Hernia repair

jamden

Two years ago I was operated on my right Hernia at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai.

The surgeon was Mrs. Dr. Arisada who was joined during the surgery with another surgeon from CMU; I didn't know

his name and didn't meet him. Everything went OK, and I am feeling fine,

My insurance paid, thus I don't recall the cost.

Had a right inguinal fixed at RAM Hospital in March of 2016.  Total cost was 25, 540 and I was rather happy with the service.  If I recall right, I was in about 9AM and went home about 5PM (and, if I recall right, they were suggesting I could/should stay overnight but I elected to go home).  No complications, scar became invisible within a year.  

I also had a right inguinal fixed at RAM hospital, in 2012, from memory. I did stay in overnight which might have added substantially to the bill.  I paid a lot more than 25,540 (original quote was 60,000 but I paid less than that, maybe 50,000 from memory), and if i were to do it again, I would get a quote from another surgeon and think about doing it somewhere else besides RAM. 

27 minutes ago, dundas said:

I also had a right inguinal fixed at RAM hospital, in 2012, from memory. I did stay in overnight which might have added substantially to the bill.  I paid a lot more than 25,540 (original quote was 60,000 but I paid less than that, maybe 50,000 from memory), and if i were to do it again, I would get a quote from another surgeon and think about doing it somewhere else besides RAM. 

Seems easy to drop a <deleted> by going to the wrong hospital as regards prices.????

Can’t help with CM, but I had a left inguinal fixed in 2015 early July at a private hospital in Sakhon Nakhon and paid 27500. Private room, staff very friendly. I was there for 4 days due to a week pulse after the surgery for observation. Recovered fine and no problems since.

By no means get a mesh implant. Had one done at Bumrungrad in 2013 and tore open within a year to the point where my bowels were poking out. Went to BHP Pattaya and requested old tech where your sewn together inside and no possibility of rivets coming out and screwing you up. BTW , my tissue grew through the mesh and was not extractable. Don't let a Dr or a hospital talk you into mesh. Very high frequency of failure. You'll end up going back for an old tech repair.

Hello  I had one done at  The RAJAVEJ CHIANGMAI HOSPITAL JULY 2018. this was a second one as the first had broken out again after 7 years ,second hernia ops are more difficult to do and bigger opening needed to scrape the old one away. also i had high blood pressure . but it went very well . cost 57 000 baht    Regards William.  

Just now, nervona81732 said:

By no means get a mesh implant. Had one done at Bumrungrad in 2013 and tore open within a year to the point where my bowels were poking out. Went to BHP Pattaya and requested old tech where your sewn together inside and no possibility of rivets coming out and screwing you up. BTW , my tissue grew through the mesh and was not extractable. Don't let a Dr or a hospital talk you into mesh. Very high frequency of failure. You'll end up going back for an old tech repair.

Had mesh procedure for hiatus hernia in 2010 - doctor suggested 2 days post op in hopsital, I took 4 due to the pain when moving (i lived alone at the time, so no help at home when trying to get out of bed).  Followed doctors advice - lift nothing over 2kgs in weight for 4-6 weeks post op, and then never more than 20kgs after that.  Have had no problems post op.

Hopefully the OP gets the answers they seek here as to how much they can expect to pay.

It's not really a controversial or individual specific question.

There is plenty of reliable, peer reviewed information/data on the rest of the internet as to the success rates of different types of surgery.

I had a herniated umbilicus treated at BHP, was only in overnight but it still cost me £3500, as far as i know it was a mesh job, not had any problems so far and that was back in early 2015.

I have just dug out the bill, in baht it was 152,469, there are 21 items on the bill, I had no insurance but fortunately my credit card covered it, in BPH you pay for the lot. but I must add that since that episode I have not had any major accidents or infections/health problems so whilst I have no insurance - Too old now anyway, I have spent far less personally on hospital treatment than I would have paid in insurance premiums.

I did investigate while still in my late 50's, health insurance with a well known provider that begins with the 2nd letter of the alphabet, the very nice lady politely informed me that should I take up their cover I would not be covered for heart attack or stroke due to the fact that I had high blood pressure & I smoked (at that time) I told her those were my main concerns and therefore we could terminate the conversation there & then.

Bloody rip off merchants.  

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I had a herniated umbilicus treated at BHP, was only in overnight but it still cost me £3500, as far as i know it was a mesh job, not had any problems so far and that was back in early 2015.

I have just dug out the bill, in baht it was 152,469, there are 21 items on the bill, I had no insurance but fortunately my credit card covered it, in BPH you pay for the lot. but I must add that since that episode I have not had any major accidents or infections/health problems so whilst I have no insurance - Too old now anyway, I have spent far less personally on hospital treatment than I would have paid in insurance premiums.

I did investigate while still in my late 50's, health insurance with a well known provider that begins with the 2nd letter of the alphabet, the very nice lady politely informed me that should I take up their cover I would not be covered for heart attack or stroke due to the fact that I had high blood pressure & I smoked (at that time) I told her those were my main concerns and therefore we could terminate the conversation there & then.

Bloody rip off merchants.  

The modern way is to repair your hernia by   arthroscopic surgery.  They insert metal springs.  You can hit the health club in a few weeks and not worry about any future problems.

2 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

The modern way is to repair your hernia by   arthroscopic surgery.  They insert metal springs.  You can hit the health club in a few weeks and not worry about any future problems.

Totally unaware of that procedure & at the time I was in agony, I had had the hernia for many many years prior to coming here and had a belly button the size of half a golf ball, one morning as I got out of bed it just went, I had no option but to put myself at their mercy, now it looks like a normal tummy button ???? For which I am grateful.

11 hours ago, amse said:

My Burmese house keepers husband had hernia repair her in Phuket at the government hospital, she said was 30,000baht and after 2 months, he's still laid up.

