Conductress dead, many injured as tour bus hits pillar of new Korat motorway

Jonathan Fairfield

37 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Been here the same amount of time as you and made dozens of Bus trips; every one had a Conductress, in some cases even two !

No, no and no; an or two "hostess/stewardess" yes but not a conductress ;

The meaning of the words is important if we want to understand us .

• Confused 2

Referring to my earlier post - a Conductress is a lady who goes around the bus issuing tickets to fare paying passengers. A man doing the same job is a Conductor. As far as I know tickets are not issued on long distance Thai buses as they have to be booked in advance. Conductor/Conductress also relate to orchestras. Also conductor to electricity.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

20 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Referring to my earlier post - a Conductress is a lady who goes around the bus issuing tickets to fare paying passengers. A man doing the same job is a Conductor. As far as I know tickets are not issued on long distance Thai buses as they have to be booked in advance. Conductor/Conductress also relate to orchestras. Also conductor to electricity.

A driver can be also a chauffeur; this french word is used in thai language .

So we had a " journalist " who doesn't know which real word to employ for the driver and the hostess ( one or more ) 

I went to many countries all over this world during more than 50 years ( I'm 70 old );

In China, we have female drivers in big buses;

never went to North America, but I saw female drivers ( big trucks and coaches ) on movies

in all europeans countries we can find female drivers on big trucks and coaches and lign buses ;

but I repeat, I never saw a female driver in big coaches in Thailand ;

no need to be inside the bus to know about that

maybe there are a few driving some lign buses inside Bangkok ; maybe because I'm not sure.

21 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Conductress of what ? Not that bus , for sure ..

"Driver Anucha Patong, 48, was one of four serious injuries "

Brakes failed? Brain failed ? or both ?

Many long distance buses employ a "stewardess" on board.

Conductress just the wrong word.

Asleep at the wheel would be my guess. 

21 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I'm living in Thailand since 12 years;

I never saw a conductress in a big bus in Thailand .

And in this article it is written the driver, a man ,  was not the conductress , a woman I guess ?

I've travelled on Thai buses several times and each time there was a conductress (or hostess if you like). That was in my first six months here, my twelve years since, I've never gone near a Thai bus. Knowledge is a useful thing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Actually you are wrong, many of these inter city tour buses have company conductresses !!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

You've obviously never been on a long distance bus in Thailand, where they have a conductress to hand our drinks and snacks.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, robsamui said:

I regularly take long distance buses. It is not compulsory to buy a ticket to board the bus, and all along the route, passengers are getting on and off, and the newcomers are issued tickets from the conductress. This is her sole function - checking existing tickets and issuing new ones.

On the other hand these were all government sponsored buses. I've never taken a private VIP express or anything similar. I imagine that something like this might well have all the tickets booked and sold in advance, contain probably a working toilet, and even sell drinks and snacks - hence the wandering lady that this poster has referred to as a 'hostess'. But as far as I'm concerned, she's the ticket-lady, as that's all I've ever seen these women do.

Obviously the services offered are totally inconsistent. From my local bus station in the north east, various companies are contracted to operate the Government sponsored day/night services to Bangkok and Pattaya/Rayong and tickets are always purchased IN ADVANCE. When you board the bus, the lady (or young man) checks your ticket against a computer print-out. Drinks and snacks are not sold - they are provided FREE on all services. Once the services have left our area of Isaan there are no more passengers boarding en route south. It is obvious there are different arrangements for passengers travelling from the south to Bangkok etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Obviously the services offered are totally inconsistent. From my local bus station in the north east, various companies are contracted to operate the Government sponsored day/night services to Bangkok and Pattaya/Rayong and tickets are always purchased IN ADVANCE. When you board the bus, the lady (or young man) checks your ticket against a computer print-out. Drinks and snacks are not sold - they are provided FREE on all services. Once the services have left our area of Isaan there are no more passengers boarding en route south. It is obvious there are different arrangements for passengers travelling from the south to Bangkok etc.

That explains it! As you say, it's totally the opposite out of Isaan. But then Isaan is unlike anything else in Thailand, anyway ????

Edited by robsamui

2 minutes ago, robsamui said:

That explains it! As you say, it's totally the opposite out of Isaan. But then Isaan is unlike anything else in Thailand, anyway ????

Absolutely true. What makes this part of Thailand beautiful and unique is that it was once part of Laos - hence the different culture, food, music and language. Similar situation over in the North West (Lanna)  where there is a strong influence from Burma/Myanmar

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Not a conductress , an hostess or stewardess;

please, please if you have a problem  with the definition of certain words, use a dictionary ;

a conductress is a woman who drive a vehicle .

Where I come from, a conductor(ess) is there to attend the passengers. The person who drives the bus is called a driver. Which dictionary says a conductress is a driver, please? Just so that I know you aren't making it up.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Not a conductress , an hostess or stewardess;

please, please if you have a problem  with the definition of certain words, use a dictionary ;

a conductress is a woman who drive a vehicle .

Left is conductor right is engineer or driver.  A conductor (American and Canadian English) or guard (Commonwealth English) is a train crew member responsible for operational and safety duties that do not involve actual operation of the train.

cond1.jpg

train dr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 5:40 PM, Assurancetourix said:

Would you like to read the OP once again?

She was a conductress on the bus. Many inter provincial buses have a 2 person crew.

The bus - from the Sahaphan Roi Et Tour Company - had sideswiped a four door pick-up and lost control. 

On 10/20/2018 at 6:46 PM, Assurancetourix said:

I'm living in Thailand since 12 years;

I never saw a conductress in a big bus in Thailand .

And in this article it is written the driver, a man ,  was not the conductress , a woman I guess ?

I have been living in Thailand for 17 years not that means anything.

Just because you have never seen a conductress doesn't mean that there are none.

The Transport Company buses that I take from the big village to BKK ALWAYS have a 2 person crew. The driver is always a man and the conductor can be male or female. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My pickup was hit by one of these buses while I was stopped at traffic lights (new driver cut the corner).

My old pickup, rocked slightly and I received a small dent in my bumper, the bus lost it's whole side.

I couldn't believe the damage he managed to do to his bus.

They had to call for a replacement bus, I drove home and never bothered to repair the dent.

so you were driving a humvee

travelling back from udon to pattaya 3 girls got on - not in udon - and every time we stopped at a station they were let off and rejoined after we left station - they were still on the bus at pattaya so probably going to rayong. ps. i think from bkk we were stopping and picking up and setting down passengers all along this did not require the girls to get off