Void Without Prejudice SETV from Phnom Penh Embassy.

33, USA, only one METV in passport. Spent 30 days in Cambodia. No Visa Exempts (yet). This is my very FIRST visa run (had two boarder runs to Myanmar and two extensions) Thought I'd let everyone know, and also ask a few questions, but seems SETV are getting denied pretty heavily at the Phnom Penh Thai Embassy for basically little to no reason. Myself, and two other people got these black ink stamps on our visas saying "Denied Without Prejudice." After talking to them, it seems they filled everything out properly to the best of their knowledge. My issue may have been an exit bus ticket from Bangkok back to Cambodia that did not clearly say CAMBODIA on it. It just listed the drop off point, which was some market. The lady when she took my money (as always) made me highlight it with pen, when I asked if ok, she confirmed yes (I should have said oppps forgot my money BRB and got a better one, it crossed my mind). They of course won't say anything and won't even look you in the eye. The front desk guy, when I asked him about it, took my passport and started laughing with some other random Thai then threw it back at me and continued to play with his phone. Pretty rude honestly, I was polite the whole time and honestly just wanted help.

The travel agency guys with the piles of passports had some expression on their faces as well when getting visas back, so something is up. Also, I found several other reports of this same thing happening within the last two weeks, with seemingly no reason: https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/9kpadp/void_without_prejudice_can_reapply/

Thought I would let everyone know, but I don't think Cambodia is a good idea, nothing but scams here. My Questions are:

-Does Void Without Prejudice mean I can't reapply? Here or in another embassy? Could I try to reapply here in Phnom Penh?

-I already bought my airline ticket (I know I should have just had a flight held, won't make the mistake again) can I just use it too get a Visa Exempt (assuming I have money and docs in hand on arrival) or does this void stamp prevent me from that as well?

-Anyone have experience with the embassy in Ho Chin Min?

-On Visa Exempt do I need 10k baht or 20k baht in hand? Can it be in USD? (heard conflicting things)

-Do I need both Exit air ticket AND hotel proof if I attempt a visa exempt. Anything else I should know on Visa Exempt. Flying into Bangkok then on to Chiang Mai.

EDIT: Also, what are the chances I get detained at the Airport attempting a Visa Exempt??? Will the Void effect my chances? I have years of savings so plane ticket no  problem.

Pic related.

IMG_2242.JPG

Edited by swineninety9

Phnom Penh office have probably been instructed that bribes are not allowed so they are passing on the anger to visitors

This is why they 100% should supply a reason, i mean if it's a bunch of people getting denied like you say it is, how much baht are they raking in by cancelling these visa's? Would that money go where its supposed to?

If a visa is voided, did it ever exist?

So they take your application and your money and place a visa sticker in your passport... and then cancel it before they hand the passport back?

Get an onward (departing Thailand) air ticket with a departure date within 28-days of your planned arrival in BKK/DMK. Your domestic Chiang Mai destination is of no importance to Immigration.

The 20k baht in cash OR EQUIVALENT IN OTHER CURRENCY is also a must.

Good luck!

• Like 1

This is not the first report of the Phnom Penh doing the void stamp on a tourist visa without any explanation as to why it was done.

You should not have a problem entering visa exempt since you apparently have no history of doing them to stay here. Just be prepared to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days and the equivalent of 20k baht in cash.

• Like 2

(edit - see he had one METV only)

If you want more "what the <bleep> happened" info, you could ask at the visa-service inside the Lucky-Lucky Moto Shop (tuk-tuks should know where it is).  That is where I had all my PP Thai-Visas handled.

The "without prejudice" language should mean you are OK to apply again.  If you have time and money, maybe try HCMC?  Then you could still use your air-ticket within 60-days.

If coming back Visa-Exempt, I would do it via a land-border other than Poipet/Aranya.  You can take a shared-Taxi from Battambang to Ban Laem, which is how I return to Thailand from Cambodia.  I would never use Poipet or risk flying to deal with Thai airport IOs, even with my Non-O ME Visa - certainly not Visa-Exempt or Tourist, unless I had a very sparse history of stays in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Phnom Penh office have probably been instructed that bribes are not allowed so they are passing on the anger to visitors

This is why they 100% should supply a reason, i mean if it's a bunch of people getting denied like you say it is, how much baht are they raking in by cancelling these visa's? Would that money go where its supposed to?

If a visa is voided, did it ever exist?

