What High Season? Same old Debate

Pilotman

45 minutes ago, balo said:

Pattaya is a busy town , high season or not, too many cars, too many bikes on the road, too many drunk idiots , December or July, I don't notice any difference. Basically it's the same year round.

I visit Pattaya once a year or so for some days and last years it wasn't busy at all. Yes there's a lot of folks on the sidewalks but they all make their money somehow on that spot.

Yes i've seen loads of coaches full of chinese in Jomtien but they all left after an hour leaving only farangs behind.

• Like 1

In CM there is a noticeable difference in high season, hotels fill up... hotel prices go up, and the streets are noticeably busier in the tourist areas... 

Where I live in the country it is not a tourist province and there is no tourist season... if you are not living in a tourist area, there will not be a high tourist season... but you know that - - right?

• Like 1

Central Pattaya is busy year-round and I don't think it has a true low season anymore.  Festival is busy all the time--was there yesterday during the day and lots of people; weekends are impossible.  Tons of people out and about on Second Road by Marina in the late  afternoons/evenings--sure to be even busier when T21 opens tomorrow. Areas away from central Pattaya get more seasonal folks who come to condos like VT2, 3, 5, and 7 year after year for the winter season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aircooledflat4 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong,  but it isn’t the alleged high season when all the scandinavians roll up in droves? To escape their winter?

Based on overheard accented English or spoken languages, Northern and western Europeans are indeed on the rise as they usually are heading into November.

In my condo building it's easy to see all the usual familiar high season people returning to their condos that were left vacant during the summer months as well as some more new faces who probably are renting the few units available for rent or some who may have recently purchased a condo for long stay or just winter occupation ... along with fresh deliveries of furniture etc.  The wait time for lifts/elevators reflects increased use compared to the last month or two.

Grocery stores, malls, 7/Elevens, street traffic all appear to be more crowded than they were in the lazy days of August.

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

is something someone dreamed up a while ago

Dreamt up based on easily accessible and interpreted supportive data.

Edited by Suradit69

My first trips were in 2004 and back then there definitely was a huge difference between high season and low season.  One could cross second road.  Of course the overall traffic was much less than it is now.  I remember literally seeing pickup trucks pulling in with girls packed in the back arriving for the high season.  Some of the go-gos were very un crowded and it was a bit awkward to sit there with no customers and the girls were pretty much not doing much since there was only one customer.  High season was a blast.  The girls wore red.  Remember just a few years ago they had all the lights down at the Gardens Mall?   I still loved the weather in November and December there.  Sitting outside at the Lek Hotel one year had a pretty darn good Christmas dinner.  They had real Turkeys they were carving up, not turkey breast pressed loaf things.  It was a pleasant get away

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

This is on the Pattaya Forum??

I don't spend that much time in the City, thank goodness.  I live about 25kls outside, maybe that's part of why I see little difference.  The beaches around us are mostly occupied by Thais and permanent expats and there is no real influx in the winter months, just the usual weekend families.  The area/restaurants/bars/hotels/ supermarkets are maybe not so Western tourist oriented.  

So why would you notice, or in anyway be troubled by the high season?

It seems an odd topic to start.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Low season, shoulder season, high season, peak season. That is how the seasons are divided at most tourist destinations. Peak season would be Dec 15-Jan 15 here in Pattaya. We would be in shoulder season now. In reality, it seems we have no high season. Shoulder season to peak season and back to shoulder season in one month. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Polaky said:

The most significant change i think is that apartment/hotel prices skyrocket from nov-feb, other than that not much at all.

Not this year . 4 star hotels 1500 baht. Good indication of how slow it really is

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shy coconut said:

So why would you notice, or in anyway be troubled by the high season?

It seems an odd topic to start.

Not troubled, just interested.  I take an interest in the country I live in, don't you? 

On 10/18/2018 at 9:30 AM, lanista said:

Last week of Nov through to end of Feb is the high season.  They'll come. They always do.

Cheap airfares, hotels and sex on tap. There is a Thai toy boy living near me who makes over 100K a month sleeping with old gay farangs.  Huge business here.

The gays pour into Thailand  for sex and  of course marriage now that its legal in some of our sad countries.

Chinese, Indians  and Russians will probably dominate as farangs find better quality destinations.

and the hetros also 'pour into...'