Advice Re Moving To Pattaya Area

sianj

I live next to satit school, my daughter has been going there since 2yrs old ,now 5yrs.the nursery is great,and the school last year got rid of the old principal, and the kids are always happy.all the schools have home pick ups to and from schools,at extra cost,my daughter is now in kindi 3 at 22,000bt a term [2 terms in thailand ]

they teach chinese thai,english.

you can get a live in house keeper from 3000 to 6000bt a month to help with the kids,or on a daily basis.

sartahip is mainly allnavy compounds and if you are not thai the good beaches are hard to access.

get on the net [places for rent pattaya thailand ]and check out whats around,there are many nice housing villages ,and places with big condos,it will give you an idea,

there are many sports and hobbys here in pattaya,if you are into them.

the best beaches are ban ampur and bang suray,with nice condos around there as well,about 10 ks out of pattaya,the beaches are mainly flat and safe.

My mrs is pregnant again and i thought of going back to australia,but its cheaper to live here and i am settled here. and it wont be long before thekids will be mountain biking,sailing ,wundsurfing, etc ,there is heaps to do if you have time and want to do it.

good luck

cat

GH / Thaihome - Sorry chaps, I think you were right.
No apology needed, though the good grace by which it is given is happily noted.
Any chance of helping to get me a few interviews?

I'm sure you'll appreciate the difficulty of giving recommendations to stangers. For all sorts of reasons it's seldom a good idea. But I do wish you well.

A point to note is that the exapt deals are very rarely given to locally hired staff. And that, in the O&G business, assignments to Thailand are often reserved as a reward for staff who have previously done service in some rather less pleasent locations.

GH / Thaihome - Sorry chaps, I think you were right.
No apology needed, though the good grace by which it is given is happily noted.
Any chance of helping to get me a few interviews?
I'm sure you'll appreciate the difficulty of giving recommendations to stangers. For all sorts of reasons it's seldom a good idea. But I do wish you well.

A point to note is that the exapt deals are very rarely given to locally hired staff. And that, in the O&G business, assignments to Thailand are often reserved as a reward for staff who have previously done service in some rather less pleasent locations.

Where has this fascinating fact come from ?

GH / Thaihome - Sorry chaps, I think you were right. Any chance of helping to get me a few interviews?

Most people are assigned to overseas jobs after working in home country offices for some period of time. Rarely are people hired at overseas locations. In Thailand, and other SEA countries for that matter, actually living in the country reduces your chances for getting a full package deal to almost zero. If hired, it would be on contract as what is called a "local expat" which has much reduced (if any) allowances and often less pay.

One downside to MNC expat lifestyle is you are subject to assignment anywhere and the next one after Thailand could be a camp in the middle of Saudi Arabia or Siberia. Or even worse back to the home office. :o

TH

Where has this fascinating fact come from ?

Why is it so hard to believe?

I can assure you that whenever my manager and I discuss assignments to the less desirable locations we work in, part of the discussion includes the rewards package, and the rewards extend to 'if I do this nasty job, I expect to have a choice of better locations in the future'.

Simple good management from both sides of the desk.

O&G = Oil and Gas

Edited by GuestHouse

Pattaya is a great place to bring up a young family. You have just about everything you need for a Western lifestyle and it is still fairly laid back.

Life on an Estate east of Sukhumvit is entirely differant from living in downtown Pattaya. For me there is a real sense of community.

As for the crime aspect. It is no worse than any large city and all that is required to avoid any trouble is a bit of common sense.

As mentioned Sattahip is a nice area but it does not have the same facillities as Pattaya and i think you would very quickly get sick and tired of travelling to Pattaya just to do essential things.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I as well am in the process of relocating to Thailand from the States, I'm married to a Thai and we have two small daughters. I've been to Thailand many, many times as well as Pattaya, I do enjoy myself there but after about a week I start getting pretty bored. Like some of the other posters have said IMHO Pattaya is a pretty dirty town with many undesirable residents and tourists. I agree that living there and vacationing are two different worlds, however for the price of housing, cost of living and the fact that you're always looked at like an ATM machine I've decided to make my move to Korat, also bored after a week, but I dare think what 50k baht per month would rent. Just seems like a better option for my family. I'm not on a cush expart package, rather self employed. We currently live in Southern California, rent is $4,500.00 per month...All my work is done over the phone and computer so the move makes a lot of sense for us. I can work half the hours and live twice the amount better!