Two million stray cats and dogs by 2027 if no action taken to register and sterilise, forum told

snoop1130

11 hours ago, tropo said:

A wide-scale culling is what is required, by responsible city councils that value human safety. Starting in the tourist hotspots would be a good idea. After the culling, they need to have animal catching patrols on the streets every day of the year to keep it under control.

Very well said sir. Get rid of them all from roaming the streets and defacating everywhere. Hardly, unfortunately, likely to happen as TiT.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure I saw government figures last year saying there were about 4 million stray dogs? that would be a more likely figure. Nothing will be done that has any real affect, and if you have been here a while you will know why. Even Egypt can get it together to start culling these pests but all Thailand will do is talk. It's not about the future it's now, the situation is way out of control already. Interesting wiiki saying the estimate is 8.5 MILLION and says registering has been tried before and that feeding them is actually illegal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_dogs_in_Thailand

It is estimated that there are about 8.5 million dogs in Thailand, of which about 730,000 are abandoned by their owners.[2] Bangkok alone is estimated to have over 300,000 street dogs.[3] Few have been vaccinated against canine diseases.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

People online have been discussing the costly registration fees.

450 Baht!  They probably spend that amount on bottles of Leo every night!

Fourteen years in Thailand, and I've been bitten 3 times by these mangy mutts.  I've lost count of the number of times I've been chased down the road on my motorcycle.  When driving the car I have to drive round some of them because they just don't move.  In my village, I'm the only person who takes my dogs for a walk and picks-up the shit.  Most other dog owners leave their dogs on the sois 24/7.  They piss and shit everywhere, and cause havoc when they roam down the sois where the dogs are behind gates, causing the gated dogs to bark.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The number of stray cats and dogs was estimated at 820,000 last year

That's an average of 1.6 dogs per square km.  Considering that there are at least 100 stray dogs within a 5 minute walk from my house, I'd say that whoever came up with 820,000 must be on Yaba.

There is 5houses on my street and 53dogs! Nothing gets rid of them so i now fire off warning shots in my property and sooner or later there will be a pile of soi dogs stinking up my property.

Thais arent civilized and educated enough to understand enviormental impacts, health and such...

It is good that the Thai authorities are recognising there is a serious social problem here. The problem stems from Thai society.  But using the slang or childish word "poo" instead of "excrement" is really not a polite thing to do in Thailand.  So many Thai women are called "Phu" and fried rice is often eaten with it. 

A far better move would be to make it illegal to feed a dog you don’t own, or a law that says ‘if you feed it you own it”. 

Also, it’s a waste of effort sterilising male dogs. Only bitches have pups, and even if you sterilise 99% of males, the bitches will still get pregnant.

Pet ID cards will only be bought by farangs and better off Thais. The Great Unwashed, and the police, will just ignore this like they ignore every other law. Oh and another thing......I just know that obtaining one of these cards will involve two hours at some airless government office and endless copies of your passport, house registration, insurance, innoculation certs and everything else, and then when you leave the office there’ll be a pack of feral curs living in the car park.

I read some time back that the dog catchers are not allowed to capture any dog with a collar..
People near my place have put collars on stray dogs and come round on motorcycles with large bags of food for these 'pets'.
Dog collars should have a house and phone number on them or be considered strays....there are now large packs of these dogs within 2 kilometers of my home.It is unsafe to walk out now....3 years ago there were no strays..

On my morning bicycle ride I encountered a pack of dogs blocking the small road near a temple all looking ( hungrily) in my direction ! It was easy enough to go another route and avoid them.
This happened several days in a row until one day as I approached the temple a guy on a mc passed me with a plastic bucket ( 18 ltrs?) full of rice , he then proceeded to feed the dogs.
I now go on my bike ride 30 minutes later and pass the 20 or so pack all laid out sleeping [emoji99].

The guy obviously thinks he is doing a great job, a good deed indeed !!
But does he know the danger he is creating ?, of course not, it would take a local kid to be mauled ( like the unfortunate 4 year old, god forbid) before he realises his error.