I would guess the same people who bought-off both Bangkok airport immigrations + Poipet/Aranya, are extending their purchases into MFA territory.  That consulate would have been a relatively cheap/easy purchase, given it's corrupt-history and relatively low-volume of late.  All it would take, is an offer paying more than the agents were already paying.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Haha 1

Almost happened to me once :The front desk clerks (Cambodians) put the sticker in, and the The Thai guy signing them decides to cancel it. In my case was called for an interview, and in the end he approved it. But never seen that without prejudice stamp :that's a new one.

Your mistake was to go to the embassy yourself, IN PP you always go through an agent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huayrat said:

This is worrying.. I'm going there in 3 weeks and i'm seriously thinking of staying in siem reap for 3 Days then fly back into Thailand and get 30 Days+ 30 more extension.. Might give the consulate in PP a miss all together..

Even before the recent bad-news, it is best to plan on a week+ to get a Tourist Visa from an agent in Siem Reap, or 3 to 4 days if in PP - assuming you can get one at all, in the current climate. 

If no longer-stay history in Thailand in the last year or two, entering visa-exempt by air should be OK. But recent reports indicate the IOs at both Bangkok airports are reporting stopping those with a longer-stay history, even if out of Thailand for months per year.  Fortunately, recent reports also indicate no problem getting 2 Visa-Exempts per calendar-year at a friendly (i.e. "Not Poipet") land-border. 

22 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Even before the recent bad-news, it is best to plan on a week+ to get a Tourist Visa from an agent in Siem Reap, or 3 to 4 days if in PP - assuming you can get one at all, in the current climate. 

If no longer-stay history in Thailand in the last year or two, entering visa-exempt by air should be OK. But recent reports indicate the IOs at both Bangkok airports are reporting stopping those with a longer-stay history, even if out of Thailand for months per year.  Fortunately, recent reports also indicate no problem getting 2 Visa-Exempts per calendar-year at a friendly (i.e. "Not Poipet") land-border. 

Done the 2 land border runs already..

I am in the same position having received the void with prejudice on Tuesday from Phnom Penh.
Several other people who received the same stamp at my visa agency that day.

I have flown to Laos yesterday and applied for a tourist visa today, i will update tomorrow if its successful or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Huayrat said:

Done the 2 land border runs already..

In that case, maybe HCMC, Hanoi, or Savannakhet for a TR.  See SR on the way back from HCMC, perhaps?   After returning, I'd also get a new passport, just to get rid of that sticker. 

This runaround is all so incredibly stupid and counterproductive to expats and Thailand.  I've been there and done that, until I got married.  I really feel for you guys still stuck in this morass - wish I could be more help.

3 minutes ago, melack said:

I have flown to Laos yesterday and applied for a tourist visa today, i will update tomorrow if its successful or not.

Usually, if they accept the application, you will be OK - but thanks in advance for the update tomorrow.  I suspect they will be seeing a lot of those stickers, soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, melack said:

I am in the same position having received the void with prejudice on Tuesday from Phnom Penh.
Several other people who received the same stamp at my visa agency that day.

Just got my third setv from the Vientiane consulate without any problems, an my in and out history with 5 extmpt the last 1,5 year and extended all of them, so if I can get you can get.

Just now, The traveler said:

Just got my third setv from the Vientiane consulate without any problems, an my in and out history with 5 extmpt the last 1,5 year and extended all of them, so if I can get you can get.

My previous visas from Vientiane April, and July, but I will not go for the fourth there.

people have adviced me go to savannkhet,kuala Lumpur or Hcmc for the fourth.

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you want more "what the <bleep> happened" info, you could ask at the visa-service inside the Lucky-Lucky Moto Shop (tuk-tuks should know where it is).  That is where I had all my PP Thai-Visas handled.

The "without prejudice" language should mean you are OK to apply again.  If you have time and money, maybe try HCMC?  Then you could still use your air-ticket within 60-days.

If coming back Visa-Exempt, I would do it via a land-border other than Poipet/Aranya.  You can take a shared-Taxi from Battambang to Ban Laem, which is how I return to Thailand from Cambodia.  I would never use Poipet or risk flying to deal with Thai airport IOs, even with my Non-O ME Visa - certainly not Visa-Exempt or Tourist, unless I had a very sparse history of stays in Thailand.

I would guess the same people who bought-off both Bangkok airport immigrations + Poipet/Aranya, are extending their purchases into MFA territory.  That consulate would have been a relatively cheap/easy purchase, given it's corrupt-history and relatively low-volume of late.  All it would take, is an offer paying more than the agents were already paying.

