Damned If you stay, Damned if you don't stay

Here is a funny story. I have an O-A visa from the US. My today's entry is the 9th entry this year into Thailand using O-A visa.  Maximum stay was for two months and minimum for 7-day. At passport control, the IO checked all my/arrival departure stamps and asked my how long do you want to stay? I said for one year. Then he said but you never stay in Thailand why do you come to Thailand often and what do you do here? I said I am retired and spend my time all around the world. Then he asked me something in Thai I said sorry I don't understand Thai. He asked why? I said sorry I did not have the time to learn (though my passport shows I had an ED visa in 2011-2012). May be I will enroll in a language school this time. He then stamped one year permission to stay. I thought with an O-A visa it would be easy with no questions asked but apparently not so. 

Edited by onera1961

56 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I thought with an O-A visa it would be easy with no questions asked but apparently not so. 

Probably only entering with the TE PE visa would stop any questioning. It's normal for IO's when entering any country to ask questions, it's their job. They aren't just there as stamping machines.