Do Thais know about the blind spot?

Nayet

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah they know, that's exactly where they choose to sit in the outside lane when you are minding your own business in the correct left lane !!! ...GGRRRRRRR

They then sit there, and you cant move out, so they run you up the back of the next slower vehicle in front of you ! no anticipation and definitely no thought or awareness of other road users.(rant over ????)

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Oh yeah they know, that's exactly where they choose to sit in the outside lane when you are minding your own business in the correct left lane !!! ...GGRRRRRRR

They then sit there, and you cant move out, so they run you up the back of the next slower vehicle in front of you ! no anticipation and definitely no thought or awareness of other road users.(rant over ????)

This is my #1 pet hate and I'm sure is responsible for half the accidents.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Teach...Driving school...How long have you been here...?  ????

Well they do have driving schools, but I don't know if they get much business.

Either way, it's an issue worth spreading awareness of. Maybe I'll give it a try ????

1 minute ago, Nayet said:

Either way, it's an issue worth spreading awareness of. Maybe I'll give it a try ????

When you go a driving test centre and see what those seated listen too then to me it is clear nobody is taught anything...????

1 hour ago, Nayet said:

1 hour ago, transam said:

When you go a driving test centre and see what those seated listen too then to me it is clear nobody is taught anything...????

Slightly negative TA :smile:

They are generally taught how to pass the test - which has got very little to do with actually driving from A-B apart from parking at the end of it :cheesy:

I read an article many years ago by an American guy that had lived in Phuket for a very long time, in that he said that although they are all Thai and live in Thailand, they exist in Thai World and Thai World only extends maybe 6" from their person, anyone or thing outside of that 6" doesn't exist and just isn't there, kind of explains a lot of the ignorant things they do, not only driving. ????

Often, my Thai passengers ask me why I keep looking over my shoulder when driving, why you do not use the rear view mirrors?????

I once got a poster with all the traffic signs on it, asked some of my Thai work colleagues about the most basic once, like no parking and no stopping signs, no entry, sharp curve, they didn't have a clue, not one single person had a clue.

17 hours ago, Nayet said:

I have never seen a Thai driver check the blind spot before changing lanes

If you know how to adjust your mirrors and use them there is no "blind spot" if you have a blind spot then you need to learn how to arrange your mirrors and use them

As it seems that the link is not allowed here is the main point

Here’s the acid test: if you look in either wing mirror and you can see the side of your car, the wing mirrors are adjusted too close. You don’t need to see the side of your car to drive forwards – it’s not as if you can crash into the side of your own car.

I've said this before after quoting an article, and I'll say it again. When 1/3 of Thais believe there is nothing they can do to prevent an accident while driving because it's fate or karma, what do you expect other than carnage on the roads?

17 hours ago, transam said:

Driving in Thailand, esp. Bangkok, has a golden rule. I take care of what's in front and slightly to the sides, not more than 90 degrees. The car behind does the same. No accidents, except if you look back and miss the front car stopping suddenly. Of course, with side view mirrors these days, there's no skill at all.

6 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I've said this before after quoting an article, and I'll say it again. When 1/3 of Thais believe there is nothing they can do to prevent an accident while driving because it's fate or karma, what do you expect other than carnage on the roads?

So 2/3 know what they're doing, right?

6 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

So 2/3 know what they're doing, right?

No, don't know how you could extrapolate that from my statement. Included within that 2/3 would be all of the other assorted terrible drivers one expects to see everyday.

18 hours ago, transam said:

There are definitely some driving schools.  However, when I see a lot of cars travelling along with the brake light flickering, no doubt because the driver obviously has his/her left foot resting on the brake pedal, I have to wonder who taught the instructors.

Blind spot, you've got to be joking. Most use the basket on the motorcycle to put the helmet, and when it's on their head the strap isn't tightened, just hangs there. And 99% believe seat belts are dangerous. I usually drive my car between 40-50 in the slow lane as they scream by me usually going over 80, cutting others off, most never using turn signals. Get use to it, this is normal for Thailand.

I've went to driving school to get a Thai driving license. Followed the lesson and at least in our school it was taught in the 3-hour video. But I don't know if people remember afterwards.

Archived