Bangkok Bank ACH Problem

I instructed my US bank to transfer some funds to my Thai Bangkok Bank account via its New York office. I've done this successfully for a long time and it's very convenient. This time my US bank reported to me that the transfer failed. BB customer service says I need to call the New York branch during business hours. Has anyone else had a problem? I'm wondering if this is just a glitch in my account or is due to some wider system problem with all the system changes BB is implementing.

Interesting and first report I have seen but could very well have something to do with pending changes, but perhaps by your home banks action rather than New York - time should tell if others have same issue. 

You may want to try Transferwise as an alternative as many of us find it works just as well and often as cheap or cheaper for normal monthly type transfers.

First report I've seen of a transfer failing except when someone was trying to setup a new ibanking ACH transfer link which can no longer be done as Bangkok Bank NY started rejecting trial deposits usually used to setup ibanking transfer link back around Apr/May 18 in preparation of stopping all ACH transfers 1 Apr 19  if not sent in IAT format.   But if you were doing a ibanking transfer from an "established" ibanking transfer link or started the transfer via call/fax/visit to your US bank those would continue to go through.

Will be interesting to see if any other folks report ACH transfers now failing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ahab said:

I just transferred money from my US credit union to my BKK Bank via the NYC BKK Bank office, worked like a champ. After April I will be using TransferWise to move money.

Sent mine on Monday...arrived at 09:55 today...32.36.

I had the same problem 1 week ago.. My money was returned.. I called the Bangkok bank in London and they said my name was incorrect on the transfer.. For some reason my transfer put my nickname instead of my real name.. This has never happened before in the 7 years i have been with them.. I then went onto my UK bank account and changed my nickname to my real name.. I called london branch and they said that is now ok and i got my money the Next Day..

Very confusing and weird

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Huayrat said:

I had the same problem 1 week ago.. My money was returned.. I called the Bangkok bank in London and they said my name was incorrect on the transfer.. For some reason my transfer put my nickname instead of my real name.. This has never happened before in the 7 years i have been with them.. I then went onto my UK bank account and changed my nickname to my real name.. I called london branch and they said that is now ok and i got my money the Next Day..

Very confusing and weird

Now if your nick name versus actual first name has always been on your UK bank account it sounds like Bangkok Bank just finally did a manual name match/close look at one of your transfers and rejected based on a name mismatch like you said.  That is, for "previous" transfers they did "not" look that close at the name. 

But if your UK bank did have your actual first name but for some reason used your nick name for this one transfer or numerous transfers then that's a problem with your UK bank.  But how would they know your nick name unless you gave it to them?  Like maybe in the transfer request "you" entered your nick name as the sender on the transfer request although they really have your actual first name on file for the account registration.

I would think for original UK account registration/opening you have to use your actual first and last name...and maybe even middle name or initial....no nick names allowed?   Like the name as it appears on your passport which is what Thai banks use to register/open a bank account.

Edited by Pib

I am missing $ 1500.00 (50 000B) US,  In May 2015, 3 yrs ago I contacted Bank of Bangkok New NY ACH. They made me Open an Account... ?????   I angry ....so I  open one F_ _ K Y_ _ .... Thai BKB say call New York......I ==71,,, I no CALL,,,,I hate phones...Next Month DEC I call get Christmas JOY.........

Update. On the suggestion of the Bangkok Bank Chiang Rai branch I called New York branch directly. For some reason my name or account number were no longer matching in their system. The New York branch rep was no help and didn't seem interested in helping.

Since New York is no longer going to support ACH anyway, I just gave up. That leaves me with SWIFT or Transferwise. Transferwise seems much cheaper. I signed up with them and initiated a test transfer. Hope this process will be as convenient as ACH.

4 minutes ago, Manassas said:

For some reason my name or account number were no longer matching in their system.

Is your account here in your full name "John Blank Doe" as Thai will often make that account John Blank rather than John Doe.  Am sure a US bank would send to John Doe.  My Ibanking is my first and middle name.  Have not had any issues but can see it happening if someone was monitoring name/account and a transfer did not have that name on it.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Is your account here in your full name "John Blank Doe" as Thai will often make that account John Blank rather than John Doe.  Am sure a US bank would send to John Doe.  My Ibanking is my first and middle name.  Have not had any issues but can see it happening if someone was monitoring name/account and a transfer did not have that name on it.

I've seen the confusion over middle names and name order. But I've been using BB ACH transfers successfully for several years. I've changed nothing in either the US or BB account. I can't understand why suddenly a transfer got rejected, other than something in the BB system changed in preparation for them terminating ACH support.

