"Foreigners throw trash too, you know!" - Thais reject notion they are solely to blame

webfact

1 minute ago, Jadam said:

This kind of ignorant attitude and finger pointing is exactly why it will never stop.  "Who cares if I throw my rubbish on the ground?  Everyone else does it!  Look, there's garbage all over the place!"

And yes, there are lazy idiots in every country throwing trash on the ground and in the rivers.

Nope..

Not quite so much.

Sheet the blame home to where it fairly belongs-the Thai.

• Like 1

Easy solution. Good and bad in every nationality. In all the Hot Spots employ Honest Litter Wardens. 500 BHT fine for leaving litter on Beach or elsewhere. Think of the Revenue Thai Government you could make and how much cleaner your Tourist Beaches would be which would then encourage visitors to return. At the moment in Jomtien and Pattaya that is not the case. Less and fewer Farangs every year because of the litter etc. Wake up Thailand once you have exhausted the Chinese visitors who else will visit your ' Prestige Beaches!'?

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely anything to avoid taking responsibility. Do anything, say anything, but do not take responsibility for your own actions. Blame others, deflect, create a fake narrative, but do not fess up. Of course the foreigners are to blame. That means it is not us. 

The reality is that very few Thais are environmentally aware, and few clean up after themselves. In the US we have fines of 32,000 baht for throwing a cigarette butt out the window of a car. Only when Thais are penalized or humiliated will they learn how demeaning and reckless the act of throwing trash is. You can talk all you want about how much you love your nation. Action is far louder than words. Show me. Do not tell me. 

Yes.

Spot on.

I am tired of their useless talk,their laziness and their constant desire to blame others..

They would make a yak throw up if he had to stand long enough listening to the endless stream of lying/avoidant/denying cloaca.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, poohy said:

Sorry to disagree but around when i live in a very rural area  they are like pigs local workers on farms eat lunch from plastic bags etc then just dumped

seemingly the whole population travelling by motorbike or saleang has to be drinking or eating them chucking the rubbish onto the road

I do give them the due that large bags of rubbish all secured are  now just thrown into ditches hedgerows

I hope you recognized that what you quoted from me, my quoted text from another poster.

I totally agree, I don’t see any difference in the garbage mentality between urban and rural.

I think my statement previously,  was just the volume is more in urban areas, but doesn’t change the fundamentals

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, hsovereign said:

20 years ago when I was a kid I saw tractors going on to the Spanish beaches early in the morning.  With a big rake behind them,  picking up any garbage and making the sand look pretty awesome.  Why can't they do that in Thailand?? 

They do in Greece too even when they went bust

17 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Quote from QLD Minister....open your eyes Jimmy newbie.

Minister’s foreword
Every day across Queensland, our parks, streets, forests and waterways are subjected to 
pollution from litter and illegally dumped waste.
Plastic bags, cigarette butts, glass bottles, hazardous materials and other wastes are 
discarded thoughtlessly. These actions impact on our local communities, as well as the 
environment. On a larger scale, domestic and commercial waste illegally dumped by the 
trailer and truck load, leaves the clean-up and costs to others.
Litter and illegally dumped waste create dirty and unsafe places that detract from the 
enjoyment of people using urban and green spaces. 
Litter and illegal dumping costs Queensland millions of dollars each year. An environment 
polluted with rubbish deters visitors and impacts on the state’s tourism industry.
Littering and illegal dumping also threatens our marine animals, native wildlife and 
natural ecosystems. Children are at risk of injury or worse from broken glass, discarded 
needles, demolition waste, asbestos and rusting metal. 
Items that could be recycled are wasted, and the opportunity for reuse is lost. The regrettable 
volumes of illegally dumped commercial waste highlight this missed opportunity and the

what part of thai forum do you not understand, thai apologist fool 

On 10/18/2018 at 10:44 AM, seajae said:

wife's office is at the local port, I often go down to say hi during the day and watch those fishing. Its not unusual to see mum and dad rock up with their rods and several bags of household rubbish. The rubbish gets thrown into the water on the inside shallows of the jetty then they take their rods and start fishing on the other side, rubbish is simply thrown where ever they want, thais have no respect for their country as can be seen by all the crap they throw on the streets, gutters and any waterways. Its also seen when they do it overseas when on tours, they do what ever is easiest for them.

why doesnt your hero prayut do something

This is one of those threads destined to go around and around.

The apologists will deny the fact what you can see with your eyes every single day the piles of garbage dumped on the roadside, vacant land, peoples yards!

At this point it's almost a pointless discussion.

Village, town, city, doesn't matter. The Thai propensity to dump trash whenever they want is pervasive, and don't even start with the 'what about your country crap'. You know that's total BS, not any country in the West that even comes close

• Like 1

The new news source: Facebook. Why should anyone give a d*** about what people are saying on Facebook?

The Thai community should treat their beaches like a hotel. Foreigners are paying to use them so clean up after them, just as hotel staff clean up after their guests leave. It's a business. Who is causing the pollution is irrelevant. Cleaner beaches = happier tourists.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Beaches aside, it's very hard to find a public trash can in any Thai city.
I think most of us are used to having trash cans on the street, coupled with the threat of fines if you get caught discarding your garbage in the road.

It's another one of those mindsets that have to change on a basic level before anything gets better

If they'd have bins, they'd empty them behind the bushes.

Thailand has probably missed the BIG opportunity for reasons best not gone into.

But clean your country for **** instead of bike for **** would have probably raised much more social awareness and would have been picked by schools etc.