My friend in holland had 3 times a hernia...he was stupid every time and not taking care of his back...

The 3rd time after surgery he was forced to walk the next day...it worked and all is still good for him..seems normal these days to let the patient walk next day.

11 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Rubbish! Mesh repair has been the standard for decades. Rivets coming out???

14 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Must look a bit dodgy when you are in your swimming trunks ? ????

Joking aside , going through airport security must set off the scanner beeper ?

I had the right  inguinal hernia repaired with mesh and under a local anesthetic and on the way home after 2 hours . Gave me problems for up to a year and occasionally get the odd twinge . Operation free under the NHS and a 4 week wait . Spoken to others and recovery times vary a lot . Have a friend who had the operation up here near Surin at a government hospital and he was up and about as normal the next day for a low cost .

Hello Jamden.
I'm not in CM so have no data for there.  I'm in the deepest darkest part of Issan so when I got my inguinal hernia I asked the surgeon who performed my hip replacement surgery at Phya Thai 2 Hospital in BKK for a referral.  Needless to say I was and continue to be very happy with my experience at Phya Thai with this Doctor.  He referred me to Dr. Liang at Phya Thai (naturally), and I had my hernia repair at Phya Thai.
It seems that, reading the responses to your inquiry, that experiences with this as in most things in LoS  varies considerably between individuals, as a result of many factors, age and location being the most controlling IMHO.
To provide a measure of the variability in experience and cost I will share with you my data.
I was diagnosed with a right inguinal hernia which was advised to be repaired with open surgery using a mesh to provide strain-free healing.  With this I concurred.  Google reports that the stats for laparoscopy, mesh, and sewn-up surgery in terms of the incidence of post-surgical pain and complications are about the same.  Laparoscopy however is twice the cost here in LoS. Age is also a factor in the decision.  The surgeon advised mesh surgery due to my age (68).  With the other type of open surgery, older patients generally do not do so well.
Because of my age and other conditions (long-standing 25 year neuropathy, marginal kidney function), I had to undergo a series of tests to determine my ability to survive general anaesthesia. These tests cost approx 20K.  The estimate for the operation and hospital stay (2 nights) was 120-150K, and on that basis we proceeded.
During the operation it was discovered that I had two hernias, both on the right side, one a direct type and the other an indirect type.  This type of condition is very difficult to diagnose prior to operating.  The result was that the surgery took longer, but I needed no additional blood and did not need to recover in the ICU, thankfully.  But I did need to stay 3 nights in hospital. The cost for the hospital was approx 170K.
The operation was in early July 2018 and so far I've had absolutely no problems with it.  I was told to take it easy for the first two months but after that could resume normal activities.
I hope this gives you some additional data points which may be helpful.
Cheers, UW.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 11:14 PM, superal said:

Must look a bit dodgy when you are in your swimming trunks ? ????

Joking aside , going through airport security must set off the scanner beeper ?

I had the right  inguinal hernia repaired with mesh and under a local anesthetic and on the way home after 2 hours . Gave me problems for up to a year and occasionally get the odd twinge . Operation free under the NHS and a 4 week wait . Spoken to others and recovery times vary a lot . Have a friend who had the operation up here near Surin at a government hospital and he was up and about as normal the next day for a low cost .

Can you find out the details of your friend's operation, if it was open or laparoscopic and if he had mesh put in? Thanks

I think that the results of a hernia operation depend on the skills , knowledge and experience of the surgeon . Ideally a surgeon who is regularly doing hernia ops .  Quite important because there are man tubes in the area for an inguinal op plus if the mesh fails because of poor surgery a repair is not easy . Do your searching for a regular hernia surgeon and not one who is  unfamiliar with the procedure or maybe does it once a year etc

I had a left inguinal hernia 'open' operation at Chiang Mai Ram hospital about 2 years ago. Cost was 50,000THB but may have been based on my request for a specific surgeon. Dr. Trichak Sandhu. I was admitted at 9am or so and out a few hours later. No general anaesthesia required, just partial epidural. It was uncomfortable during the operation but no real pain. The anaesthesiologist was very patient and stayed there chatting during the whole op which helped quite a bit. 3 days later and I was walking normally. I think some insurance packages will only cover 'inpatient' procedures so it might be worthwhile to stay the night and get it covered. I had no insurance at the time and didn't fancy sleeping at the hospital. 

• 4 months later...

Have not had the op yet...but have just received a quote of 300,000 ~ 400,000 baht for a small sliding Hiatal hernia repair at Chiang Mai Ram.   This sounds astronomical compared to the prices quoted above for Inguinal hernias. I understand the operation is possibly more complicated, but the price difference is mind blowing. The surgeon kindly suggested that I have the operation done at a government hospital for half the price, and he would still be the operating surgeon. I don't have health insurance.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:26 AM, clayto58 said:

Just had op in Sriracha Queen Hospital, near Pattaya,  Private room 2 days ,   cost 25,000b. all went ok. Not Chiang Mai, but handy to know price. 

The hospital is less than 6 miles from U Tapao airport,  which has daily direct flights to CM.  No brainer by the sound of it.   

2 hours ago, Andre Undavitch said:

Have not had the op yet...but have just received a quote of 300,000 ~ 400,000 baht for a small sliding Hiatal hernia repair at Chiang Mai Ram.   This sounds astronomical compared to the prices quoted above for Inguinal hernias. I understand the operation is possibly more complicated, but the price difference is mind blowing. The surgeon kindly suggested that I have the operation done at a government hospital for half the price, and he would still be the operating surgeon. I don't have health insurance.

Quite possibly you misunderstood what you were told regarding price, by the sound of it.

Also, you can't pick and choose surgeons at government hospitals. You get who is assigned.

Archived