My question to the OP are you sure your first and last name on your U.S. account is exactly the same as on your Bangkok Bank account? 

Also, where you also said Bangkok Bank NY said your "account number" possibly didn't match, that makes no sense as you do not have an account with the NY branch; you only have an account with your "in-Thailand" branch. 

When an ACH hits the NY branch for relay to your in-Thailand branch bank account I'm sure the NY branch can pull up and see your account in Thailand.  Account data from your in-Thailand branch....not some separate account the NY branch has with you because the NY branch does not have retail accounts, like for common folks such as you or me.  The NY branch only opens accounts for wholesale/corporate customers.  Maybe they really meant there is just a name mismatch between your "Sending U.S. account" and your receiving Bangkok Bank account. 

While middle name (assuming you have one) is also used on your Bangkok Bank account but "might not be registered" on your U.S. account as some U.S. banks don't care about a middle name or middle initial, I doubt any middle name/initial mismatch is the problem.  Your first and last name are the critical two names.

You saw above a UK guy's story about his transfer to Bangkok Bank getting rejected since he apparently had been using his "nick" name with his UK bank account, but of course his Bangkok Bank account would use his actual name as shown on his passport.   Just an example of a nick name usage would be like for actual name of Richard some common nick names are Rich, Rickie, Dick, etc.  

Maybe Bangkok Bank is now getting more serious about name matching where they were not so serious before.   But over the years I've seen plenty of posts where people are sending money to say their girl friend's or wife's account (or just someone with a different name...at least a different first name) and they have been going through which implies Bangkok Bank was not be even worried about "name matching." 

If I was you I would also call back your "U.S. bank" and have them state to your what name and account number was used in the transfer.  "Don't tell them what it was suppose to be but have the read to you what was used." 

Now, if you are just clicking a long established transfer link you have used over and over, then that info shouldn't have changed over the years unless "you" recently made some change.   Now if your instructions you said you have been given your U.S. bank are instead provided by you each and every time via a phone call or fax versus just clicking an establish ibanking transfer link, then I would definitely be checking if something got gabbled in your latest call/fax-in instructions.

21 hours ago, Pib said:

Now if your nick name versus actual first name has always been on your UK bank account it sounds like Bangkok Bank just finally did a manual name match/close look at one of your transfers and rejected based on a name mismatch like you said.  That is, for "previous" transfers they did "not" look that close at the name. 

But if your UK bank did have your actual first name but for some reason used your nick name for this one transfer or numerous transfers then that's a problem with your UK bank.  But how would they know your nick name unless you gave it to them?  Like maybe in the transfer request "you" entered your nick name as the sender on the transfer request although they really have your actual first name on file for the account registration.

I would think for original UK account registration/opening you have to use your actual first and last name...and maybe even middle name or initial....no nick names allowed?   Like the name as it appears on your passport which is what Thai banks use to register/open a bank account.

The Details of my info on my bank transfers has never been changed in 7 years.. So it was not me that changed anything.. Everymonth for 7 years same transfer and then it is not correct..

Edited by Huayrat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Manassas said:

Update. On the suggestion of the Bangkok Bank Chiang Rai branch I called New York branch directly. For some reason my name or account number were no longer matching in their system. The New York branch rep was no help and didn't seem interested in helping.

Since New York is no longer going to support ACH anyway, I just gave up. That leaves me with SWIFT or Transferwise. Transferwise seems much cheaper. I signed up with them and initiated a test transfer. Hope this process will be as convenient as ACH.

Same me .. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pib said:

My question to the OP are you sure your first and last name on your U.S. account is exactly the same as on your Bangkok Bank account? 

Also, where you also said Bangkok Bank NY said your "account number" possibly didn't match, that makes no sense as you do not have an account with the NY branch; you only have an account with your "in-Thailand" branch. 

When an ACH hits the NY branch for relay to your in-Thailand branch bank account I'm sure the NY branch can pull up and see your account in Thailand.  Account data from your in-Thailand branch....not some separate account the NY branch has with you because the NY branch does not have retail accounts, like for common folks such as you or me.  The NY branch only opens accounts for wholesale/corporate customers.  Maybe they really meant there is just a name mismatch between your "Sending U.S. account" and your receiving Bangkok Bank account. 

While middle name (assuming you have one) is also used on your Bangkok Bank account but "might not be registered" on your U.S. account as some U.S. banks don't care about a middle name or middle initial, I doubt any middle name/initial mismatch is the problem.  Your first and last name are the critical two names.

