'Dark-skinned people' targeted in Thailand immigrant crackdown

webfact

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Blinded by bigotry. Take all the break you need

Yawn.... Accusations of "racism" and "bigotry" without any factual counter argument do not give you the moral or intellectual high ground.

Incidentally, the dictionary definition of "bigotry" is intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.  In other words, the entire PC left (including yourself Fairymuff).

????

• Like 1

funny thing is that most thai people are dark / yellow skinned, and would probably be considered by nazi germany as some kind of low yellow monkey  race, and yet many thai are so proud of themselves and see themselves in one line with white farang, and even celebrate hitler here and there.
Come on ,most dont even know who Hitler was, they were not tought it in school.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, Bangkok Herps said:

Some of the casual racism by posters here is gross and more than a little ignorant.

Racial profiling is stupidity for any highly-functioning police department. It wastes time dealing with non-criminals that could be spent following meaningful leads. Like the example of the 100 Africans who were detained at church only to find that all of them had valid visas, lots of time is wasted for little benefit.

When you follow actual leads and actual complaints, you have a much better chance of dealing with actual criminals who are causing actual social problems. When you go after someone solely because you hold stereotypes or generalizations about their race, you're much more likely to be wasting your time. Not to mention that even if you do find a "criminal", chances are better than not that they were engaged in a relatively victimless crime that no one had complained about and thus didn't have much negative impact on society.

Not to mention that when you start profiling entire communities you turn those communities against you, thus making crime both more likely as well as more difficult to solve.

Of course, we've talked about this all before, and the same people are making the same stupid racist comments based on the same 70-year-old anecdotes. Ya'all do realize that moving from an anecdote to a general policy is exactly how racist stereotyping happens, and that relying on politicians from a century ago to express your views of colored people is a pretty good way to end up with racist views?

And the guy who thinks being a White person in Thailand is equivalent to being a Black person in the American South in the 1960s is a riot. 

Your diatribe whilst interesting is seriously flawed.  It is centered and based on "having highly-functioning police department".    That by definition excludes Thailand hence your comments are irrelevant to Thailand.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 348GTS said:

Yawn.... Accusations of "racism" and "bigotry" without any factual counter argument do not give you the moral or intellectual high ground.

Incidentally, the dictionary definition of "bigotry" is intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.  In other words, the entire PC left (including yourself Fairymuff).

????

If you were attempting to insult me by calling me a leftie...sorry but it’s the best compliment you could have given me. The thought of having common ground with you....fills me with horror 

On 10/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, happy chappie said:

I wish people would stop complaining about racism.i have to endure it every day of the week here in Thailand.treated like shit by most policemen because I am white.i get over charged because I am white,when dealing with the people in amphur I get shoved to the back of the queue because I am white.i stay away from Thais that get drunk because I could end up the target of violence because I am white.i need to have extra security at home because I am white.im starting to understand what it was like to be a negro in the 60s in southern America but I just have to live with it because I am white.when you look at the bigger picture Asia,Africa and the Middle East are the main and majority of racists on this planet by far.it seems the majority of black people here are up to no good and illegal immigrants and where as the majority of whites are lawfully here and adding to the economy and employment of Thailand.if the shoe was on the other foot and whites were the problem and targeted then so be it.lock em up and throw them out.

Your name is Barry White, right?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

If you were attempting to insult me by calling me a leftie...sorry but it’s the best compliment you could have given me. The thought of having common ground with you....fills me with horror 

Not at all. Just pointing out the irony of accusing me of bigotry whilst personifying it yourself.  I realize that's probably lost on you though. Never mind.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:11 PM, how241 said:

I am not questioning what you have posted but why can't they do a visa run ?

They can only get Tourist visas from their home Country , just like people can only get METV from their home Country , Africans can only get SETV from their home country

Apparently it's just a rumor started by a dark skinned foreigner!

This is Thailand, not the U.S.!

Anyway... If you're not Thai, and stopped by the police, so be it. 

Only those doing shady things or law breakers have a problem with police stopping and questioning them!

On 10/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, Bangkok Herps said:

Some of the casual racism by posters here is gross and more than a little ignorant.