In February this year I had the same problem In HCM! SETV with the stamp "VOID"! Upon request only laughter between two 20ish thai guys. Extremely rude, no any answer!

I had all docs, more than enough $$$ & a payed air ticket out! Also seen "visa agents" with a bunch of passports & papers...

In the aftermath I heard a lot steange things about the consulate  there in HCM! I strongly recomment to use Hanoi (very friendly, no waiting que at all) or Vientiane.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So they take your application and your money and place a visa sticker in your passport... and then cancel it before they hand the passport back?

Get an onward (departing Thailand) air ticket with a departure date within 28-days of your planned arrival in BKK/DMK. Your domestic Chiang Mai destination is of no importance to Immigration.

Good luck!

All the official documents state 10k baht for one single person. Why do I always hear 20k. Should that not be for families?

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I always hear the opposite, better to fly in... or is immigration seeding false information online to catch people? I'm flying into Chiang Mai, do I go through immigration in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

4 hours ago, thecyclist said:

IN PP you always go through an agent. 

I don't like the idea of handing my passport over to someone I don't know, but never doing Cambodia again, so hopefully this won't be an issue.

4 hours ago, Huayrat said:

This is worrying.. I'm going there in 3 weeks and i'm seriously thinking of staying in siem reap for 3 Days then fly back into Thailand and get 30 Days+ 30 more extension.. Might give the consulate in PP a miss all together..

From my experience so far (note I've been in Phnom Penh for going on 16 days now trying to get this sorted, when I originally panned 5 days) I would not even bother unless you have lots of time AND you plan on following the rules EXACTLY and DON"T TRUST ANYONE. Just skip to Vietnam (but I don't have any experience with Vietnam). Don't go off the embassy website, go off the Visa Application, if its listed, its needed. If not sure, ask, don't assume. In fact ask more than one person. Don't be afraid to walk away if you smell an ounce of trouble, just say you forgot your cash or something.

In general I'm going to tell you right now, EVERY Cambodian has tried to scam me so far, EVERY SINGLE ONE. Only ones who don't screw you are the foreign business owners. Check EVERY DOLLAR BILL you get for tears or marks, only new edition bills with no rips or tears whatsoever will be accepted by anyone. If you get passed a bad bill go to ANZ bank and get it exchanged. Don't break hundreds at anything but at ANZ bank, as they will try and pawn counterfeit $20's on you or torn bills in the stack somewhere. Check every food bill for over charges, and always keep track of the cost. Every restaurant would over charge me on drinks. Charging me 1$ for .50cent water ect. Don't be afraid to push back on these things as they generally capitulate quickly.

Get the PassApp (like Uber but much cheaper) on your phone and avoid Tuk Tuks if you can, unless you get one for the whole day like for Ankgor Wat. Whole day should be $15-$25 depending on how many temples you go to. If you want to do the Genocide Center and Prison S21 in Phnom Penh get the $15 AC bus tour, runs twice a day. If you need AC car rides get GlobalTaxi, they will always run the meter for you. Did 16km for 27 bucks. If you need to haggle a Tuk Tuk, best thing to do is state you price, if they say "no $5" just say no "x" if they still refuse just walk away and 90% of the time they will go "ok ok, I will take X" as they generally wait hours to find the next sucker who will take the bait.

BE PREPARED TO GET ACCOSTED FOR TUK TUKS/PROSTITUTES/DRUGS 15 TIMES OR MORE EACH-TIME YOU LEAVE YOUR ROOM.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, swineninety9 said:

I always hear the opposite, better to fly in... or is immigration seeding false information online to catch people? I'm flying into Chiang Mai, do I go through immigration in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

I have avoided entering Thailand visa exempt at BKK and DMK airports since early 2017, when I was hassled at the former, then interrogated at the latter. Haven't tried those two airports since, and keeping up with the news on this forum.

I did enter Chiang Mai airport visa exempt late last year, no problem, though I did have to spend extra, buying two airplane tickets from Bali, instead of just one. AirAsia automatically routs you thru DMK, so I spent about 50% more to buy a ticket to KUL, and then a second ticket departing a few hours later from KUL to CNX non-stop, therefore doing immigration in CNX airport, not Bangkok.

Since that time, all of my entries have been land entries, including two visa exempts for CY 2018. Most recent entry is by land, with SETV from Vientiane in September. Seems as though VTE is still a good place to go for a tourist visa. I did NOT need to provide onward tickets or monetary documentation.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

I did NOT need to provide onward tickets or monetary documentation.

