Thammasat Actress Set For A 'hot' Dressing Down

Jai Dee

As far as the educational standard of this forum is concerned, I am not sure the proportion holding university degrees is anything than an approximate pointer.Nevertheless I suspect it would be rather few.It is obvious from polls recently conducted and frankly from the internal evidence of posts that this is primarily a blue collar discussion group.

Are you holding your nose whilst you slum it with the riff-raff here? :o

No because I do not confuse social class with intelligence or perception.Many without much formal education have a great deal interesting to say.I do not pay much attention to those interested in sex tourism, drinking beer, football, Pattaya, bargirls, barboys, visa running and obsessive one subject posters.I must confess to a slight prejudice against uneducated Brits (why do I always imagine them as fatties?) expounding uncritically on Thai politics and culture in terms of the current received opinion.There are however some excellent posters, many of whom I often disagree with, and I suspect there is a wide diversity in educational background.

I sometimes get accused of having a college education. A few years back some TV poster even acused me of being a professor.

Education is to be respected, and yet curiosity seems to be the thing that turns education into learning. It seems to me that people are endowed with different levels of curiosity, from birth, and that we can nurture or ignore it, in the same was as we are all endowed with different levels of sexual libido. A very curious person with little formal education will in the longer run become more educated, or at least more learned and more interesting, than a person who goes to school for practical reasons alone.

I've heard that it is very difficult to teach reasoning skills. Some of the mental skills associated with education are innate, and distributed unevenly. Yet how you think is more important than what you think. Being able to regularly make creative leaps and wild associations, and to pick out patterns that are as universally consistent with other patterns as possible - to see a big coherent picture and to make new associations - to be creative and rational and engaged. That is not a product of university training. Is it?

Edited by jamman

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chotiros pledges to shed sexy dress :D

Actress and university student Chotiros Suriyawong will shed her sexy evening dress to accomplish her latest mission of reading books for the blind. :D*reading to blind kids while naked...*

She will also perform other types of community service as part of punishment meted out by Thammasat University. :D*what other services in the nud_e is she planning?*

"We have resolved to issue her a written warning. We've also required her to read books for the blind for 15 days and do some other community service," Thammasat vice rector Parinya Thewanarumitkul told a press conference yesterday.

"This case is closed."

Thammasat was under pressure to act after Chotiros, a senior at the university, appeared in a revealing dress at the Subhanahongsa Awards ceremony this month. Chotiros won media attention for her ultra-sexy attire and a hint that she sashayed down without underwear. *and more than a few posts and views on thaivisa as well*

Following public condemnation, Sahamongkol Film chief Somsak Techaratanaprasert has ordered all footage of Chotiros to be deleted from one of his movies. :D*oh my, better save that out-take from her movie that was posted earlier*

Chotiros was in tears during yesterday's press conference at her university. "I am so sorry for what has happened. I would like to apologise," she said. *it's ok, sweetie... there, there... don't you cry*

Chotiros was summoned to explain the incident to Thammasat executives and lecturers yesterday. She showed them the controversial dress, which has special sewn-in underwear. *cool... panty-less panties*

Asked whether she wore the dress to attract attention, Chotiros replied, "I don't want to make my name known in this way." :bah:

A Dusit Poll showed 67.61 per cent of respondents supported Somsak's move against Chotiros. Conducted on February 14-15, the survey questioned 749 students and 264 teachers and lecturers.

Almost 82 per cent of respondents believed Chotiros chose to wear an inappropriate dress. Nearly 72 per cent said Thammasat should punish her. :o *we need a thaivisa poll!!!*

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

The dress looks great, she's very sexy, and the uni people are being pompous bores. Do they complain about the number of their students who are pole dancers or even more...?

Her PR stunt has succeeded totally. I'l bet copies of that dress are being knocked up in dress shops all over Bangkok as we speak. Maybe Tata Young will order one.

All over the country young male students will be adding Thammassat to their list of potential universities, thanks to her. TU's PR department should make her an exgratia payments for services rendered.

I doubt anyone in Thailand has a problem with knowing Thammasaht University despite young Amy's efforts.