Gonna need some alarming advertising on TV to make the population aware of their wrong doings.

Maybe Big Joke make this his next campaign ??

11 hours ago, baansgr said:

Just around the corner from me I counted 27 dogs, this pack was only about 5 less than a year ago but there are 2 or 3 people that go feed them everyday hence why such a large number now. A good start would be to educate these idiots that think they are doing good by feeding them.

feeding them is not the problem. You lack a heart

1 minute ago, davidst01 said:

feeding them is not the problem. You lack a heart

Of course its the problem.  Feed them and more come, more reproduce, more puppies survive into adulthood and then breed, their population increases and they become a problem.  Same reasoning why people are told not to feed the pigeons.

It is kinder to fix this problem, sterilise the dogs, get them off the streets and prevent people dumping their unwanted pets..... that would be better for your heart.

Sorry, if you can not see feeding them is a problem you might have a heart, but you lack a brain.

Feeding strays is a dilemma, at least for me

I'm a cat guy, and as much as my frontal lobes were telling me, feeding strays' is a baaaad idea, I couldn't help myself because felt so sorry for a lot of these poor creatures.

Our cat was spayed, vaccinated and had tick/flea medication every month, but the strays were in such sorry state, it was heartbreaking

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Feeding strays is a dilemma, at least for me

I'm a cat guy, and as much as my frontal lobes were telling me, feeding strays' is a baaaad idea, I couldn't help myself because felt so sorry for a lot of these poor creatures.

Our cat was spayed, vaccinated and had tick/flea medication every month, but the strays were in such sorry state, it was heartbreaking

Feral, stray cats are vermin.  They are destructing to the native wildlife and kill million of birds, reptiles and small mammals each year.

They don't need feeding. They can catch all the small animals they need to survive.  The reason they are in such a state is overpopulation of them and diseases spreading between them (because they are all living too close to each other as people feed them and this keep them in the same area).  

Dr Andreas Moser, the biologist producer of nature movie programmes of the Swiss TV SFDRS made a programme on stray dogs and rabies among canines in 1997 already, some 20+ years ago.

His in-depth research with the Henri Dunant institute (headed at that time by Prof. Dr. Wilde, a Canadian canine rabies expert) resulted in the fairly accurate figures of 28 million stray canine of which possibly 10 million were rabies infected. In cooperation with the Thai Ministry of Public Health the suggestion was offered to vaccinate canine by feeding them vaccination. Latter was done in Switzerland by feeding wild animals (in National Parks that is) with chicken heads which contained the vaccine. Highly successful at that time - in Switzerland. This movie can still be purchased from the Swiss TV media bank. 

Here either someone got the figures completely wrong - OR - the Ministry of Public Health did something about it.

Looking down my Soi though I would assume having various packs of stray dogs hauling, fighting and mauling each and every night. Garbage cans are locked in steel-rod cages and nobody - at night - dares to use a motorbike in our Soi. I - for one - sleep well as no thief would stand any chance of a break-in. 

The government could just box up the dogs, and send them to Sakhon Nakhon. I remember back during the floods of 2011, people were trucking them into Sakhon Nakhon to offset food shortages. Of course, the "good" Thais were outraged by this. Perhaps many of them recognized a former pet in the newsreel showing the truck loaded with pooches bound for the East-Northeast. 

I agree that dogs are much more problematic than cats. Think how many rats and mice Thailand would have if not for the hungry stray cats. Some of the rats I've seen are darn near as big as the undernourished growth-stunted stray cats. I say feed the cats, euthanize the dogs. And yes, I have no heart when it comes to animals trying to bite me when I walk down the street.

Feral, stray cats are vermin.  They are destructing to the native wildlife and kill million of birds, reptiles and small mammals each year.

They don't need feeding. They can catch all the small animals they need to survive.  The reason they are in such a state is overpopulation of them and diseases spreading between them (because they are all living too close to each other as people feed them and this keep them in the same area).  