Racial profiling is stupidity for any highly-functioning police department. It wastes time dealing with non-criminals that could be spent following meaningful leads. Like the example of the 100 Africans who were detained at church only to find that all of them had valid visas, lots of time is wasted for little benefit.

When you follow actual leads and actual complaints, you have a much better chance of dealing with actual criminals who are causing actual social problems. When you go after someone solely because you hold stereotypes or generalizations about their race, you're much more likely to be wasting your time. Not to mention that even if you do find a "criminal", chances are better than not that they were engaged in a relatively victimless crime that no one had complained about and thus didn't have much negative impact on society.

Not to mention that when you start profiling entire communities you turn those communities against you, thus making crime both more likely as well as more difficult to solve.

Of course, we've talked about this all before, and the same people are making the same stupid racist comments based on the same 70-year-old anecdotes. Ya'all do realize that moving from an anecdote to a general policy is exactly how racist stereotyping happens, and that relying on politicians from a century ago to express your views of colored people is a pretty good way to end up with racist views?

And the guy who thinks being a White person in Thailand is equivalent to being a Black person in the American South in the 1960s is a riot. 

It was me and I.....

IMG_2554.JPG

On 10/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, happy chappie said:

I wish people would stop complaining about racism.i have to endure it every day of the week here in Thailand.treated like shit by most policemen because I am white.i get over charged because I am white,when dealing with the people in amphur I get shoved to the back of the queue because I am white.i stay away from Thais that get drunk because I could end up the target of violence because I am white.i need to have extra security at home because I am white.im starting to understand what it was like to be a negro in the 60s in southern America but I just have to live with it because I am white.when you look at the bigger picture Asia,Africa and the Middle East are the main and majority of racists on this planet by far.it seems the majority of black people here are up to no good and illegal immigrants and where as the majority of whites are lawfully here and adding to the economy and employment of Thailand.if the shoe was on the other foot and whites were the problem and targeted then so be it.lock em up and throw them out.

Its funny to hear you complain about racism when it was started by whites and only they can end it. You better get to work!!! 

1 hour ago, Cyndee said:

Its funny to hear you complain about racism when it was started by whites and only they can end it. You better get to work!!! 

Racism isn't just about the colour of skin I'm afraid to inform you.why do you have to point the finger at whites being racist when it's embedded in all races around the world.your idea that white people are the cause and remedy to end racism is pathetic and foolish.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 8:40 AM, sanemax said:

Due to the fact that Africans cannot get a Thai visa from anywhere except their home Country (they cannot do visa runs to neighboring Countries) , its quite likely that many Africans are overstaying

So you have never been at the Thai consulates at Vientiane or Savannaketh...

1 hour ago, 0815 said:

So you have never been at the Thai consulates at Vientiane or Savannaketh...

I have yes numerous times and there's a large sign on the Consulates wall stating that .

That is how I became aware of the fact that Africans cannot get Thai Visas in Vientiane or Savannaket , because its written on the wall there

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

I have yes numerous times and there's a large sign on the Consulates wall stating that .

That is how I became aware of the fact that Africans cannot get Thai Visas in Vientiane or Savannaket , because its written on the wall there

Sorry, never saw that big sign at Savan.
But I met quite a few teachers from african countries there.

No statistics,   just a few years of personal experience, but must admit,  it's been
about 10-12  years from the last time I got a machine gun or rifle put in my face,
buy some nice police man or nice army guy, wanting money.
but hey,   I could be just out of date,  maybe it's better now days.  :jap:
I love west Africa :bah::bah:

Haha ... that brings back some good memories ... I was driving out of Lagos on my way to Cameroon - it was at the end of the month and police / army would have no money left after payday which was monthly / I was stoped at one road block - I opened the window on my old Land Rover and this big African had his rifle poking in beside his big head - He said .... master master .. give me something... I smiled the biggest smile I could muster, grabbed his shoulder and said ... my dear friend .. I give you all the blessings of my heart ! He looked completely baffled .. then he started laughing... and replied .. You are a good man .. you can go on ... :-) ... That was about 35 years ago ....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app