You saw above a UK guy's story about his transfer to Bangkok Bank getting rejected since he apparently had been using his "nick" name with his UK bank account, but of course his Bangkok Bank account would use his actual name as shown on his passport.   Just an example of a nick name usage would be like for actual name of Richard some common nick names are Rich, Rickie, Dick, etc.  

Maybe Bangkok Bank is now getting more serious about name matching where they were not so serious before.   But over the years I've seen plenty of posts where people are sending money to say their girl friend's or wife's account (or just someone with a different name...at least a different first name) and they have been going through which implies Bangkok Bank was not be even worried about "name matching." 

If I was you I would also call back your "U.S. bank" and have them state to your what name and account number was used in the transfer.  "Don't tell them what it was suppose to be but have the read to you what was used." 

Now, if you are just clicking a long established transfer link you have used over and over, then that info shouldn't have changed over the years unless "you" recently made some change.   Now if your instructions you said you have been given your U.S. bank are instead provided by you each and every time via a phone call or fax versus just clicking an establish ibanking transfer link, then I would definitely be checking if something got gabbled in your latest call/fax-in instructions.

I have just told you the problem.. For some reason they are using your Nickname on your account and not your real name.  That is what happened to me. I called BK bank london and they told me over the phone what the name was and it was my nickname.. So i had to edit my nickname in my transfer details to my full name..

FYI. I tried Transferwise. The money was in my local account in 18 hours. The fee was reasonable and the exchange rate was good and I think more to market rate than ACH. This may be even better than ACH via Bangkok Bank. But, as I said, since ACH service is being terminated anyway, I think this is how I will transfer funds from now on.

Thanks to all for the tips.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 7:43 AM, Manassas said:

FYI. I tried Transferwise. The money was in my local account in 18 hours. The fee was reasonable and the exchange rate was good and I think more to market rate than ACH. This may be even better than ACH via Bangkok Bank. But, as I said, since ACH service is being terminated anyway, I think this is how I will transfer funds from now on.

Thanks to all for the tips.

I tried to open a Transferwise account. Everything went smoothly and I placed a first test transfer and it went smoothly too. Two days later they deactivated the account with no explanation. Their customer service offered no information and said appeal. So I appealed. They denied the appeal with no explanation. I have no idea why this happened. My credit and banking history are excellent. Anyone have an insight as to why this may have happened? Anyone else experience this?

Edited by adzac

1 hour ago, adzac said:

I tried to open a Transferwise account. Everything went smoothly and I placed a first test transfer and it went smoothly too. Two days later they deactivated the account with no explanation. Their customer service offered no information and said appeal. So I appealed. They denied the appeal with no explanation. I have no idea why this happened. My credit and banking history are excellent. Anyone have an insight as to why this may have happened? Anyone else experience this?

Wow. That sounds unacceptable. Sure they have the right to cancel accounts but not telling you the reason, that's horrible. 

This could be a big deal if Thai immigration changes to requiring monthly transfers as surely many people will be using TransferWise for that. 

If googling along the lines of "Transferwise deactivated/closed my account" quite a few links will appear with people complaining about out-of-the-blue account deactivation.    You will not find any specific reason...normally you'll just see exchanges like below from Transferwise Twitter page.   The people who get cancelled normally have stories like adzac's post above (not imply anything).

Is there some details missing in adzac's story....some problem with ID....some problem with were the payments were going....actual residential address...or gosh knows what a third party observer (like me writing this post) might think could be the reason for cancellation.   I'm sure there is a reason...it's just apparently Transferwise might not tell you based on complaints I've seen....and apparently in other cases they will tell you and work with you to correct the problem.

I've also noticed people with the Borderless Account option activated on their Transferwise account seem complain a good amount about account deactivation.....maybe because Transferwise is concerned about certain payments going into the Borderless account. 

Now my account or the wife's Transferwise account which we've had for around 6 months could be cancelled out of the blue tomorrow.  If that happened I would have a post similar to adzac's is saying, I ain't got a clue why it was cancelled....Transferwise would not say...etc."   

Examples of Out of the Blue Transferwise Acct Closure Complaints....some of them can get heated.

•  

Don’t use transferwise service! They are a big scam. They deactivated my account without any reason. I am using a high profile accounting firm. My company exist for over 5 years. I just tried to save some money in transfers and now I just loose weeks in getting my money back.

1 reply0 retweets1 like

•  

You never look into iT. You Just write the same replies over and over again. I prooved i am Not doing anything wrong but transferwise never admits They did something wrong! Warning: do Not use transferwise! You Will loose your money!