For her, beckons a lifetime of 'dtua eechar' and 'puan nung ek' roles. Effectively, she has probably relegated herself to the ignomony of VCD films and other low end drivel currently played by people like Nong Balloon and Nong Ying.

Worse still, she may have eliminated a chance of marrying up in the world, and may be forced to follow in Ying's footsteps and merely become a 'meea farang' in the future; all from one rather poor choice in clothing. Ah well, she won't be the first; at least once she is married to a foreigner, then all the THai guys can do her behind the foreign guy's back. I hope I am not too late in that queue; I missed the boat with a few other 'meea farang' types in the past.

Then again, maybe all will be forgotten. She looked pretty bad in that outfit though; nice rack though.

All over the country young male students will be adding Thammassat to their list of potential universities, thanks to her. TU's PR department should make her an exgratia payments for services rendered.

I doubt anyone in Thailand has a problem with knowing Thammasaht University despite young Amy's efforts.

For her, beckons a lifetime of 'dtua eechar' and 'puan nung ek' roles. Effectively, she has probably relegated herself to the ignomony of VCD films and other low end drivel currently played by people like Nong Balloon and Nong Ying.

Worse still, she may have eliminated a chance of marrying up in the world, and may be forced to follow in Ying's footsteps and merely become a 'meea farang' in the future; all from one rather poor choice in clothing. Ah well, she won't be the first; at least once she is married to a foreigner, then all the THai guys can do her behind the foreign guy's back. I hope I am not too late in that queue; I missed the boat with a few other 'meea farang' types in the past.

Then again, maybe all will be forgotten. She looked pretty bad in that outfit though; nice rack though.

Real humanitarian aren't you, stevie?

JG, I was referring to Bendix's flaming - not you mate!

Ooooooooh, touchy. How am I flaming? It's a simple statement of fact. I simply pointed out that as a Thammasat student she's in the top echelons academically in Thailand. A Thammasat student is like an Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard student.

I don't know what the figures are now, but when I lived in the UK under 10% of the population had a university education.

Ergo . . better educated than 90% of the posters seems very reasonable to me.

What's your objection, exactly?

Since when has education had anything to do with a woman being a bimbo? You should get out more.

The Thai moral majority (Or just Thais) are so confused. The face factor is so big that it really destroys any logic about many things. Plus, ancient culture exposed to western ideals and culture really mix things up in their society. A lot of confusion!

She received additional publicity after the "dress" event. I saw her on TV in an interview, wearing an outfit too conservative for my grandmother. Full cover plus "old-woman" style sweater.

Working both sides of the crowd - good strategy.

Now to whipsaw the public back the otherway with a painted-on dress..........

:o

kenk3z

The Thai moral majority (Or just Thais) are so confused. The face factor is so big that it really destroys any logic about many things. Plus, ancient culture exposed to western ideals and culture really mix things up in their society. A lot of confusion!

Yes, I think you've found the underlying symptom - face. And I've argued that the cause of this symptom is that Thais don't appreciate the development of the individual. They are enmeshed mommas boys and girls, and this is exemplified in the nanny state, a state that has the audacity to send police around trying to stop teenagers from kissing on Valentines day. The parent tells the child what do do here, and the child never grows up to become an individual. Face is just the symptom of that disease of never developing a strong sense of personal idendity. Your face is how others perceive you, and so of course this is more important to you than how you perceive yourself.

Edited by jamman

Yes, I think you've found the underlying symptom - face. And I've argued that the cause of this symptom is that Thais don't appreciate the development of the individual. They are enmeshed mommas boys and girls, and this is exemplified in the nanny state, a state that has the audacity to send police around trying to stop teenagers from kissing on Valentines day. The parent tells the child what do do here, and the child never grows up to become an individual. Face is just the symptom of that disease of never developing a strong sense of personal idendity. Your face is how others perceive you, and so of course this is more important to you than how you perceive yourself.

Jamman,

I assume that you have sorted the Balinese out, and now you are turning your attention to what is wrong with Thai society?

Papaya and others,

Does anybody else find it weird in the extreme that a bunch of expatriates, most of whom are attracted to live in Thailand, choose to pontificate so loudly, and so self-righteously, about what is wrong with Thai society?