We have a small cat that has adopted us ( okay I admit to feeding it ) and my gf decided to give it a bath ! against my advice !! Which she realised was good advice as the cat sunk his teeth into her finger !!

What surprised me was that the vaccine seems much more aggressive for cats than dogs, the nurses confirmed this.

So, after one jab in each arm, one in the backside and two into the bitten finger !! ( first round, more to follow) she now feels bitter towards kitty ([emoji23]) and shoos it out of the garden at every opportunity .

17 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

the suggestion was offered to vaccinate canine by feeding them vaccination. Latter was done in Switzerland by feeding wild animals (in National Parks that is) with chicken heads which contained the vaccine. Highly successful at that time - in Switzerland. 

Could never work in Thailand,

The Thai's won't go feeding,  soi dogs the best bit of the chicken. :giggle:

6 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:
29 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

the suggestion was offered to vaccinate canine by feeding them vaccination. Latter was done in Switzerland by feeding wild animals (in National Parks that is) with chicken heads which contained the vaccine. Highly successful at that time - in Switzerland. 

Could never work in Thailand,

The Thai's won't go feeding,  soi dogs the best bit of the chicken. :giggle:

Perhaps if it was sterilising by feeding them chicken, that would explain why the Thai population is in decline.

So the prospect of a CULL of stray dogs has never even entered their little grey cells. 

I am all for registering the damn dogs and cats, BUT if they do nothing about those that are running wild it is all a complete waste of time. About time Thais got their collective heads out of their <deleted> and did something about all these stray and often wild animals . 

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hard to tell stray dogs from 'pets' since it's pretty common practise for Thai's to just let them wander often without a collar, so in most Thai village you see dogs wandering in packs and who knows if they in fact have 'owners', and I use the word owner almost tongue in cheek.

Dogs are ownerless all the while they bite, kill chickens or cause accidents yet ofen become Crufts Champions (£) upon being ran over ????

4 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

So the prospect of a CULL of stray dogs has never even entered their little grey cells. 

I am all for registering the damn dogs and cats, BUT if they do nothing about those that are running wild it is all a complete waste of time. About time Thais got their collective heads out of their <deleted> and did something about all these stray and often wild animals . 

At a guess it's not so much 'not entered their little grey cells', but the Buddhist 'not killing' influence probably comes into it.

I can see there would be a public outcry over it - not that I'm defending it.

It doesn't stop that fat-slob Italian-Thai boss from shooting a black panther for fun, of course.

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Someone should tell them that They clearly are over performing  on Visa stuff regulations and under performing on their stray dogs approach..

They need to get these stray dogs doing 90 day reports! That'll fix 'em.

snoop 1130 said if the 450 Baht is enough to make people abandon pets they didn't care for them anyhow.

The 450 Baht doesn't sound a lot, especially to those that have money, but to the average Thai worker in Thailand whose wages are 300 - 320 Baht per day, it is a huge amount, people on this type of wage manage to survive (barely) but it is a day to day existence, were they able to save 450 Baht I am sure there would be many things they would like to pay for. Percentage wise it is a lot of money against the basic wage.

Just to provide an example, in Australia the average daily wage is $300.00 dog registration fees vary but as an example I will use Western Australia, for a desexed dog a 1 year fee is $20, a 3 year fee $42.50 and a lifetime fee (life of the dog) is $100. It does get more expensive for an animal that hasn't been desexed, namely i year fee is $50, 3 year fee is $120 and life of the animal fee $250.

I provide these only to show the percentage of expense related to income., which I am sure you can all work out yourselves.

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

At a guess it's not so much 'not entered their little grey cells', but the Buddhist 'not killing' influence probably comes into it.

I can see there would be a public outcry over it - not that I'm defending it.

It doesn't stop that fat-slob Italian-Thai boss from shooting a black panther for fun, of course.

It doesn't seem to stop Buddhists killing Buddhists.....yet another wife killed today by a low life husband.

Archived