be well over 20 and as long as I the parent have 400k in bank or 40k per month it is ongoing forever?

I think this needs to be looked at again or all of these years I have been reading it wrong? Or this was just updated? I have been on one of these extensions for a long long time no.w

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I think it used to read the child has to be under 20yrs old or in university, not married and living home. 

Not in the last 2 police orders for the past 10 years.

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

As you are referring to, my Thai kids could be well over 20 and as long as I the parent have 400k in bank or 40k per month it is ongoing forever?

You never stop being the parent of a Thai no matter how old they are. That is the basis for the extension not to support them so there should be no reason for that to end.

The most recent addition done was the line in the clause about being supported by your child if 50 or over reinforces the fact that being a parent never ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not in the last 2 police orders for the past 10 years.

You never stop being the parent of a Thai no matter how old they are. That is the basis for the extension not to support them so there should be no reason for that to end.

The most recent addition done was the line in the clause about being supported by your child if 50 or over reinforces the fact that being a parent never ends.

THNX UBJ. Haven't yet decided to do the PR as this year I am suddenly swamped with no time with travel outside, so the ongoing being a parent is a really good thing. Will be interesting what Joke will bring up for the foreigners who are clean and abide by the rules and aren't working here but bring in money..

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I think this needs to be looked at again or all of these years I have been reading it wrong?

An extension based on being the parent of a Thai is often, wrongly, referred to as a ‘dependant visa’, or similar. That implies the foreigner is being given permission to stay because the are financially supporting the child which can cause confusion and misunderstanding.

The permit to stay is issued purely on relationship — which will never change — and the parent just needs to show they can fund their 1 year stay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

I may go down this "extension - Thai child" road next year.

Currently on "Retirement extensions" although married.

I have a Thai child (12 years old)

I have read the Police Order 327_2557 section 2.18 and 2.19.

I am assuming that I would apply using 2.18. Could someone please confirm that?

Also, is it allowable to apply for this type of extension even though I am married? Or would Immigration try to swing me back to the "Married extension" that I was using prior to turning 50 years old?

:jap:

32 minutes ago, Thai Chi said:

Also, is it allowable to apply for this type of extension even though I am married? Or would Immigration try to swing me back to the "Married extension" that I was using prior to turning 50 years old?

Depends which immigration office you use.

CM would be very difficult, a pal of mine tried it after his wife was permanently institutionalized.

They gave him a right run-around.

Edited by BritManToo

34 minutes ago, Thai Chi said:

I may go down this "extension - Thai child" road next year.

Currently on "Retirement extensions" although married.

I have a Thai child (12 years old)

I have read the Police Order 327_2557 section 2.18 and 2.19.

I am assuming that I would apply using 2.18. Could someone please confirm that?

:jap:

You would apply under clause 2.18. There is little difference between applying for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai or marriage.

The only real difference is that for being the parent of a Thai is no requirement for the 400k baht to be in the bank for 2 months on the date of application. But some offices will insist it has to be in the bank for 2 months.

The extension for being the parent of a Thai is really meant to be for single parents so immigration can refuse to do it if you are married.

You still have to prove your child is living with you by way of photos and etc. At some office it can be more difficult than applying for one based upon marriage. Both have the 30 day under consideration period.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Depends which immigration office you use.

Buriram for me. No dramas with them for anything thus far.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The extension for being the parent of a Thai is really meant to be for single parents so immigration can refuse to do it if you are married.

Food for thought UJ. Thanks.

I have a 90 day report early next month so will have a chat with them then.

It might end up being a moot point if the AUD $ gets out of the doldrums by February next year. 

"Hope for the best - prepare for the worse" ????

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is available to any parent, married or not.

There is nothing written anywhere that says it is for single parents. If you are a parent you qualify. I have had two extensions of stay as a parent, at two different offices, and both times my wife was present. The first was suggested and offered by a senior officer at CW immigration in Bangkok. The second application, as a parent, was processed without question or discussion.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is nothing written anywhere that says it is for single parents. If you are a parent you qualify. I

Perhaps it is not written directly that is for single parents but is clear that is the inten if for that. Also why would they have both options under the same clause of the police order.

You may been able do it but I was just informing him that immigration can deny it.

You were just lucky you were able to do it get a around the money being in the bank for 2 months.

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps it is not written directly that is for single parents but is clear that is the intent of it is for that. Also why would they have both options under the same clause of the police order.

You may of been able do it but I was just informing him that immigration can deny it.

You were just lucky you were able to do it get a around the money being in the bank for 2 months.

Sorry but luck doesn't come in to it. The rules are clear, and confirmed to me by a senior immigration officer. If you are a parent the money does not have to be in the bank for 2 months, married or not.

Whether or not every office plays by the rules is another matter. At the two offices I've used, they do.

There are two clauses because you can be married only, a parent only, or both. If you are both you can apply under either clause!

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Whether or not every office plays by the rules is another matter

And that is what I will hopefully find out early next month.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

here are two clauses because you can be married only, a parent only, or both. If you are both you can apply under either clause!

I will report on my interaction with my Immigration office after my next visit.