Legal tourists and expats will feel the benefit under "Big Joke" - he's the real deal

webfact

Legal tourists and expats will feel the benefit under "Big Joke" - he's the real deal

1.jpg

Pictures (4) Thai Rath

Thai Rath's crime team published a feature on the appointment of the darling of the media "Big Joke" to the top position at Thai Immigration.

They said that  Big Joke is the real deal and his appointment will mean greater security and better service to the public.

And that includes tourists and expatriates residing in Thailand.

Two weeks ago Maj-Gen Surachate Hakparn replaced Suthipong Wongpin who sidestepped to become the head of the metropolitan police in Bangkok for a year before his retirement. 

2.jpg

Surachate attracted the attention of the top echelons of the Thai government while he was deputy commander of the Thai Tourist Police. 

His "One World One Team" vision emphasized teamwork and cooperation not just within Thailand but internationally, said Thai Rath. 

Many have criticized "Big Joke" for being nothing more than a poster boy and lackey of the elite but the Thai media is saying that this is shallow thinking, notes Thaivisa. 

His supporters point to Surachate's modern methods in crime solving and dedication to stop corruption. 

While it is true that his face and activities appear everywhere there is substance behind the man thanks to a strong team, many of whom have followed him from the TPB. 

He is seen as new style of policeman the like of which Thailand has rarely if ever seen before.

Many illegal foreigners posing as tourists have already been apprehended and shown the door creating fear of further crackdowns. But Surachate is determined to root out illegals and criminals and protect the multi billion dollar tourism industry.

Ultimately bona fide tourists and expats will reap the benefit through greater security and improved service from immigration, said Thai Rath. 

This is in line with PM Prayut Chan-ocha's stated aim: "To strike a balance between the rights of the individual and the security of the state". 

Deputy premier Prawit Wongsuwan has also called for heightened security with an international focus. 

3.jpg

Surachate believes in giving greater satisfaction to foreigners in Thailand as well as committing to coordination within Thai police departments and foreign agencies. 

Thai Rath said that the Maj-Gen's work with the FBI, Interpol and foreign embassies while he was at the tourist police got him noticed. 

Critics say that many of those arrested are relatively small fry and that "No Tip" signage that has gone up at immigration checkpoints in a first overt step to root out endemic corruption is merely paying lip service to the issue. 

4.jpg

But Thai Rath seemed convinced that Big Joke was the real deal and would make a true difference. 

Source: Thai Rath 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-15

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, webfact said:

His supporters point to Surachate's modern methods in crime solving

He certainly didn't/hasn't shown it in his public handling of the KT alleged rape case.

The Thai media is always fawning over someone in the police, just to give the public some sense that there's actually some redeeming value to them, when in fact, that's a pretty big question mark.

BTW, the guy has managed to hold dozens of weekly news conferences announcing raids and arrests on various foreigners and overstayers.  But thus far, he can't seem to manage one public statement clarifying/explaining what if anything Immigration is up to with Embassy income letters?

Why??? No dark skinned people to be shown sitting under arrest? Doesn't make for the desired imagery?

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

His supporters point to Surachate's modern methods in crime solving and dedication to stop corruption.

Which seems to date to involve turning up for press conferences to take the glory for other peoples arrests. 

I personally believe corruption is way too endemic here for him to root out entirely, whether he is the real deal or not. And I am far from convinced that he is.

His handling of the alleged rape on Koh Tao shows all I need to see. Setting out to kill a potential victim's credibility to paint an untrue picture of KT's credibility while pushing for arresting Thais who shared a news story is pretty abhorrent.

He is a lackey of Prawit, says it all really

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

better service to the public.

If only,he would be my hero,if he could improve

the problems with Chiang Mai Immigration Office,

so you don't have to start queing in the middle of

the night,just to get a ticket to do your extension

that day.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Time will tell, though to expect one man to single handedly clean up Thailand is asking a bit much.

I will take him seriously when he starts getting people like the Red Bull "Boss" back to face justice.

That is not his job?He is head of immigration but i get your point.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

His supporters point to Surachate's modern methods in crime solving and dedication to stop corruption.   He is seen as new style of policeman the like of which Thailand has rarely if ever seen before.

Many illegal foreigners posing as tourists have already been apprehended and shown the door creating fear of further crackdowns. But Surachate is determined to root out illegals and criminals and protect the multi billion dollar tourism industry.

