Retirement Visa Part II

Ubon Joe - Thank you for your advice on changing my visa from Tourist to Retirement Non-O using Form TM86 here locally at the immigration office in Phuket. It worked, I now have the visa which is valid until 15 Dec 2018. Apparently on or before the 15th of Dec, Part II of this process begins. I have a couple of questions:

1) I was handed a copy of Form TM7 Application For Extension Of Temporary Stay In The Kingdom, which I have to submit on the 15th of Dec. The form does not list what other documentation is required at time of submittal. Is this the correct form and do you have a link to the site that delineates the additional documentation required?

2) In my original submittal for change of visa I included an Income Verification Letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok dated 27 Aug 2018. Assuming this information will also be required for the extension, can the same letter be used as an attachment to Form TM7? The logistics and expense of getting a new letter are a bit of a pain! 

3) How long before the visa expires on 15 Dec can I go back and apply for the extension? I want to leave myself enough time to sort out any problems that may arise, or organize my departure if that fails.

4) Is there any issue for leaving the country in my current status? I can file an Application For Re-Entry TM8 and return before 15 Dec?

5) I am told that with the Non-O Visa I am entitled to import certain items tax free. Do you have a link that lists exactly what is allowed? Is there a time limit on how quickly you have to do that once you have your visa? Would like to import a motorbike (1100cc) but it will take some time to make arrangements. 

Thank you for any advice and information you can give me! Will worry about Part III after the 15th of Dec.

Regards,

Rig Pig

1.  TM.7 and 1,900 baht fee.  Normal items are copies of passport data/visas/last entry/departure card and financial proof.  Believe proof of where living also required there.  Best to ask them as requirements do change from time to time.

2.  If you still have the original and less then six months old should be accepted.  Be sure you also have some backup proof of income in case asked (pension papers/deposits/bank accounts or such).

3.  Normally up to 30 days early - some such as Bangkok up to 45 days early.

4.  You can obtain/use a re-entry permit for current permitted to stay.

5.  No free tax ride for retirement.

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Samut Prakan, I was told that I could do it as early as 45 days before but not later than 30 days before.  

You can apply up until the date your current permitted to stay expires.  Can not speak for the person who told you that; but it is not immigration policy.

Lopburi3 - Thanks for your response. Please note:

2) I submitted the "original" with my TM86. Still have copies. Seems a bit over the top to ask for originals again?!?

5) Unfortunate, would like to get my bike over here. Any idea on what they will try to tax me, it's a 1983. Old not worth much anymore!  

13 minutes ago, Rig Pig said:

Lopburi3 - Thanks for your response. Please note:

2) I submitted the "original" with my TM86. Still have copies. Seems a bit over the top to ask for originals again?!?

5) Unfortunate, would like to get my bike over here. Any idea on what they will try to tax me, it's a 1983. Old not worth much anymore!  

You can present a copy of the affidavit and they will take the original from the file for your visa application.

The amount of duties and excise taxes will depend upon the assessed value of it when it is imported. A customs agent should be able to give you estimate.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

1.  TM.7 and 1,900 baht fee.  Normal items are copies of passport data/visas/last entry/departure card and financial proof.  Believe proof of where living also required there.  Best to ask them as requirements do change from time to time.

2.  If you still have the original and less then six months old should be accepted.  Be sure you also have some backup proof of income in case asked (pension papers/deposits/bank accounts or such).

3.  Normally up to 30 days early - some such as Bangkok up to 45 days early.

4.  You can obtain/use a re-entry permit for current permitted to stay.

5.  No free tax ride for retirement.

When I went to Nonthaburi immigration a few months back and changed from marriage to retirement extension of stay, because of the annoying home visits and my wife tired of missing 3 days of work each year, I was required to verify I was still married to her by getting a certified marriage document from the district office showing we were still married that day, despite phone calls by immigration to her work place in which she said we were still married, but she didn't like missing so much work with the marriage extension.  In fact last year she spoke to the woman in charge and told her of the problem and she recommended a retirement extension for me. I was told I would have to do this next year as well.  This is more documentation than I had to provide when we went for marriage extension. They also asked to see my original marriage certificate.  Which was never required when we went for marriage extensions of stay.  Is this typical?  I have to keep proving I am married to have retirement extension?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can present a copy of the affidavit and they will take the original from the file for your visa application.

The amount of duties and excise taxes will depend upon the assessed value of it when it is imported. A customs agent should be able to give you estimate.

When I went to Nonthaburi immigration a few months back and changed from marriage to retirement extension of stay, because of the annoying home visits and my wife tired of missing 3 days of work each year, I was required to verify I was still married to her by getting a certified marriage document from the district office showing we were still married that day, despite phone calls by immigration to her work place in which she said we were still married, but she didn't like missing so much work with the marriage extension.  In fact last year she spoke to the woman in charge and told her of the problem and she recommended a retirement extension for me. I was told I would have to do this next year as well.  This is more documentation than I had to provide when we went for marriage extension. They also asked to see my original marriage certificate.  Which was never required when we went for marriage extensions of stay.  Is this typical?  I have to keep proving I am married to have retirement extension?

