Prayut says pets need to be registered but impact on people must be minimised

Jonathan Fairfield

By The Nation

d.jpg

File photo

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Saturday that pets will need to be registered to control the spread of rabies but his government would ensure that there would be minimal impact on pet owners.

Prayut was speaking to reporters at Don Mueang military airport on his return from the 12th Asia-Europe Summit in Brussels.

The PM said the government will consider whether it would be sufficient to register pets without embedding microchips. He said the government would find measures for pet registrations that would not cause a financial burden on pet owners.

Earlier, the government unveiled a plan to require owners to pay a registration fee of Bt450 per pet but the bill was withdrawn from the National Legislative Assembly following a public outcry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30356836

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-20
  • Like 1

Here we go again: All words but there will be no action or accountability. Thais know accountability will be enforced on pet owners. - Just like the reason they drive irresponsibly, no one will stop them ( except a fatal accident). ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Any trip to any Thai village anywhere would demonstrate that this idea is complete pie in the sky.

Not to mention a stroll down any soi in any Thai city... Mutts galore

• Like 1

We always had are dogs and cats registered, but for people who clean up the misdeeds of others by taking in strays, they should not be penalized.   Mind you, this government only seems successful in settling beech chair disputes and crackdown on foreigners. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Saturday that pets will need to be registered to control the spread of rabies

Wait a minute...

Step 1: register pets

Step 2: ???

Step 3: the spread of rabies is under control

I am interested in hearing more about step 2, because it is quite hard to link steps 1 and 3 together.

Unfortunately the reporter could not be bothered to ask and they just ran with the story... as always more questions than answers.

By the way, I got one myself also: I propose everybody in Thailand takes a picture of their pet so a cheap cure for cancer will be available within 3 years. How about that one mister Prayut?

Edited by Bob12345

21 hours ago, Longcut said:

What happens if someone accidentally eats a registered dog?

Or even hits and kills one whilst driving!

Unfortunately here in rural Isaan so called "pets" wander the countryside along with the feral ones. Almost an impossibility to register them and to be honest I am sure most "pet" owners here would not register them.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

My girlfriend lives in Ubon, her father has six dogs, three bitches, the bitches are constantly with pup. He can’t feed them all, they are always out scavenging for food. Unless the government mean business about solving the problem they should just shut up.

just as the stupid announcements about moped/motorbike/vehicle drivers, If you want to see road deaths cut. Implement some sort of policy. Talk is cheap..

On 10/20/2018 at 4:44 PM, Vacuum said:

If it had a microchip, there's a chance that the person could be tracked by the government.

For, I believe, approximately 51 hours (men, 47 for women)!

I had to look that up - That Visa really is a boon for sparking us earnest seekers after knowledge...

It's incredibly easy and would create a huge number of jobs in the process, as with everything enforcement would be key. A quick burst of enthusiam now which will fizzle like a damp firework in rainy November.....
The whole thing of not culling animals here makes this a non starter...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Only because someone mentioned it. Electric outages. Most of you are aware you can call 1129 PEA and report outages. In the village where I live it’s like the poster said a mouse farts and out it goes. 

Most Village people won't call as their used to it. Call once the ask a few questions location, how long the outage etc. You get an sms a team is checking and it not an all day wait as before. Couple hours up and running. 

Good thing Ong is after first call they’ve got your information......

Great system.......

On 10/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Ok, I’m confused now, are we on the third or fourth flip flop on this policy now? 

Heck, I don’t even know if we are on a flip or a flop...

• Confused 1