Do Thais know about the blind spot?

Nayet

Well since 95% of all Thai drivers have never had any driver training whatsoever it is not very likely they are aware there is anything like a blind spot. This is mostly evidenced by how they drift across lines in the road without looking in their mirror first.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Nayet said:

After 6 years in Bangkok, I have never seen a Thai driver check the blind spot before changing lanes or turning. Is it not something they teach in driving school here?

Don't you know anything? Thais are born as perfect beings, they are experts at everything without the need to be taught.....

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

I've said this before after quoting an article, and I'll say it again. When 1/3 of Thais believe there is nothing they can do to prevent an accident while driving because it's fate or karma, what do you expect other than carnage on the roads?

carnage/cull

same same, but different.

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

After 6 years in Bangkok, I have never seen a Thai driver check the blind spot before changing lanes or turning. Is it not something they teach in driving school here?

you cant teach stupid ! 

I beg to differ. T I T

We simply should not drive in a Thai's blind spot, since they don't know about the existing of the blind spot. That said, they also don't know about the existing of mirrors in a car!!! Well, ok, they might know about the cosmetic mirror in the sun visor 555 :cheesy:

3 hours ago, amse said:

Blind spot, you've got to be joking. Most use the basket on the motorcycle to put the helmet, and when it's on their head the strap isn't tightened, just hangs there. And 99% believe seat belts are dangerous. I usually drive my car between 40-50 in the slow lane as they scream by me usually going over 80, cutting others off, most never using turn signals. Get use to it, this is normal for Thailand.

"And 99% believe seat belts are dangerous." Seat belts have cost the lives of drivers over the years in the UK. I personally know one chap who would have died when he was involved in an accident had he been wearing his seat belt. Being tossed out the front seat in a crash saved his life.

There was also the case of a police woman who was wearing a seat belt when her car plunged of the pier into the water, and the seat belt stopped her from getting out.

3 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Well since 95% of all Thai drivers have never had any driver training whatsoever it is not very likely they are aware there is anything like a blind spot. This is mostly evidenced by how they drift across lines in the road without looking in their mirror first.

No, that's because they are drunk

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you know how to adjust your mirrors and use them there is no "blind spot" if you have a blind spot then you need to learn how to arrange your mirrors and use them

As it seems that the link is not allowed here is the main point

Exactly, it seems many posters here can bitch about Thai very well, but have no clue themselves how to adjust their mirrors.

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you know how to adjust your mirrors and use them there is no "blind spot" if you have a blind spot then you need to learn how to arrange your mirrors and use them

As it seems that the link is not allowed here is the main point

I wasn't aware, but I'm pretty sure it depends on the size and shape of your mirrors.

Either way I doubt most are adjusted that precisely, in Thailand or elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Nayet said:

I wasn't aware, but I'm pretty sure it depends on the size and shape of your mirrors.

Either way I doubt most are adjusted that precisely, in Thailand or elsewhere.

I have yet to drive a car where it was not possible to adjust the mirrors correctly, and at one time I changed my vehicle every year (no wasn't rich, they would pass the MOT the first year but not the second so got scrapped) almost always got a different make and model each time.

The Thai's don't know about blind spots because they're only looking ahead and not in their mirrors........there's no blind spots in front of you! A couple of my Thai friends always ask me why I look in the back over my shoulder when changing lanes, their question is "Why you look backwards(?), the car the car is moving forward not backwards." 

I rammed a pickup truck broadside on my motorcycle at 50 Kph.  The driver made a quick left turn in front of me without checking his blind spot or using the directional.  I was unconscious until the ambulance arrived, awaking in the ditch with the driver and passengers handing me my broken watch and sun glasses, but at least they looked remorseful.

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Thai translation - Maybe signal, Manoeuvre, oh, maybe check my mirror now!

My wife learned how to drive at a Thai driving school. Only problems, all in an automatic and 95% done on private training ground. Also they GUARANTEED a licence at the end of the course. My wife cannot drive in traffic - any traffic - as she never got used to it and is afraid of all other drivers (with some justification....) and cannot cope with manual gears. Now only ever moves the car at home, like when she wants to wash it, or rarely  drives to the farm (200 metres away!). But she is happy to ride on her scooter? ????

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Thai translation - Maybe signal, Manoeuvre, oh, maybe check my mirror now!

My wife learned how to drive at a Thai driving school. Only problems, all in an automatic and 95% done on private training ground. Also they GUARANTEED a licence at the end of the course. My wife cannot drive in traffic - any traffic - as she never got used to it and is afraid of all other drivers (with some justification....) and cannot cope with manual gears. Now only ever moves the car at home, like when she wants to wash it, or rarely  drives to the farm (200 metres away!). But she is happy to ride on her scooter? ????

I tried teaching Mrs.Trans but gave up as it was a horrifying experience, so paid a Thai friend to do the job..

When he had finished he said she was OK now...

First time out with her new knowledge she went round a bend on the wrong side of the road, l shouted get over our side of the road, she said her teacher told me it was OK.....????

Thankfully she now understands the pitfalls of being on the wrong side of the road...

My wife went upcountry to get her license, took her written test, didn't pass, paid another 200 baht and got a test given to her with the answers, then a half hour later had a license. I asked her about the actual driving test and was met with a shoulder shrug and a "mai roo".

Annnnnd, its a "good for life" license, never expires! I don't think they do these anymore.....and for good reason. She was taught at a driving school but they never had any class on the laws/rules of the road, only practical driving. It's no wonder Thailand is # 1 in road fatalities!

On 10/17/2018 at 3:59 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I have yet to drive a car where it was not possible to adjust the mirrors correctly, and at one time I changed my vehicle every year (no wasn't rich, they would pass the MOT the first year but not the second so got scrapped) almost always got a different make and model each time.

And you actually confirmed each time that the blind spot was completely eliminated? How did you do it?

1 hour ago, Nayet said:

And you actually confirmed each time that the blind spot was completely eliminated? How did you do it?

Looked in the mirrors, how would you do it?

The adjustment is so that there is only a very slight overlap of the center mirror and the side mirrors, certainly no view of the side of the car while in normal driving position. I have to move to see the sides when backing up but as that's always slow there's no problem.

Here's a good article https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

An other ,"Ha Ha Ha, Thai people stupid , we very smart fellas " thread. 

IMO not very smart (funny thing for people claiming to be so smart) for guest to insult their host at every opportunity. , at some point the host might get angry, or an enterprising politician use it as a wedge issue to gain power.

It's not the first time it has happen. They might even try to force embassies not to issue income  letters they cant verify.

It could happen

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Looked in the mirrors, how would you do it?

The adjustment is so that there is only a very slight overlap of the center mirror and the side mirrors, certainly no view of the side of the car while in normal driving position. I have to move to see the sides when backing up but as that's always slow there's no problem.

Here's a good article https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

So you verify there's no blind spot by looking for it in the mirrors?

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

An other ,"Ha Ha Ha, Thai people stupid , we very smart fellas " thread. 

IMO not very smart (funny thing for people claiming to be so smart) for guest to insult their host at every opportunity. , at some point the host might get angry, or an enterprising politician use it as a wedge issue to gain power.

It's not the first time it has happen. They might even try to force embassies not to issue income  letters they cant verify.

It could happen

Granted, there may be more constructive ways of spreading knowledge.

Archived