If you like the place enough to live in it, why do you want to change it? And why are you all arrogant enough to imagine that a handful of expats will have the slightest impact on Thai society anyway?

since she won't be wearing it anymore, my guess is that dress would fetch a fair penny on ebay. especially along with poster sized images to describe it.

anyone know how to get in touch with her? (strike that... get hold of her. no, strike that.) contact her?

And why are you all arrogant enough to imagine that a handful of expats will have the slightest impact on Thai society anyway?

Could this be because almost everyone in Thailand wants to learn to speak english and because farangs are a big hit on television shows of all types...and because of the wholesale adoption of western popular music....and because of the popularity of western movies.......etc.?

Jamman,

I assume that you have sorted the Balinese out, and now you are turning your attention to what is wrong with Thai society?

Papaya and others,

Does anybody else find it weird in the extreme that a bunch of expatriates, most of whom are attracted to live in Thailand, choose to pontificate so loudly, and so self-righteously, about what is wrong with Thai society?

If you like the place enough to live in it, why do you want to change it? And why are you all arrogant enough to imagine that a handful of expats will have the slightest impact on Thai society anyway?

I quite agree amazing isn't it. However apart from those you mention who live here and want to change it, it is compounded further by those who have lived here, moved away and still want to change it. Have you also noticed that those 2 groups are also experts in what the Thai's should do also?

Jamman,

Papaya and others,

I lived for two years in Thailand, and posted on Stickman and Thaivisa during that time. There is not a very active expat site for Indonesia, but expats in both Thailand and here do share things to talk about.

I understand that you don't like people badmouthing Thais. Rather than just complain about us complaining, you might consider directly arguing the points. Are they true, or untrue?

No use telling people to stop complaining. We won't listen to you.

Jamman,

Papaya and others,

I quite agree amazing isn't it. However apart from those you mention who live here and want to change it, it is compounded further by those who have lived here, moved away and still want to change it. Have you also noticed that those 2 groups are also experts in what the Thai's should do also?

I've never once considered changing Thailand or Thais. It is a hobby of mine to understand human nature, and to write about it, and I want to develop skills of propoganda - explaining a position and influencing others to also adopt it. Those are all my personal hobbies, and it never crossed my mind to have any effect upon Thai culture.

But if it had crossed my mind to have a positive effect on Thais, I don't know why that would be seen negatively. If a Thai wanted to have a positive effect on Canadians, I'd not feel offended.

Rather than feel offended, why not just argue the actuall issues. It is a non-issue that people notice and point out cultural differences. The issue is what these are. You can forever complain about people complaining, forever tell people to either stop complaining and leave, forever tell those who have left that it is no longer their business to complain. But the issues won't go away just by ignoring them. You can chose to ignore them, fine - up to you. But don't expect others to just be silent. That is not in our nature.

Jamman,

Papaya and others,

I lived for two years in Thailand, and posted on Stickman and Thaivisa during that time. There is not a very active expat site for Indonesia, but expats in both Thailand and here do share things to talk about.

I understand that you don't like people badmouthing Thais. Rather than just complain about us complaining, you might consider directly arguing the points. Are they true, or untrue?

No use telling people to stop complaining. We won't listen to you.

Convincing or not, is not important, it's just that it looks interesting, people might think he is fully integrated in the thai society, he already knows how to say "Hello" and "Thank you" in thai, he is a perfectly adapted farang in LoS and he no longer finds himself comfortable in farang circles... :o darn wannabes

Why on Earth would you want to queue up in line for any woman? :oEspecially one that has been stretched by a farang? :D

I would have thought that "missing the boat" on such women was a good thing, not a regrettable thing... but if "sloppy thirty-fourths" are your thing, then by all means... slop away.

:D

Ouch, that definitely left a mark! I imagine that if he could become acquainted with her now he would but clearly he can't so he has to wait until she's been married off to a foreigner. Evidently he's not some second rate, washed-up tennis pro who can get the goodies early on (Mr. Tata Young, Mr. Natalie Glebova) so he's got to wait for the cast-offs.

I think steve mentioned he's a Luk Kreung in Thailand.

