Two million stray cats and dogs by 2027 if no action taken to register and sterilise, forum told

snoop1130

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

On my morning bicycle ride I encountered a pack of dogs blocking the small road near a temple all looking ( hungrily) in my direction ! It was easy enough to go another route and avoid them.
This happened several days in a row until one day as I approached the temple a guy on a mc passed me with a plastic bucket ( 18 ltrs?) full of rice , he then proceeded to feed the dogs.
I now go on my bike ride 30 minutes later and pass the 20 or so pack all laid out sleeping emoji99.png.

The guy obviously thinks he is doing a great job, a good deed indeed !!
But does he know the danger he is creating ?, of course not, it would take a local kid to be mauled ( like the unfortunate 4 year old, god forbid) before he realises his error.

Gonna need some alarming advertising on TV to make the population aware of their wrong doings.

Maybe Big Joke make this his next campaign ??

feeding rice to dogs makes them sick and diseased.. 

house owner here mixed cooking leftovers with rice for her pit bull forever.. that dog is about 5 years old but looks 12.. blood problems, renal problems and full of diseases and now that the dog is sick practically 24/7, the vet bills are sometimes 5000 baht per month. so she decided to "start" to give it proper food, went for Royal Canin which is a horrible choice (not grain free, trash ingredients) and now after hearing her complain for the 100th time, I tell her she should buy proper food which is cheaper than RC

she did.. but then when I walk down I see a bowl with 50/50 trash and good food.

can't get them to understand

I'm very surprised this came out so close to the "election". That does not allow find raising.  

But maybe the majority of Thai secretly confess this stray dog and cat issue is out if hand?   Maybe pet fanatics are just a vocal minority?   There are sure many examples of them on TV.    

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

At a guess it's not so much 'not entered their little grey cells', but the Buddhist 'not killing' influence probably comes into it.

I can see there would be a public outcry over it - not that I'm defending it.

It doesn't stop that fat-slob Italian-Thai boss from shooting a black panther for fun, of course.

Maybe some enterprising local could organize hunting trip to control the numbers of these wild animals (soi dogs).

Insist on using bows & arrows to give the dogs a chance? 

Probably best to leave the feral cats though or the country would soon become overrun with (4-legged) rats.

It's not a big deal to tackle this problem. 

Send out thousands of dog hunters. Give them 50 Baht for every non registered dog without a tag. And you will see how beautiful and relaxing Thailand could be .

I would be the first to pay for the first 50 !!!!

6 hours ago, monspencer said:

Very well said sir. Get rid of them all from roaming the streets and defacating everywhere. Hardly, unfortunately, likely to happen as TiT.

I went for a ride to the 711 at 3 am this morning (in Pattaya). I was amazed that on many streets where there were packs of soi dogs, there were none. I know where they are as I have to be wary of some that chase. Someone has cleaned up the soi dogs in the area where I live. On my street, not a single soi dog could be found. I did a wider search and was astounded at how few there were. I did see this a couple of years ago after Songkran, but they soon repopulated. Did someone do the rounds and poison them? I don't know.

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Unfortunately it may take a real sustained epidemic of rabies to cause action to take place. Or, a bus load of Chinese all foaming at the mouth from an encounter. 

That is an awful statement, but probably true. 

I remember when I went to the vet to get my cat a rabies vaccination. The guy said to me that he estimated probably only 10% of domestic animals were actually vaccinated. 

He also cautioned against using the domestically produced vaccine, since it really didn’t protect against rabies that effectively.

So if only 10% of actual pets are vaccinated, the entire feral population unvaccinated, it’s a disaster waiting to happen

37 minutes ago, usacb500biker said:

Reward!!!!!     Village  Kids Reward 20B for every Dog or Cat You catch and turn In........ Thai Goverment notice, I read it somewhere..........

i've been saying this forever.

someone brings in dogs, registers with ID - gets paid.

charge owners small fee (say 200 baht to reclaim) and FORCE registration of claimed dogs (maybe record their Thai owner ID, a picture of them and their dog on computer and give them a small engraved metal tag to be worn on collar)

if dog not claimed within say 14 days, get rid of them.

and penalize owner if dog caught more than once

if they did this, the problem would disappear very quickly but there would be public outrage.

Everyone assumes the dogs cannot be touched because of Buddhism....but I wonder if the real reason relates to a very esteemed persons (sadly no longer with us) love of dogs? 

From my side I think it is the latter...or at least it plays a strong influence.

4 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Everyone assumes the dogs cannot be touched because of Buddhism....but I wonder if the real reason relates to a very esteemed persons (sadly no longer with us) love of dogs? 

From my side I think it is the latter...or at least it plays a strong influence.

That's a very good point, it never occurred to me before.

What a stupid idea to register dogs and cats , especially how you want register all the stray dogs and cats. Sure they have an id for them and the animals can present this id while getting into a control of whom???

Best you have to get rid of all the stray dogs and cats first and that means you have to kill them all!

Otherwise there is NO way to get less stray dogs and cats and yes there must be a registration of the dogs and cats owned by someone and these animals have to undergo sterilisation!!!!!!!!!!!!! And these animals also need an ID!

Now you only can have breeds that are controled! Ups again by whom??

So at the moment this idea is just like hot air blown out because not done in a proper way as most of Thais ideas from government or ministries!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Stray dogs and cats must be registered and sterilised, otherwise their population will reach 2 million in 10 years, the Livestock Development Department has warned.

We all know that they are Dreamers, sterilised and registered dogs does Nothing for the Soi dogs problem  Okay register the dogs that are Owned Legally by the people  and the cats. Employ a few Dog catchers and if a dog or cat that is picked up and not registered (Tattoo in ear)  Exterminate All

So the population of strays are extending and the first idea is to sterilize the domestic pets, not the strays???

well thought you, well thought ???? ???? 

Make the registration free and exterminate the ones without "chip" and registration papers.....

Maybe create a special RTP section with road blocks to check them dog papers..

Thai are crazy.   My GF doesn't want me to hunt deer ( I use archery for the sport),. I eat what I harvest.  But she wanted me to kill a harmless snake I caught the other day.   And she has no problem eating dozens of mud snails, shrimp, or fish or chicken or pork.  

I waited a few days until our sub zero mornings left and found a burrow to release my snake into.  I out a pipe in to ensure it's deep and he can get out in 6 months after hibernation.   I hope she has eggs and sticks around.   

make it illegal to feed stray cats and dogs  and let people pay  a hefty fine, who think they are above law.

and catch every dog in the street without a supervising human being.

This is what is done in civilised countries

"According to the Information Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases at Chulalongkorn University, 40 per cent of stray dogs also carry the rabies virus. "

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Feral, stray cats are vermin.  They are destructing to the native wildlife and kill million of birds, reptiles and small mammals each year.

They don't need feeding. They can catch all the small animals they need to survive.  The reason they are in such a state is overpopulation of them and diseases spreading between them (because they are all living too close to each other as people feed them and this keep them in the same area).  

I understand what you’re saying and you’re right.

Just my heart sometimes takes over from my head.

This is an intractable problem until Thai’s themselves change their mindset able what a ‘pet’ actually is.

Then next step is establishing proper animal control departments, and with the current level of feral animals a huge euthanasia program, to get some control of the problem.

Will any of it happen? I’ll have long since turned to dust before anything meaningful changes

Basil B, Thaiand is a Buddhist Third World country and they will micro chip

us tourists before they spend a single baht doing that to these animals that do

not contribute money to the economy. Thainess is not just about attitude toward

us Tourists, don't you know.

Geezer

Archived