Prisoners in Thailand to have smokes taken away within months

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Spock said:

So let's ban alcohol and tobacco because you don't like it.  Let's make Thai laws more draconian than those in the west. What a load of self indulgent nonsense. There is more to life than pristine health.

Most all US prisons ban indoor smoking and a few states including California ban it entirely as do Federal prisons.  The West is just as draconian.  In a lot of ways, more so. 

21 minutes ago, connda said:

Most all US prisons ban indoor smoking and a few states including California ban it entirely as do Federal prisons.  The West is just as draconian.  In a lot of ways, more so. 

I think you missed my point. The major appeal of living in this part of the world is lack of regulations and rules. Cambodia is my choice of country now. Incidentally, I am not a smoker.

I've worked the American prison system. Cigarettes equal currency inside the walls.  Seen an inmate get there brains handed to them because they owed cigarettes. Its a security issue and money decision because as in the US medical care from tobacco issues will be paid by the state. 

7 hours ago, baboon said:

Why do I have a feeling that nobody consulted the guards? It's all well and good dreaming up these wheezes from your plush office when it isn't you who will be facing the furious inmates...

Exactly!

Looking at the headlines of today's email.

No alcohol

No smokes

added to ....

No vaping

No weed

So all we need now is ...

No fun in Thailand

or. ....

No taxes since there's No service to the population.

I think the above list needs to be inverted.  Anyone threatening to go to Cambodia?  My missus and a small number of friends are why I stay here, not anything about the country.  It's become about as appealing as UK became before I felt I had to leave it forever.  When you're born in a cage you don't know that a cage is not natural I guess.

Anyone want to chip in and we establish an independent island? (only half joking).

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

you sound like the resident expert on the inside of Thai prisons.....  not.

Some jails are better policed than others but in theory no prisoner has cash. Doesn't mean you couldn't use outside connections to pay a guard for favours. Does anyone have recent experience or knowledge of corrupt guards supplying prisoners with drugs or money? 

9 hours ago, baboon said:

Why do I have a feeling that nobody consulted the guards? It's all well and good dreaming up these wheezes from your plush office when it isn't you who will be facing the furious inmates...

Why not jut put smokers in one wing  with smoking guards and the rest in another with non smoking............doubt  all theyll have to worry about is heath issues with smoking though.

Better still let them smoke outdoors only.

3 hours ago, justaphase said:

"Nonsense.  Thai prisons are far from filthy, you could safely eat your dinner off the cell floors they are so well cleaned everyday by the prisoners who have to sleep there every day.  Bucket are not provided, toilets are and there are never 120 prisoners in one cell.  Fish head soup is a myth promulgated by posts such as yours. "

Who is this guy? Clean? Scabies from the water from bathing, cells have from 90-120 people in at a time and EVERYONE smokes like a chimney from lockdown at 4 till lights out at 9..and in a no smoking cell. The rice soup either has cucumber or some fish bone crap in it..Everyone has food from the "7/11" or outside.

But what do I know..i was only there 50 days.

It's good to get some inside info,glad you've put the record straight on a lot of members who "think" they know the ins and outs of what goes on behind those walls.

58 minutes ago, kannot said:

Why not jut put smokers in one wing  with smoking guards and the rest in another with non smoking............doubt  all theyll have to worry about is heath issues with smoking though.

Better still let them smoke outdoors only.

I think they are cooped up for a good number of hours every day, but yes: attempts to make accommodations are a far better idea than blanket bans, especially in an environment like an overcrowded prison.

that will turn out fine.

Murderers, rappists, bankrobbers and other violent peoples in overpopulated prisons suddenly no more have sigarettes without alot to do , not get layed anymore for dunno how long time and full with testosterone without a quitting plan for smoking?!

Ever met somebody, who stopped smoking, after 2 weeks? They chew you up and spit you out again.

Guess they just wanna do something about the population in the jails.

15 hours ago, baboon said:

It's obvious they did consult the guards. It will give them an extra sideline.

16 hours ago, Ossy said:

Oh yeh? . . . pull my other one. That the Prison Department's Mr Naras believes he has the power to stop hundreds of thousands of addicted smokers from smoking, almost at the drop of his magic hat, is laughable since there'd be riots from one side of Bangkok to the other.

Why can't the Thai top brass learn to think before opening their traps? One week, it's expensive pets, the next, it's 'let's stop the world from smoking' and the next . . . well, we'll have to wait and see what nonsense is going to be announced, with trumpets and drums, only to be retracted the following week.

A different declaration a week from this hapless administration. It appears to be a form of entertainment for them. Should be for us too. How can one take these jokers seriously?

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could just give up without any ban - if you want to give it up.

That's right,I'm weak so everybody else has to suffer. Do it on your own it takes two things, willpower and strength of character. You don't get them from other people no matter how you try so they would not be helping you  just suffering because of you. GO FOR IT SUCK IT UP, after a short while you will wonder what all the fuss was about.....posted by me an ex 60 a day dumbo

On 10/23/2018 at 12:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You could just give up without any ban - if you want to give it up.

ding ding ding! You win! for the ignorant comment of the day. Since what we are talking about here is an insidiously addictive substance, which most people here seem fully aware of, you should know that a badly addicted smoker can't just "give it up" if he wants to. that's why smoking has become such a deadly worldwide scourge

Archived