Lucky escape as truck wheel crashes into 7-Eleven in Chon Buri

snoop1130

By The Nation

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUwOC83NTQzNjQ2LzEwLmpwZw==.jpg

Staff and shoppers inside a 7-Eleven store in Chon Buri’s Mueang district were shocked when a large wheel crashed through a window out of nowhere Tuesday afternoon.

The wheel also hit three motorcycles and a pickup, causing slight damage before it stopped inside the shop.

Fortunately, no one inside or outside the store was hit in the incident.

Police found that the wheel had come loose on an 18-wheel trailer-truck driven by Thanakorn Pongphan, 43.

The driver stood stock still and said nothing as police took him to Mueang Chon Buri police station to face a charge of failing to check a vehicle before use, causing damage to others’ assets.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356535

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-16

Not only are the wheels gorn but the brake drum , shoes and backplate have gorn ( yellow ) with it suggesting possibly that the hub nut which retain the wheel bearings on which everything rotates has come adrift allowing the whole rotating mass of wheels and brake drum to come away from the axle  .. And the road spring ( red ) has completely detached from the rear anchor bracket .. Unbelievable .. 

IMG_20181016_114557.jpg

again we see the total lack of any type of maintenance, these idiot truck drivers get in the trucks without checking anything on the truck, wheel nuts,  making sure all the lights work and are clean so people can see them, general mechanical work  etc, they are simply too lazy to do any extra work

Not only are the barriers preventing poor drivers from accidentally ramming the shop frontage not enough, we now need protection from projectile falling off vehicles in Thailand. 

OK, a uncommon event, but not a so uncommon not to have seen a few more similar event the Thai news this year.... This highlights the level of neglect and lack of maintenance of many vehicles on Thailands roads. 

I'd like to point out that its lucky there are not more incidents, but the RTA stats suggest otherwise. 

17 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Not only are the wheels gorn but the brake drum , shoes and backplate have gorn ( yellow ) with it suggesting possibly that the hub nut which retain the wheel bearings on which everything rotates has come adrift allowing the whole rotating mass of wheels and brake drum to come away from the axle  .. And the road spring ( red ) has completely detached from the rear anchor bracket .. Unbelievable .. 

IMG_20181016_114557.jpg

And a double wheel, could have easily killed a few people.

Truck owner turns up with his mechanic, a few wai's, can we have our wheel back, a big plank of wood and a few bricks to jack the lorry up, wheel on, walk back to find the missing nut, and they are off... 

32 minutes ago, seajae said:

again we see the total lack of any type of maintenance, these idiot truck drivers get in the trucks without checking anything on the truck, wheel nuts,  making sure all the lights work and are clean so people can see them, general mechanical work  etc, they are simply too lazy to do any extra work

Yes but checking is too serious...

Same with the outer members of my Thai family and even one step further, 'checking things just brings on bad luck'...

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Yes but checking is too serious...

Same with the outer members of my Thai family and even one step further, 'checking things just brings on bad luck'...

I know what he means, he may find something broken and it will cost him dearly to fix it...

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Nowhere is safe in Thailand. Particularly if you are on a road or in a boat or bus or on a footpath or even a 7-Eleven store. It's only a matter of time and the Grim Reaper will get you.

36 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Nowhere is safe in Thailand. Particularly if you are on a road or in a boat or bus or on a footpath or even a 7-Eleven store. It's only a matter of time and the Grim Reaper will get you.

The grim reaper. That's a good name for these damn trailer trucks. There must be a million of them on the roads in Thailand, they are being driven 24/7 so it seems, all going somewhere with a hundred tons of sand, gravel or rock, then coming back with a similar load.  What the hell are they all doing? What is the purpose of this movement of millions of tons of dirt around the place? When will it all end?

11 hours ago, Basil B said:

And a double wheel, could have easily killed a few people.

Truck owner turns up with his mechanic, a few wai's, can we have our wheel back, a big plank of wood and a few bricks to jack the lorry up, wheel on, walk back to find the missing nut, and they are off... 

The missing nut is the owner, such in competence by owner and mechanic and their going to charge the driver, he is a driver not a mechanic, how could he have possible known the locking nut was loose you cannot see it

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not only are the barriers preventing poor drivers from accidentally ramming the shop frontage not enough, we now need protection from projectile falling off vehicles in Thailand. 

Kinda reminiscent of the movie Donnie Darko. As in that movie just waiting to see a jet engine fall out of the sky from nowhere.

11 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Coming to a 7/11 near you a version of Barnes Wallace bouncing bomb delivered by a skanky old falling apart truck .. 

IMG_20181016_140614_20181016141842271.jpg

And what else can you see ?  yes that's correct some tread on the tyres - very un-Thai truck like

There's no maintenance schedules here. They do repairs when something fails, or near failure (if the symptoms annoy them enough). Probable after a recent repair on this rig there was a pile of nut & bolts left over.

ie; After new tires installation on my truck they stripped a wheel stud. They argued emphatically the stud was not necessary, I had to many. No doubt these pea brain hillbillies are smarter than auto industry engineers.

Can't stand having them work on our vehicles, or our house for that matter. Always an issue. Even driving here has become a teeth grinding affair.

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

When the Thai reaper goes shopping:

reaper-i-take-it-final-475_zps3cn0rbrp.p

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK, a uncommon event, but not a so uncommon not to have seen a few more similar event the Thai news this year.... This highlights the level of neglect and lack of maintenance of many vehicles on Thailands roads. 

I'd like to point out that its lucky there are not more incidents, but the RTA stats suggest otherwise. 

Of course this only happens in Thailand?

Don't think so.

19 hours ago, seajae said:

Maintenance Personal that installed that Wheel Group are to Blame, Appears that Truck had some work done to it & whoever installed the Wheel Hub did not install the Axle nut tab & it came off, 

The driver I guess should have noticed the wheel wobbling as the front-rear axle, 

23 hours ago, ravip said:

After reading the above post and the comments...

Was wondering if the "The truck's owner could have said it was an "unfortunate accident" and he was glad that non was seriously hurt." >>> 

Jus' a thinking...

If it was not in Thailand probably the same excuse as the pope recently mentioned about abuse of children by priests: It was the devil

1 hour ago, hhinhh said:

If it was not in Thailand probably the same excuse as the pope recently mentioned about abuse of children by priests: It was the devil

For a moment I thought my post was in 'invisible' mode... it happens!

Watched a large pickup truck wheel bouncing towards me at a high rate of speed in Beverly Hills, CA years ago. Had plenty of time to move as heard the screech of the axle on the road. Luckily it was a lazy Sunday afternoon and shops mostly closed. Continued my stroll after it smashed thru a large plate glass storefront with the driver in hot panicked pursuit! :laugh:

Archived