Most probably caught (or lost) between two cultures and trying to ingratiate himself to his Thai 'friends' with that post.

Sad lol.

And why are you all arrogant enough to imagine that a handful of expats will have the slightest impact on Thai society anyway?

Could this be because almost everyone in Thailand wants to learn to speak english and because farangs are a big hit on television shows of all types...and because of the wholesale adoption of western popular music....and because of the popularity of western movies.......etc.?

Chownah,

The rooster crows. The sun rises. You and I know that the rooster didn't make the sun rise, don't we? But the rooster is pretty pleased with himself, and I guess that is all that matters.

There is this world-wide phenomenon happening called "globalisation". It is affecting all the countries of the world, including Thailand.

Some of the effects of globalisation are apparent just about everywhere, including of course in Thailand. Free trade, increasing freedom in migration, particularly of skilled workers, the internet, etc etc, you name it, it is all happening.

The use of English language is of course a very important part of globalisation. Of course people everywhere want to learn to speak English.

The last time I looked at Thai television, and listened to Thai radio, a couple of weeks ago, it still seemed very Thai to me.

The rooster crows. The sun rises. The rooster struts around, screws a few hens, and feels very pleased with himself. The world is certainly changing. A handful of expatriates in a place like Thailand might be profiting from the changes. But they are certainly not causing the sun to rise.

I lived for two years in Thailand, and posted on Stickman and Thaivisa during that time.

hoo boy!!! thats cred, that is!

Umm, credentials for what?

Let's see if I'm following the train of thought that led up to your comment.

Alexth says " I assume that you have sorted the Balinese out, and now you are turning your attention to what is wrong with Thai society?", and I reply that I used to live in Chiang mai, and that There is not a very active expat site for Indonesia, but expats in both Thailand and here do share things to talk about.

And this leads you to make a comment about my credentials to... to what? To post here?

Or is the train of thought more like this: I make the remark that Thais are mommas boys and girls (as most Asians will tell you, in their culture adults must listen to their parents and obey them, much more than westerners do), then this leads to a comment about expats complaining too much and being too arrogant to think that they can or should try to change Thais, and this leads me to comment that hey - stop trying to silence criticism, and try instead to deal directly with the criticism, and this leads you to attack me personally, or my credentials to speak.

Still no one cares to discuss whether Thais are momma's boys and girls or not. But I hear you that any criticism is not welcome.

If you are not Thai, that seems a very Thai attitude.

Chownah,

The rooster crows. The sun rises. You and I know that the rooster didn't make the sun rise, don't we? But the rooster is pretty pleased with himself, and I guess that is all that matters.

There is this world-wide phenomenon happening called "globalisation". It is affecting all the countries of the world, including Thailand.

Some of the effects of globalisation are apparent just about everywhere, including of course in Thailand. Free trade, increasing freedom in migration, particularly of skilled workers, the internet, etc etc, you name it, it is all happening.

The use of English language is of course a very important part of globalisation. Of course people everywhere want to learn to speak English.

The last time I looked at Thai television, and listened to Thai radio, a couple of weeks ago, it still seemed very Thai to me.

The rooster crows. The sun rises. The rooster struts around, screws a few hens, and feels very pleased with himself. The world is certainly changing. A handful of expatriates in a place like Thailand might be profiting from the changes. But they are certainly not causing the sun to rise.

Your analogy is that just as the rooster does not cause the sun to rise, so too westerners do not cause globalization. You also say that Thais have a very distinct culture, not a globalized one.

That's very muddled thinking. On the one hand you are saying that any westernizing influence is not caused by westerners, and on the other, you are saying that Thais have not been westernized. But they want to speak the global language and the worldwide trend is towards globalization, which they can move towards in a distinctly Thai way.

That's all muddled up. To the extent that Thais are influence by western culture, to that extent western culture influenced them.

And certainly, us expats have an effect on those that we deal with. We are not invisible people, and the people we interact with are not immutable. People are influenced all the time by each other. I've had major impacts on the lives of several Asians. Not to say that I've changed all of Thai society, but let's not be black and white about it. You can't throw a stone in a pond without causing a ripple.