Where to start?

Hi, I found this site while investigating the logistics of living in Thailand and I was looking for a FAQ section where I might find answers to all the same old questions? Can anyone point me to such a thing? ie who can move there, for how long, what are the limitations on working, buying property, what other considerations etc?

TIA

Ok I'll ask away and hopefully someone can answer. I'm Australian looking to take a year off somewhere sunny and relaxed and Thailand is the obvious choice since I've been there 1/2 a dozen times and absolutely love it. I'm past the sex/drugs/party/charity/jetski hire stage and am well traveled so aware of most tourist traps

Questions:

1. What type of visa do I need to stay long term?

2. Is their any tricks to getting different types of visas?

3. Based on above how long does that let me stay for (ideally a year or longer would be nice)

4. If less than a year is there implications of rapid exit/entry to renew visa?

5. Any gotchas to renting or buying property?

6. I don't need to work but can I if I decide to?

7. Any visa considerations to allow working in country?

8. Best site to check out long term rental properties and any considerations (bond?)

Edited by HarryB
add question

43 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I'm just under 50, wife is just over 50 if that helps

You wife is eligible for a OA long stay visa issued by a embassy or official consulate in your home country or a one year extension of stay based upon retirement applied for at immigration here. If she got either of those you could then get an extension for being her husband based upon her OA visa entry or extension of stay.

59 minutes ago, HarryB said:

6. I don't need to work but can I if I decide to?

7. Any visa considerations to allow working in country?

Thailand is very restrictive with job opportunities for foreigners.

And you would need a completely different approach than just described by ubonjoe.

The most offered job is English teacher requiring formal qualifications and payment is quite meager with few exceptions.

Best resort to being a retiree.

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

Cool, work wouldn't be for money more for stimulation ????

I can understand that. Boredom can be hard to kill.

Many resort to sports/hobby.

Depending on you location and skills you might help out other foreigners in an informal way.

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

8. Best site to check out long term rental properties and any considerations (bond?)

Have you made up a preference where to live? Budget?

Detached house? Condo/apartment?

Thailand is fairly big (depends on what you compare with) and diverse.

Situation/prices vary widely.
Often best to start with a month long hotel/apartment like stay and then look around/get informed on site.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Out of all the places I've been so far (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Krabi, Samui) Samui and Chiang Mai were my favourites, but since I like the beach Samui is winning at the moment. I had a quick look around, it seems like you can get some decent places for under 50000THB/month which is within budget. Having lived in tourist towns previously I'm also aware of the pitfalls of living among a highly transient population. Preference would be to be close but not too close to somewhere familiar.

Most importantly don't believe 10% of what people post or advise you to do. ????  The best experience is your own so come for a holiday and ask questions when you are here.  Then compare the answers with what you see and hear yourself.

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, HarryB said:

Out of all the places I've been so far (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Krabi, Samui) Samui and Chiang Mai were my favourites, but since I like the beach Samui is winning at the moment. I had a quick look around, it seems like you can get some decent places for under 50000THB/month which is within budget. Having lived in tourist towns previously I'm also aware of the pitfalls of living among a highly transient population. Preference would be to be close but not too close to somewhere familiar.

Your choice of course, however I suspect that with a bit more searching of more agents / sites etc., you could find very good rental accommodation well under 50,000Baht a month, especially if your desired location is a bit outside of the centre.  

Like in many countries property / rental agents here need to be watched very carefully. Shop around.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HarryB said:

looking to take a year off somewhere sunny and relaxed

The fact that you want to get employment on your time off tells me you probably really need that time off. Forget working, there are too many restrictions. As you have been advised you seem eligible for retirement visas, the best route for long stay. It negates the need to cross borders to renew. Of course work isn't allowed on retirement.

Keep in mind more Australians die in Thailand than anywhere else overseas. Most from illness or natural causes, no doubt because of the many retirees here, but apart from that, many are killed on the roads where the world's worst drivers practice their non-skills without interference from police. Do not ride a motorcycle unless you really have to. It doesn't matter how skilled you are, you can be squished by a heavy vehicle while waiting at a traffic light. Get travel insurance for your entire stay, medical evacuations can be very costly. I used World Nomads for my first year in Thailand.

If you are going to stay in Samui go to their local forum for advice from expats there on best places to live and accommodation costs.

Thanks, insurance is a good tip and I'm trying to crack a deal with my current employer to work remotely (I already do a lot of work from home so why should it matter if my home is Thailand) ???? 

As for the riding, I'll never give that up. I've been riding 30+ years including most of the crazy places such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Italy, Greece etc. Of course it's a risk, but a risk I'm happy to take. Motorcycles are a magnet for idiots, so a lot of those victims are self inflicted (not saying there isn't still risks, but being aware of them is half the battle)