Ya, their website was pretty sparse on info, did not seem like they needed much. Right before I left for Cambodia I had this sinking feeling I should have done Laos. Guess my gut was right. I did want to see Angkor Wat though, so it that way it was *kinda* worth it. If I had known I would have done Cambodia on my METV.

Just found this other guy denied at the boarder just late September from Cambodia:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swineninety9 said:

All the official documents state 10k baht for one single person. Why do I always hear 20k. Should that not be for families?

I always hear the opposite, better to fly in... or is immigration seeding false information online to catch people?

Yes, they are.  The Poipet/Aranya IOs are famous for telling people they must fly in - leading people to go all the way back to SR to catch a plane, when all they needed to do was take a bus/taxi down to Ban Laem (or any other entry-point except Poipet), where they could enter without issue. 

Once in an airport, you are trapped - cannot just walk back and cancel your exit from the other country - so they can detain you and send you back where you just flew from or even to your passport-country - their choice - forcing you to buy a last-minute ticket to do so.  But usually, they send rejected-people back where they just came from.

The only bad stories I have seen here on land-border entries - in years - are Poipet/Aranya.  Malaysian points are a bit more strict, but are only reported as rejecting-entry if one has an overstay history, cannot show 20K Baht worth of cash, or try to do a Visa-Exempt out/in without at least one night out. 

I'm flying into Chiang Mai, do I go through immigration in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

Depends if the flight goes through Bangkok.  If you change planes in Bangkok, you may (probably? - others may have recent experience) go through customs there.

In general I'm going to tell you right now, EVERY Cambodian has tried to scam me so far, EVERY SINGLE ONE. ..

BE PREPARED TO GET ACCOSTED FOR TUK TUKS/PROSTITUTES/DRUGS 15 TIMES OR MORE EACH-TIME YOU LEAVE YOUR ROOM.

Sad to read it has gotten this bad there.  It sounds like parts of PP have turned into something like a seedy border-town.  I also had the "want mj?? ..." thrown at me, but never experienced rip-off billing at a restaurant.  Only one time, some moto guy followed me down a street offering one illegal-thing after another - each with more potential prison-time than the last.  He must have made money (probably from the extortion-racket run on the fools who took him up on his offers), and now more have joined in.

Tuk-Tuk prices varied - and yes there was some haggling - but was generally good-natured, unlike Laos - where the attitude was hostile and the prices were insane.  My system in Cambodia was to find a good moto driver who operated near where I was staying, get his number, then call him whenever I needed to go anywhere out of walking distance. 

I lived in PP for awhile, and got to know some Cambodians who were not working tourist-gigs.  I tended to live in neighborhoods where one rarely saw another foreigners.  If staying outside of Tourist areas, you can meet good folks - but I realize this may be impractical for those staying for a short period.

• Like 1

Just found this other guy denied at the boarder just late September from Cambodia:

For YT guy - Note that a "Tourist Visa" and a "60-day" (he was getting at consulates) are the same thing. 

Likely the only reason his 2nd VE-by-land was denied, is because he attempted-entry at Poipet.  At any other land crossing, if out at least a day, and carrying the requisite cash, he would have been OK.  Surprised he received the first VE at Poipet, with that prior history.

Yes, he could have flown to Penang from Bangkok (direct) - but at that point (after so many Visas from Malaysia) he should have moved on to Laos - could have gotten 3 at Vientiane and who knows how many more at Savannakhet before Getting a New Passport to reset the count on Tourist-Visas (he calls 60-day visas).

It is amazing he got so many TR-Visas at KL in a row.  And so many VEs by air into Bangkok (all extended), without an interrogation. 

Edited by JackThompson

Unbelievable, quite factious of an embassy to have such a procedure and at odds with what the visa stamp represents; that the applicant is qualified to receive a visa. If this were not the case, one would expect to receive a receipt for the fee only, no need at all to deface the passport.

7 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Unbelievable, quite factious of an embassy to have such a procedure and at odds with what the visa stamp represents; that the applicant is qualified to receive a visa. If this were not the case, one would expect to receive a receipt for the fee only, no need at all to deface the passport.

The guys applying in India get this a lot, also.  Many Thai consulates are more civilized - just say "no" if they won't do it, and don't even take your money.

Quick Question..

I have already done my 2 land border crossings.. so my question is can i fly to siem reap, stay there for 3 Days and fly back to Bangkok?. I don't want to Gamble at the PP consulate for a 60 Day Tourist visa looking at all the bad reports lately..