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

7EAKrB4w_bigger.jpgTransferWiseVerified account @TransferWise
FollowFollow @TransferWise
More
Replying to @steveplugin

Rest assured our team looks into each and every single case diligently and we are audited by impartial regulators. We truly wish to help and are awaiting for your DM to take the next steps.

10:26 AM - 6 Oct 2018

Replying to @TransferWise

You say that over and over again. I send All proove, I have revolut account, I have bank accounts, I dont do nothing wrong. You dont even give a reason. You customer service sucks and So does transferwise. Dont trust transferwise! Its a scam!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 2:11 PM, Huayrat said:

I have just told you the problem.. For some reason they are using your Nickname on your account and not your real name.  That is what happened to me. I called BK bank london and they told me over the phone what the name was and it was my nickname.. So i had to edit my nickname in my transfer details to my full name..

I have been battling with this problem, largely caused by Bangkok Bank not issuing clear instructions when they first started discussing the changes in the ACH handling in the NYC "Direct Deposit" account.

For any who've followed this, it started sometime back end Jun/beg Jul.  They took down their ACH/Direct Deposit page which had great information on it and several people heard from several branches that "OMG, Bangkok Bank is killing the ACH and won't accept commercial transfers, only US Treasury and even that will cease in May next year!  The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!"

Finally, in October, there is a memo from Bangkok Bank.  Ask your branch for Memo NMG.GPSD01761.

The key point, as you mention is name and detail matching.  They don't know that Cosmo Vlipotechowicz is Kozminzky Vlipotechowicz. Your account in Bangkok and your activity with Bangkok Bank NYC are done under your passport name. If your financial institution or pension fund is under Tom Vlipotechowicz because that's how you were known way back when you set up the account, that's also a problem.

Also of interest is that a lot of us here take an almost libertarian view of this stuff and think this is an intrusion and don't want the US bank/financial institution to know our physical location.  That won't work with all the controls they now have on ACH.  They're trying to catch bad guys and gals and have merely  swept us up in their security overkill.  

The program is not being terminated.  They are merely trying to comply with myriad laws from the US and Thai governments.  Look at the strange account via NYC in the first place.  All that "must show up in  person with passport, cannot send relative or delegate and no electronic banking" is to comply with US requirements.  Bangkok Bank were the only people who achieved that bar, by making the account completely old school.  No other bank was willing or able to do so.  

Your Bangkok Bank NY account is opened with the name on your passport.  Your passport will match your social security number but they will allow some leeway for Treasure checks because the key identifier is the SS#.  Treasury has had no trouble complying.  If your commercial pension or trading accounts do not have those exact names, it is probably far easier to go to them and request them to:

A) Change your name and mailing address to exactly match the Bangkok Bank (and thus your passport) details.

B) Make sure THEY contact the Bangkok Bank NY branch to confirm that those details are what is required.  (Cheat.... get email or postal addresses and write them a confirming letter with a cc to Bangkok Bank NY.

I don't have a scanner but a copy of the a.m. "Dear Valued Customer" letter was given to me by my home branch here in Pattaya.  The local branch didn't even know about it but stumbled upon it looking for something else I wanted.

Note to Bangkok Bank if you have anyone browsing the web for mentions of yourselves. Please note Transferwise's response.  They see their name being bandied about?  They react.  There have been lengthy conversations about this  various forums/chat rooms for the past five months.  A little PR work wouldn't hurt!  This should be a golden opportunity for you:

1. Educate your branches. They know nothing about this program other than the stack of antiquated forms the ask you to fill out (one dates back to the era where every mobile in Thailand had the same prefix!  They just keep copying the same old form.  Trying to track down accurate information on this, I got three different responses from three different Bangkok Bank branches!

2. Parlay this into better business.  We are very often married, own houses and have all kinds of financial needs.  Since we all have to move the money out of the Direct Deposit account, in person, it's far easier to hand over our Direct Deposit bank book and regular one and say, "Please move 100,000 baht from this account to this account.  I know many people who take all the money out and walk up the block to that K bank or the S bank and put it all in there.  "On retirement" doesn't mean destitute.  Our "pensions" put us in the earning ranges of the top 10% of the Thai population,....   the market you are dying to get your hands on.  You don't want to sell me insurance or a pension.... you want to sell it to my wife and son!  If daddy moneybags says "Oh, let's go do it with The Bangkok Bank.  Our funds come through them and their service is topnotch...." they're not going to go shopping for the local branch recommended by that friend of their aunty.