London travellers face disruption as Heathrow rail line suspended

webfact

London travellers face disruption as Heathrow rail line suspended

2018-10-17T070137Z_1_LYNXNPEE9G0KX_RTROPTP_4_FESTIVAL-GLASTONBURY.JPG

Revellers queue to board a train for the Glastonbury Festival, at Paddington Station in London, Britain June 24, 2015. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

LONDON (Reuters) - Rail travellers in and out of London faced disruption on Wednesday after damage to overhead power lines stopped trains running between the British capital and Heathrow Airport and destinations in the west of the country.

Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport, and London are linked by a fast rail connection from Paddington station. UK infrastructure operator Network Rail said services were suspended on Wednesday after lines were damaged on Tuesday.

People can travel to and from the airport via a rail replacement bus service, to take a taxi or use the slower connection on the London Underground subway network.

"We apologise to passengers affected by the disruption and our teams have been working through the night to open the railway as soon as possible," Network Rail said in a statement.

Paddington is one of London's busiest stations and its connections to Reading were also suspended.

(Reporting by Sarah Young; Editing by William Schomberg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-17

I rarely use the Heathrow Express, but often use the Piccadilly Line between Heathrow and various points east. Whilst it is a very busy line I think it is quite effective given the volume of people carried. T5 seems particularly easy to get in and out of.

When I was still working I used to dread having to fly through LHR. Just getting between terminals can be a nightmare, let alone getting into London.

I've used by the underground and the Heathrow Express years ago. Can't remember if the latter was electrified at that time. I do however remember it being pretty darn expensive!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

When I was still working I used to dread having to fly through LHR. Just getting between terminals can be a nightmare, let alone getting into London.

I've used by the underground and the Heathrow Express years ago. Can't remember if the latter was electrified at that time. I do however remember it being pretty darn expensive!

Heathrow Express is relatively expensive at 27 pounds one way if bought on board the train, but the cheap Piccadilly line option is so slow

20 hours ago, observer90210 said:

My humble appologies to my British friends, but ever since I was a teen, Heathrow has always been one big huge mess. :sorry:

Yes.....It makes me ashamed to think of what foreigners 1st impressions must be when they arrive at this s * * t hole for the 1st time. And when leaving they r even too mean now to provide trolleys on the departure side.

Just now, Belzybob said:

Heathrow Express is relatively expensive at 27 pounds one way if bought on board the train, but the cheap Piccadilly line option is so slow

Todays cost is £25 with no discount for a rail card.

Sure the underground is cheaper but if you've got heavy luggage not an easy option.

The cheapest option is a bus from Victoria coach station for around £6 to £8.

4 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Yes.....It makes me ashamed to think of what foreigners 1st impressions must be when they arrive at this s * * t hole for the 1st time. And when leaving they r even too mean now to provide trolleys on the departure side.

My appologies to be a bit off topic, but I guess that 1st impressions may be as bad, if not worse, when  arriving in Thailand, when the taxi cheat at Suvarnabhumi Airport starts to argue, refuses the meter and tries to cheat the arriving tourist. And the authorities seem to approve as nothing is ever done that lasts !

It gives the beat to the tourists and shows them what to expect throughout their stay in Thailand, but strangely, some tourists apparently accept to get it in "from behind" and get cheated !!? :whistling:

Edited by observer90210