So can i just fly back into Thailand and how many Days do i get to stay??

Thank you..

1 hour ago, Huayrat said:

Quick Question..

I have already done my 2 land border crossings.. so my question is can i fly to siem reap, stay there for 3 Days and fly back to Bangkok?. I don't want to Gamble at the PP consulate for a 60 Day Tourist visa looking at all the bad reports lately..

So can i just fly back into Thailand and how many Days do i get to stay??

Thank you..

If you have spent significant time in Thailand on tourist entries, I advise you not to attempt a visa exempt entry at a Bangkok airport. You might be lucky, but they have full discretion to deny you entry (and visa exempt entry is sometimes denied there for people like yourself). I recommend you go for a tourist visa somewhere else (Vientiane, Savannakhet, Yangon, Hanoi and Hong Kong would be on my list of possibles).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you have spent significant time in Thailand on tourist entries, I advise you not to attempt a visa exempt entry at a Bangkok airport. You might be lucky, but they have full discretion to deny you entry (and visa exempt entry is sometimes denied there for people like yourself). I recommend you go for a tourist visa somewhere else (Vientiane, Savannakhet, Yangon, Hanoi and Hong Kong would be on my list of possibles).

12 month ED Visa and 4 Land Border crossings is what i have in my passport.. so that's the last 20 months.. 

3 hours ago, Huayrat said:

12 month ED Visa and 4 Land Border crossings is what i have in my passport.. so that's the last 20 months.. 

I would add to the list compiled by @BritTim Kuala Lumpur, Penang or Bali, as long as you meet the requirements.

3 hours ago, Huayrat said:

Some Bangkok-airport IOs actively-hate ED Visas, based on what is reported.  If you have the trip to Cambodia already planned, I'd make a side-trip to Vietnam for a TR-Visa.  A bank-statement is required, and I would use an acct with as much money as possible.

Some recent reports indicate Hanoi is more friendly than HCMC, which is reported to have pulled something similar with "void" visa, recently - though it could be we just haven't had a bad-case from Hanoi yet.  In the meantime, keep an eye out for any more of these reports popping up from Hanoi - as policies at any consulate can change without notice.

@Huayrat

Despite all these reports, some of which are fake. Yes, there was this guy yesterday on a Facebook group trying to convince us it's all doom and gloom in Phnom Pehn, when in fact his wife got rejected due to the lack of an exit ticket, having had a bus ticket that did not clearly specify Thailand. So he was just making things up when he was saying "everybody gets voided".

So I do not think you are speculating with Phnom Pehn IF:

1. You have all the documents in order.

2. You go via an agent.

3. You never had an SETV from there.

I will underline the importance of an agent, at a cost of 5 to 10 dollars. Going into the Embassy alone is not recommended, because they do receive kickbacks from agents these officials, so they will scrutinise a solo application more. (corruption).

So again, to get rid of the doom and gloom, I strongly believe that people getting voided without prejudice are either missing some documentation or walking into the Embassy by themselves.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Huayrat Just to add on to what I have said, because I mixed things up.

The lack of the exit plane ticket (substituted with a bus ticket) comes from the OP of this thread.

In the case of the Facebook post I mentioned, the OP's wife financial proof was not in order. He claimed many people got voided, but his stories were quickly debunked as he was making things up.

More info on that here: 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833?view=permalink&amp;id=2239952736328583

Read the comments and draw your own conclusions. The guy was claiming that Phnom Pehn has become a "ghost town". The commenting was closed by moderators.

Edited by lkv

On 10/18/2018 at 6:28 AM, NanLaew said:

Good luck!

This is what I didn't understand. How stupid is it to cancel a visa after putting it in passport ?!

Or it is just a way to keep your visa fee ?!

Edited by jrjrjr

On 10/18/2018 at 6:25 PM, The traveler said:

My previous visas from Vientiane April, and July, but I will not go for the fourth there.

people have adviced me go to savannkhet,kuala Lumpur or Hcmc for the fourth.

A friend of mine that stayed a few years in Thailand went to Savannakhet last year and they told him they don't do single entry tourist visas anymore and that he had to go to Vientiane for that.

I have 4 single entry tourist visas from Vientiane in a row, and my 5th one got refused (I could've known) but didn't want to go to PP as I know how nasty they are over there, always nitpicking about tiny things when all the papers are in order and having to push them to accept it (which they eventually do), but now this story with void stickers, my god.

Another friend of mine went to Yangon a few times and he said they are very easy and polite. You probably do need to make a visa for Myanmar in advance.