Conductress dead, many injured as tour bus hits pillar of new Korat motorway

Jonathan Fairfield

7.jpg

Image: TNA

One woman died and many suffered injuries when a tour bus bound for Panomprai from Bangkok collided with a support pillar for the under construction motorway from the capital to Korat. 

The bus - from the Sahaphan Roi Et Tour Company - had sideswiped a four door pick-up and lost control. 

The accident happened at KM marker 81 on the Friendship Highway (MItraphap). 

Dead at the scene was employee 45 year old Kingdao Thepphithak.

Driver Anucha Patong, 48, was one of four serious injuries. Many of the 25 passengers were taken to Krung Thep Pak Chong hospital after the crash last night, reported Thai Rath.

Source: Thairath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-20

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Conductress of what ? Not that bus , for sure ..

"Driver Anucha Patong, 48, was one of four serious injuries "

Brakes failed? Brain failed ? or both ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

RIP the Lady, just doing her job no doubt but how many of the injured were wearing seat belts ?  I've travelled many times on full Thai Buses, sometimes over great distance and there have been many occasions when only me and my wife have been wearing seat belts, the Thai's just don't care about safety.

Would take a fair size bet on the the driver of the Bus going way too fast as well; they just can't keep their foot off the throttle !

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

I'm living in Thailand since 12 years;

I never saw a conductress in a big bus in Thailand .

Use a Bell bus from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya to see them.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

And in this article it is written the driver, a man ,  was not the conductress , a woman I guess ?

All the ones I've been on have them,BKK to phetchebun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I would of thought a bus or vehicle of that size side swiping a pickup, would of sent the pickup flying.  Something don't smell right.

The Thai double height buses are made locally from very lightweight (cheap) materials with all the weight (engine) at the rear. The steering is very light and a bit floppy. It's not like hitting one of the earth moving lorries.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

The Thai double height buses are made locally from very lightweight (cheap) materials with all the weight (engine) at the rear. The steering is very light and a bit floppy. It's not like hitting one of the earth moving lorries.

Of course you must have driven quite a few of those Thai double deckers, how else would you know this.

Edited by janclaes47
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I would of thought a bus or vehicle of that size side swiping a pickup, would of sent the pickup flying.

The bus went skidding on wet road more likely as a result of attempted evasive action than due to the sideswiping impact from pikcup proper.

Edited by MaksimMislavsky

18 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

And in this article it is written the driver, a man ,  was not the conductress , a woman I guess ?

Been here the same amount of time as you and made dozens of Bus trips; every one had a Conductress, in some cases even two !

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My pickup was hit by one of these buses while I was stopped at traffic lights (new driver cut the corner).

My old pickup, rocked slightly and I received a small dent in my bumper, the bus lost it's whole side.

I couldn't believe the damage he managed to do to his bus.

They had to call for a replacement bus, I drove home and never bothered to repair the dent.

And they paid you how much ?

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

RIP the Lady, just doing her job no doubt but how many of the injured were wearing seat belts ?  I've travelled many times on full Thai Buses, sometimes over great distance and there have been many occasions when only me and my wife have been wearing seat belts, the Thai's just don't care about safety.

Would take a fair size bet on the the driver of the Bus going way too fast as well; they just can't keep their foot off the throttle !

"...they just can't keep their foot off the throttle !"

Wouldn't even get out of the terminus without some throttle.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, toenail said:

I have ridden these “blue & white” buses from the Roi-et province to BKK and the drivers have been decent. I wonder if the heavy rain storm had something to do with the brakes failing? 

There's no claim that the brakes failed, there is a factual report that the bus sideswiped a pickup and that caused the crash.  It's all in the OP.

• Like 2