British cyclist shot dead by hunter in French Alps

webfact

British cyclist shot dead by hunter in French Alps

LYON, France (Reuters) - A 34-year old British man was shot dead by a hunter while cycling in the French Alps, police said on Sunday.

The victim, a restaurateur living nearby, in the Haute-Savoie region, was killed by one bullet while cycling down a path along woods.

A 22-year old man taking part in a group hunt is believed to have shot the bullet, police said. He was hospitalised in a state of shock.

An investigation for involuntary manslaughter was opened.

(Reporting by Catherine Lagrange; Writing by Ingrid Melander; Editing by Mark Potter)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-15

I'm surprised there's anything left worth hunting in the French Alps, apart from cyclists and hikers that is. Yeah, RIP to the guy, extremely bad luck. What are the chances, like a million to one. Also have some sympathy with the guy who shot the bullet, but then you go there you take the consequences. Once you have, or pick up a gun, you have a weapon of instant destruction in your hands. How you use it is up to you, and how you use it safely is also is also up to you. Personally, I wouldn't use a gun unless I had a clear line of sight of anything that might be hit by it, to do otherwise is just reckless.

I've never understood how a moronic hunter can simply shoot at whatever moves without identifying what he is shooting at.  But it happens too frequently.  My own grandfather was shot through the hand by a moron with a 30-30.  This after surviving WWI.  Nearly killed him via blood loss, but he was one tough old codger.  Healed up and regained the use of his hand over time.  But that's probably why it was instilled in me at a very young age - you do not shoot anything that you have not identified 100%.  Sending a bullet through the brush because you 'think' it's a deer doesn't cut it.  Unfortunate tragedy, but the shooter deserves to be charged with manslaughter.  If you can't hunt safely, don't hunt.

Archived