As said Probably too late now

Good that people, whether Thais or foreigners, use their initiative and collect rubbish from the beaches. Educating the public is part of dealing with this problem but also such things as improved facilities for rubbish collection and disposal and less use of plastic bags can help. But underlying the issue is the level of demand from relatively wealthy visitors ( yes, you and me) for products and services (eg beer bottles, snack packets) and local infrastructure that cannot deal with the excess rubbish. This is not unique to Thailand and should not be a matter of `shame` but instead a call for action.

Sitting on a train once a Thai man and his son were eating the usual junk in plastic bags sold by train vendors.

When finished the father tossed an empty water bottle out the window into farming land that was well irrigated. I just stared at him . He didnt throw the other crap out or atleast i didnt see him do it.

His adult son today is probably a pig just like papa.

22 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

On my local beach, a Thai lady from the village cleans a good stretch of obvious litter every day. My wife and I often speak to her. On rough days when it is stormy she cleans a frontal stretch of the pedestrian esplanade surrounding the local reservoir lake. Locals rod fishing from there frequently leave trash despite litter bins being provided.

of doubtful veracity otherwise it would be published widely around the country just like the every couple of months a taxi driver or other random does something honest for a change instead of 'thai' .

though the taxi driver thing is probably staged to demonstrate to foreigners that thailand is different to other corrupt nations with dictators in power

2 hours ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Good that people, whether Thais or foreigners, use their initiative and collect rubbish from the beaches. Educating the public is part of dealing with this problem but also such things as improved facilities for rubbish collection and disposal and less use of plastic bags can help. But underlying the issue is the level of demand from relatively wealthy visitors ( yes, you and me) for products and services (eg beer bottles, snack packets) and local infrastructure that cannot deal with the excess rubbish. This is not unique to Thailand and should not be a matter of `shame` but instead a call for action.

you a FOB yeah? lack of facilities thailand does not care

the big bkk park has a lack of bins in view, but near the playground their is a whole city of unused bins stacked up all sorts of different colours for recycling, been sitting their for at least 5 years unused

probably as likely to be a case of not realising the bins also need to be installed as your theory on lack of facilities

15 hours ago, Jadam said:

This kind of ignorant attitude and finger pointing is exactly why it will never stop.  "Who cares if I throw my rubbish on the ground?  Everyone else does it!  Look, there's garbage all over the place!"

And yes, there are lazy idiots in every country throwing trash on the ground and in the rivers.

I remember the homeless bloke in london grabbing the tourist who had just chucked a bag on the floor outside the underground station,

grabbed the tourist walked them to the litter and told him your in london now you put this stuff in the bins, you are in london

homeless guy then picks up litter and puts it in bin to show tourist while shouting, look it goes in the bin

you are in london now , you can't do that stuff here

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 3:00 PM, stud858 said:

Nothing to do with it. Everyone will do what they want. It's up to city Hall to ensure the town is tidy. It's as if nobody is assigned to the task at all. 

Yes City Hall must provide more recycle boxes... Thais should be taught plastic and glass should be together..in our complex it is $ for tenant whom organized empty rice bags for empty beer bottles etc.. in Canada the deposit for a can or bottle is $0.10 or 2.5 baht... a sum of money that will surely not be wasted in dump... even Canadians whom have limited income make tax free money...finding a dime..it is worth it. Pattaya city did provide blue plastic barrels for a cost to building complexes and garbage did build up and was emptied..now with less blue barrels garbage everything from glass to paper dumped in or outside barrels..disgusting site! My mental disturbed neighbor is posting writings on my door step of vandalism which are bird droppings...same fat ass 150 kg whom drives his scooter and tosses garbage bags as he drives! Well so much WE could do but until Government bodies want input and solutions to garbage it will remain Amazing Thailand!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 2:04 PM, webfact said:

Thais have hit back on Facebook that they are solely to blame for messing up Thai beaches. 

Who blames Thais solely for the trash problem?  Anyone with the ability to think logically understands that it's everyone who creates the problems.  However, the trash that washes up on the beaches are definitely a predominately Thai problem as that trash originates from aquifers feeding into the seas, industrial areas, klongs, as well as fishing boats and other fleets. 
The trash on or well above the tide line are most likely a product of whoever predominately uses the beach areas whether Thai or foreigners. 
And Thais, who simply can not lose face, are more than likely to have to throw the majority of blame on foreigners because that is the face of unrequited nationalism and xenophobia.  Thais can't face their own problems or self-criticize when there is a able-bodied patsy who is available to blame.  Foreigners fit the bill. 

On 10/19/2018 at 3:11 AM, Cereal said:

What Thailand should do is jettison the great Chinese tourism ideal and get the Japanese to come in droves. They are super clean, super polite and friendly. Remember the Japanese staying after a World Cup losing game to clean the stadium? That is the norm. I've personally experienced their cleanliness in my previous workplace every single time I had to deal with them.

I usually spend my Decembers/January's in Hawaii, tons of Japanese, teach their kids to pick up trash on the street and beaches thats not even theirs..........I have see Americans throw trash right next to the half empty trash cans on Sundays on Waikiki Beach.   Thailand was a popular place with the Japanese in the eighties and nineties, they have found other places to go where they are respected and not ripped off in Jewelry, and Karaoke Bar scams.  Prices are higher in Hawaii for everything, but at least they are not ripped off with buying junk...............

Edited by TunnelRat69

One explanation is to count the number of trash cans anywhere in Thailand. I counted while walking from Sukhumvit Soi 19 to 3. THREE at the most and none for separating waste. Tree pots along the road with plastic bags and bottles.

In Rayong, Mae Rampheung beach has plastic trash cans on the road but none on the beach as that is forbidden by the government arm that controls beaches.