Gasohol In A 2 Stroke?

dbm

Hi everyone: I've just bought a Honda Dash 2 stroke bike and was wondering what is the best fuel for it. Has anyone had any negative experiences with gasohol in this kind of bike? Any and all advice appreciated. Cheers

Really depends. Most gasoline here in the States has 10% ethanol in it. Works fine in 2 stroke outboard motors and other 2 stroke motors. I know an individual though that purchased a snowmobile with a 2 stroke motor that used the same fuel. It ruined the motor.

Thanks Jamie. That's part of my dilemma at the moment as I've heard conflicting reports about gasohol and 2-strokes. Does anyone in Thailand have any thoughts on this, especially with a Honda 2-stroke?Cheers

Putting Gasohol in any carburator engine will (if you don't adjust it) effectively weaken the mixture because of the lower energy content of alcohol. Fuel injected engines can automatically compensate for the different fuel energy content (I'm not aware of any fuel-injected two-strokes).

Correct mixture is particularly important in a two-stroke, as over-lean running can burn the pistons. This is more of a problem with small engines as they tend to be run at full throttle for most of their lives.

ALSO, a number of posters have noted (sometimes very rapid) deterioration of fuel system seals leading to leaks or worse.

In short, I wouldn't put Gasohol in any vehicle without specific information from the manufacturer (not the oil companies or, worse, the government) that it is OK :o

Hi everyone: I've just bought a Honda Dash 2 stroke bike and was wondering what is the best fuel for it. Has anyone had any negative experiences with gasohol in this kind of bike? Any and all advice appreciated. Cheers

Check the owners manual. Most Honda engines I came across here (all four stroke though) has a warning not to use gasohol since the engine is not built for it. I would suspect that your bike has the same warning somewhere in the manual.

I found a site that told how to alter a carburator to use gasohol or nearly pure gasoline. If a fuel injector can take care of that, could I use gasohol in my Fuel Injected Honda 125i?

Can I use only a certain mixture of gasohol, or can I use almost pure alcohol or? And of course, whre can I buy cheap low grade alcohol?

Thanks for any ideas.

I always wanted to have a diesel car running on vegetable/corn oil, but that will have to wait.