TM 30 Question, Pattaya

I have an O-A visa from Washington DC. My visa will expire next year in March 29, 2019 (not extension). I have entered Thailand in 2018 a total of eight times. I always book a few days in a Bangkok hotel before arriving in Thailand. I am right now in Lisbon and will be arriving in Thailand on 21st (coming Sunday). I have already booked a hotel in Bangkok for one week. All my prior arrival cards have hotel addresses. I have never stayed more than 90 days (maximum two months), so I have never reported my addresses to the immigration (TM 47). 

Now my girl friend who lives in Pattaya has rented a condo in Jomiten for me and insist I stay in Pattaya (she already has a house in Bang Lamung but I won't be staying with her). I will sign the lease for the condo on 30th of this month. Do I have to submit TM 30 within 24 hours? What I tell the agent (I think she talked to the agent not the owner) regarding TM 30 when I sign the lease and how do I make sure she submits a TM 30? 

Unless you will be doing something at immigration during your stay I would not worry about doing a TM30 form. 

In reality the agent or owner should be the ones doing the report. All you can do is make sure they are aware it should be done.

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are you staying for more than 90 days this time ?

I am not sure. The lease of the condo is for one year. So next time I enter Thailand, I will be reporting the condo address in my arrival card. If I stay for 90-day, I will be reporting my TM47 at Pattaya. And there is the issue of extension of stay after March, 2020. Just wanted to make sure that everything is done properly prior to that. 

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I am not sure. The lease of the condo is for one year. So next time I enter Thailand, I will be reporting the condo address in my arrival card. If I stay for 90-day, I will be reporting my TM47 at Pattaya. And there is the issue of extension of stay after March, 2020. Just wanted to make sure that everything is done properly prior to that. 

Like ubonjoe mentions, if you need to do anything at immigration like a 90 day report then you need to make sure the landlord or whoever is deemed 'housemaster' files the TM30 document. When you arrive your address is already registered for you so you're good for the first 90 days.

It's not initially your problem if the landlord doesn't file a TM30, not until you want a 90 day report, at which point they can and probably will refuse to do it if the TM30 is not filed.

Anyone can be a housemaster, I got my girlfriend to do this role when I last moved house. I believe it's easier to have a Thai do it than do it yourself. It doesn't need to be the owner of the house/apartment, etc.

Tell them about the potential fine for not registering a foreigner, if the person renting to you doesn't believe you then take out your cellphone and dial '1111', this is the government helpline, ask to speak to someone who speaks English and ask them to explain to the owner of the house why they must do this TM30 for you, then hand the phone over to the landlord and have a Thai explain it for you.

I have found 1111 to be very helpful in the past. Although this helpline seems to have been launched or maybe relaunched in 2015, I've used it while I lived in Bangkok and that was before 2012, maybe as long ago as 2010.

• Like 2

As it stands now, I will be staying for 90-day this time. Plan to visit USA in January and come back in March before my O-A expires to get an extra year from the O-A visa. So it seems, I have to file a Notification of staying.  As UKrules mentioned, anybody can file a TM30. Can I file it myself or ask my girl friend to file one for me even though she does not live with me? I would ask the condo management first if they have already filed it or not before doing it myself. 

With all the horror stories of people being denied entry, random passport check (followed by urine tests) on the streets, people being fined, blacklisted, etc. I want to make everything legit to avoid future issues. 

OMG, what happened to my Thailand of early 2000s when I could spend all night in a Sukumvit road side bar and listen to music, never carried passport with me, or worried about TM30. 

Edited by onera1961

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Can I file it myself

In most cases in most offices, yes - but each office makes up its own rules. Jomtien has been allowing self-reporting, but some reports indicate they want to see more docs now than in the past. 

If you can get copies of the ID and Housebook of the owner, the Housebook and Chanote of your residence (all signed by the owner) - those plus a copy of your rental-contract would have all bases covered. 

Less could work - that is the worst-case list.  I'd start with contract + owner's id signed-copy + housebook of the rental signed-copy, and see if that is enough.  Perhaps someone who has done this in the last week can report on the current version of the varying rules.

or ask my girl friend to file one for me even though she does not live with me? 

I think this would only work if you were renting from her - and they could ask for proof she owns the place - or proof she is in-turn renting from someone else, and then proof they own the place.

I would ask the condo management first if they have already filed it or not before doing it myself. 

If condo-mgmt can do this online, that is By Far the best option.  Do try to get a printout of the registration - maybe tip them for this (or they could have a standard-fee).