'Dark-skinned people' targeted in Thailand immigrant crackdown

webfact

'Dark-skinned people' targeted in Thailand immigrant crackdown

BANGKOK: Allegedly aimed at busting visa abusers and illegal migrants, a Thai police operation called "X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner" has raised questions about racial profiling and fears for asylum-seekers caught in its web.

Tens of millions of tourists come to Thailand each year for the cheap living and postcard-perfect beaches, with some seeking out the seedier thrills of a bustling sex industry.

But as weak law enforcement, porous borders and corruption help make the country a hub for transnational crime, Thai authorities are intensifying Operation X-Ray - a programme that started about a year ago - with more than 1,000 people arrested in recent weeks, most for overstaying their visa.

Full story: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/thailand-immigration-dark-skinned-x-ray-outlaw-foreigner-10848930 

-- CHANNEL NEWSASIA 2018-10-22

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, webfact said:

a Thai police operation called "X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner" has raised questions about racial profiling

"The suspicious targets are the dark-skinned people," shouted an officer.
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/thailand-immigration-dark-skinned-x-ray-outlaw-foreigner-10848930
I think that pretty much confirms it. Dark skinned people may or may not be more likely to commit crime, but it seems they are far more likely to get pulled by the cops, based not on what they are doing, but simply their colour.
Seems like immigration are trying to score some cheap points with the populace with such actions, simultaneously reinforcing their stereotype mind sets.

19 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Dark skinned people may or may not be more likely to commit crime, but it seems they are far more likely to get pulled by the cops, based not on what they are doing, but simply their colour.

Would that include people from Isaan or the deep south?

22 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I think that pretty much confirms it. Dark skinned people may or may not be more likely to commit crime, but it seems they are far more likely to get pulled by the cops, based not on what they are doing, but simply their colour.

Due to the fact that Africans cannot get a Thai visa from anywhere except their home Country (they cannot do visa runs to neighboring Countries) , its quite likely that many Africans are overstaying

19 minutes ago, darksidedog said:
"The suspicious targets are the dark-skinned people," shouted an officer.
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/thailand-immigration-dark-skinned-x-ray-outlaw-foreigner-10848930
Seems like immigration are trying to score some cheap points with the populace with such actions, simultaneously reinforcing their stereotype mind sets.

I agree with this but there are some uncomfortable truths critics of "stop and search" type police tactics have to think about. Take London as an example

In the twentieth century the main grounds on which the Met is accused of racism is that black men make up a much higher proportion of the people stopped and searched by police officers than any other ethnic group.

The Equality Commission and indeed all "right-thinking people" assume that such a practice shows that officers must be covertly racist.

But the disproportionate number of black men identified by victims as perpetrators demonstrates that racism need not have anything to do with it: when the victim identifies the assailant as a black male, it is logical, indeed necessary, for officers to start investigating black suspects.

That may lead them to stop and search black males who are in the vicinity and who have other characteristics identified by the victim.

Officers from the Met could, of course, stop and search old white women or middle-aged Asian mothers instead.

That might end the “disproportionality”. It would also be totally useless as a way of identifying and catching the people responsible for street crime.

39 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Due to the fact that Africans cannot get a Thai visa from anywhere except their home Country (they cannot do visa runs to neighboring Countries) , its quite likely that many Africans are overstaying

Interesting, so why there so many in the Immigration que in BKk because the ones I saw last week werent American negros unless they were finesing African Accents. So the Africans must get some visa support in country.

2 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Interesting, so why there so many in the Immigration que in BKk because the ones I saw last week werent American negros unless they were finesing African Accents. So the Africans must get some visa support in country.

Are you sure they were not Ugandans with British passports ?   We gave them away free to them during Idi Amin's period.  

4 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

You would need to ask them . although if they were at immigration in BKK , its quite likely that they were getting visa extensions

Just now, Aussieroaming said:

Idi Amin was late 70's era if I remember rightly and these guys were mid 20's or early 30s at the latest, so not born then.

Correct. But the Ugandans got free British passports.  Then there children get British passports and so on.  Follow ?

I wish people would stop complaining about racism.i have to endure it every day of the week here in Thailand.treated like shit by most policemen because I am white.i get over charged because I am white,when dealing with the people in amphur I get shoved to the back of the queue because I am white.i stay away from Thais that get drunk because I could end up the target of violence because I am white.i need to have extra security at home because I am white.im starting to understand what it was like to be a negro in the 60s in southern America but I just have to live with it because I am white.when you look at the bigger picture Asia,Africa and the Middle East are the main and majority of racists on this planet by far.it seems the majority of black people here are up to no good and illegal immigrants and where as the majority of whites are lawfully here and adding to the economy and employment of Thailand.if the shoe was on the other foot and whites were the problem and targeted then so be it.lock em up and throw them out.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

But those Ugandans who got expelled from Uganda were Indian immigrants to Uganda

Oh for goodness sake.  Many were Indian immigrants initially yes.  Those that married locals (Africans) were still threatened by Idi Amin.  Britain took them in and gave them free passports.   The whole family !  Do you not think under the laws of evolution perhaps their children would have inherited some of the African genes perhaps ? And by the way several of those whose parents left Uganda have actually gone back to Uganda.

A few years ago I was renewing my visa in Singapore. I was behind an African in the queue. The lady at the desk just wasn't interested in doing anything for this guy and as he eventually walked away from the desk with a stampless passport in his hand the Thai Muslim lady whom I was about to see just shouted at him "We don't want your kind of people in our country!" 

I don't know exactly what she meant by "your kind of people" but I can make an educated guess!

5 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

Oh for goodness sake.  Many were Indian immigrants initially yes.  Those that married locals (Africans) were still threatened by Idi Amin.  Britain took them in and gave them free passports.   The whole family !  Do you not think under the laws of evolution perhaps their children would have inherited some of the African genes perhaps ? And by the way several of those whose parents left Uganda have actually gone back to Uganda.

No need for such an attitude , can we a civil discussion without the  "Oh for goodness sake"s ?

Archived