Once on retirement extension there should not be any 'wife' requirements unless for proof of residence.  The first time you change from marriage to retirement they often want to speak with wife to make sure she knows what is happening however.  That wife was not with you and did not want to attend I suspect was the reason for other paperwork.  When I change in Bangkok they required wife appear to obtain medical certificate of why she could not for the first year.  Since then never mentioned.

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Once on retirement extension there should not be any 'wife' requirements unless for proof of residence.  The first time you change from marriage to retirement they often want to speak with wife to make sure she knows what is happening however.  That wife was not with you and did not want to attend I suspect was the reason for other paperwork.  When I change in Bangkok they required wife appear to obtain medical certificate of why she could not for the first year.  Since then never mentioned.

I understand, but was told I will have to provide proof of marriage every time I renew.

Edited by ReMarKable
grammar

19 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

I understand, but was told I will have to provide proof of marriage every time I renew.

Do you have to provide any other proof of residence?  Perhaps this is to show where you live?

I have never had any such request from Bangkok Immigration.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

This is strange.  For awhile, we had reports of people getting kicked off marriage an on to retirement when not requested, because the funds were adequate for retirement, and the IOs did not want the extra work of a marriage extension.  People were being advised not to show "too much money" (enough for a retirement-based extension) or this could happen without their permission.

While the "one time" notification of the wife makes sense in this context, I can see no logic in extending this requirement into the future.  Maybe they are simply looking for a way to kick people off of long-running extensions any time the reason for the "original extension" changes - ala "Go out and Start Over."

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Do you have to provide any other proof of residence?  Perhaps this is to show where you live?

I have never had any such request from Bangkok Immigration.

My wife provided a signed TM 30 as well as a copy of her ID and a letter stating I lived with her.

2 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

My wife provided a signed TM 30 as well as a copy of her ID and a letter stating I lived with her.

Believe that specific office is known for a few unusual procedures - but my memory is getting a bit better for 50 years ago than for 5 weeks ago so can not remember exactly what.  Lets just say it would not be normal procedure at most locations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ReMarKable said:

Is this typical?  I have to keep proving I am married to have retirement extension?

I've never had to. 

It was an BKK immigration official that told me to get retirement not marriage. Gave me what I think was a lot of bill about they had had too many marriage visas this month of 'dubious' foreigners and people above were looking at the dept.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I've never had to. 

It was an BKK immigration official that told me to get retirement not marriage. Gave me what I think was a lot of bill about they had had too many marriage visas this month of 'dubious' foreigners and people above were looking at the dept.

I asked the man who was working on my retirement extension if I had to be married to get the retirement extension and he did not answer.

3 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

If you can handle the cost, the Residence Permit is the best answer. No more visas required. You never have to leave the country but if you do you must have a reentry permit.

The OP and others posting in this topic cannot qualify for permanent residency since they are not working here. That is the primary requirement to apply for it.

As much as you might love your motorbike, the amount of hoops and hurdles that you must negotiate and the cost is quite preventitive. You must apply to the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce for an import permit before you start anything. I have a 1989 Ford LTD stretch limousine in Australia and the cost to have it here is just not worth it. With the shipping cost, insurance, import duty it is around 2,000,000baht to drive it off the wharf and that is a vehicle that I only paid $10,000(230,000baht). I have the documentation for what I have paid for the car but it all depends on what value the customs officer places on the vehicle. If you disagree with the customs officer then you bike will never leave the wharf. My car is staying in Australia and I would suggest that you leave your bike in your home country.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bobonzo said:

What documents are required at The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in order to get my Affidavit of Income stamped ? I've done it once but cannot remember what I need.

The verification of the consular officer is only needed at a very office when applying for an extension.

The only thing you need is your passport, a completed application form and the money for the fee. It is done at the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA. Flow chart of the process is here (ignore any mention of translation).

http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/images/Chart EN.png

Application form: Application for legalization.doc

It can also be done by mail. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/72113-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์---Mailing-Service.html 

I went up to the MFA off cie today for the legalization of my affidavit of income.

The 'pre-check' clerk took my application form, affidavit, and copy of the passport visa page. She has a scanner that copied the facing page of my passport as produces a sheet that has the 'new' application with the facing page on the same sheet. She also gives you a number ticket. You fill in the new form and wait for you number to be called. The rest of the day is a lot of waiting.

I did see this announcement board that says there is a legalization office at Klong Toei MRT. If this place does the same service it would better than going all the way to Chang Wantanna.

legal office.jpg