Ultimately bona fide tourists and expats will reap the benefit through greater security and improved service from immigration, said Thai Rath. 

Yes, I see benefits of random visa/passport raids on hotels, bars and condos frequented by expats and tourists conducted with absolutely no probable or even reasonable cause.  Who writes this propagandist crap for Thai Rath?

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I will take him seriously when he starts getting people like the Red Bull "Boss" back to face justice.

I don't think that is a task for immigration.

Surachate believes in giving greater satisfaction to foreigners in Thailand as well as committing to coordination within Thai police departments and foreign agencies. 

Thai Rath said that the Maj-Gen's work with the FBI, Interpol and foreign embassies while he was at the tourist police got him noticed. 

He could at least make an effort though. He is apparently well connected with all the agencies that would be involved. And not just this scumbag, but a host of other Hi-so's who seem to be able to leave at will to avoid prison sentences.

Big joke is not the 'real deal' at all. He is a media construct, a PR man, a photo-op man. A man loyal to the junta, reliable and therefore promotable and a good front man for the junta. He has been created by Prawit to help win the elections for Prayut if he ever holds them. 

They said that  Big Joke is the real deal and his appointment will mean greater security and better service to the public.

And that includes tourists and expatriates residing in Thailand.

If he stops the tea-money collections and 90 day reports, I'll put him on my Christmas Card list.  I might even invite him to dinner.

I see... if this news website think so.

I think everybody here has a story or two about his department to tell.

I'm keeping mine for me but a couple of my story just happened in the first 2 weeks of this month...

Many have criticized "Big Joke" for being nothing more than a poster boy and lackey of the elite but the Thai media is saying that this is shallow thinking, notes Thaivisa. 

Wow, has somebody been reading my mind? Nothing is more warming than a tourist cop surrounded troupes carrying HK machine guns.  How could anyone confuse the heavy handed elites with that display of bruit force ?  Like a pizza delivery by 18 wheeled cargo truck.  He's over the top.

55 minutes ago, z42 said:

His handling of the alleged rape on Koh Tao shows all I need to see. Setting out to kill a potential victim's credibility to paint an untrue picture of KT's credibility while pushing for arresting Thais who shared a news story is pretty abhorrent.

He is a lackey of Prawit, says it all really

no, he has a brain, he knew the british  girl was lying through her teeth, that is why he confronted her.

i will still not believe immigration officers will be kept on short leash

12 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

He could at least make an effort though. He is apparently well connected with all the agencies that would be involved. And not just this scumbag, but a host of other Hi-so's who seem to be able to leave at will to avoid prison sentences.

You should mark him for the work he is doing now, not for the work you want him to do.

But what are or would bf the benefits for tourists or expats?

someone over staying their visa did not and does not affect either tourist or expat.

someone “cheating” to stay in Thailand again does not affect tourist or expat .

so what benefits ?

I'll start believing he's the real deal if he eliminates some of the gross inefficiencies and waste in Thai Immigration, such as:

1/ Eliminate 90 day reports for anyone who is resident in Thailand for more than two years.

2/ Only require TM30's for when someone enters the country, if they are aforesaid long term residents.

3/ Have a clear definition of responsibility for the TM30

4/ Eliminate bank statements for the seasoning period. Why isn't a bank letter good enough? The bank books tell the story.

5/ Enable online reporting for retirement extensions. The technology is there.

6/ Enable friend or relation reporting for those who are physically incapacitated, subject to provision of a medical certificate.

Yeah, and pigs will grow wings.

Let's just wait and see what all these raids and razzias will ultimately mean for the, for example, pensionado's.

On average they bring 50,000 baht a month into the country.

Better as a short time tourist, I guess.

Don't underestimate the negative imago brought on by the constant hunt on illegals, don't forget that also those who are legally here feel the pressure of the raids.

And that imago goes back to the home country.

I sincerely hope Thailand will understand the fickle Chinese tourism and the rather standfast expats, and tourism, from the west.

He's a Thai internet super star.the best qualification for rising through the ranks.he wants to watch what he's doing as he's stepping on too many of his fellow mens toes and taking away a monopoly of corruption in immigratio that has supported there families for generations.i say be very careful because big joke can turn into a big flop.

Archived