Prisoners in Thailand to have smokes taken away within months

webfact

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

ding ding ding! You win! for the ignorant comment of the day. Since what we are talking about here is an insidiously addictive substance, which most people here seem fully aware of, you should know that a badly addicted smoker can't just "give it up" if he wants to. that's why smoking has become such a deadly worldwide scourge

Tell that to the people who I know smoked several packs a day and who gave up from one day to the next.

A 30 year old woman, a guy about 50, and another guy who was 70 at that time.

It's possible. Nobody said it's easy.

I guess you are a smoker. So what do you guess would happen to you if you wouldn't be able to smoke for a month. Would you have withdrawal symptoms? I guess. Would you survive it? Why not?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, happy chappie said:

You seem to have a great knowledge of Thai prisons,when did they let you out.

When I was let out is irrelevant, that I have been lucky enough to spend time in Klong Prem Prison, and was let out, is relevant. 

When were you in there in order to be in a position to determine that my post was total bullshit?

21 hours ago, jvs said:

By smuggling cigarets into the prison?For a high price?

'Who" ? you are asking?

I am not telling but use your imagination.I hope you are not confused anymore.

I'm not confused but you posts are confusing.  Prisoners do not have cash to pay for anything from guards!  I hope you are not confused any longer.

20 hours ago, Spock said:

There are far more than 120 people in many cells. The prison food is close to inedible, hence the reason Thai prisoners rely on money from relatives to keep them alive. To the poster who says it is bullshit that prisoners don't have cash to pay off guards - they don't have cash. They have prison accounts and can purchase from the prison shop with coupons. Getting cash inside would be extremely difficult.

There are not "far more than 120 in many cells".  Prison food is nowhere near inedible, many prisoners do rely only on food provided by the prison three times a day and survive very well.

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

you sound like the resident expert on the inside of Thai prisons.....  not.

Considering that I've spent more time than I care to remember in Klong Prem both as a prisoner and a visitor to other prisoners I am probably a lot more of an expert than the rest of you here.

39 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Considering that I've spent more time than I care to remember in Klong Prem both as a prisoner and a visitor to other prisoners I am probably a lot more of an expert than the rest of you here.

And when was that, I don't recall seeing you during the many visits I made? 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

I'm not confused but you posts are confusing.  Prisoners do not have cash to pay for anything from guards!  I hope you are not confused any longer.

Prisoners do not have money?Maybe not all but a lot do recieve money from outside.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Prisoners don't need cash, but relatives and friend can and do contribute very easily to an individual guards benevolent fund. 

20 hours ago, dcnx said:

Uh huh. Right after they enforce the no more than 5 people in the back of a pickup truck rule.

Thailand is all bark and no bite

I think that this prohibition will be enforced. Prisoners were told several months back about the upcoming ban. They are more easily bitten than other more visible sectors of the population. The smaller provincial prisons will possibly have a better success rate than the larger ones in  Bangkok. As if life isn't bad enough already for the poor wretches trying to survive an already cruel system.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, it is not, there is no cash.  Prisoners who have money have prison 'bank' accounts from which purchases at the prison shop can be made, they cannot withdraw cash.  The total BS is not mine.

Correct. Prisoners can use up to 300 baht a day in coupons to buy goods from inside, and in my friend's prison, accounts can't contain more than 9000 baht, to limit the ability of prisoners to financially influence fellow inmates and guards.

7 hours ago, Artisi said:

So that I don't give clues to my identity let's just say that it was between 2012 and 2018.

The first reason you wouldn't have seen me was that you weren't visiting me!   Visitors only get to see the prisoner they are specifically recorded as being there to visit.  Visitors do not wander around seeing all the prisoners, they see their appointed prisoner in the visiting area.  But, then, you'd know that if you were visiting Klong Prem as regularly as you claim!

Secondly, how would you know me in order to recall seeing me, could you give a description of me?

You really should think your posts out more carefully before bashing away on the keyboard.

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Prisoners do not have money?Maybe not all but a lot do recieve money from outside.

No prisoners get the cash that visitors provide, it all is paid into their prison account from which they can only make official purchases and the amounts are debited to those accounts.  When they are released the account balance is paid to them in cash.

There is no way to give a prisoner cash, or anything else directly, unless you can magically pass it through a glass screen or send it down the phone that prisoners and visitors talk on.

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

Prisoners don't need cash, but relatives and friend can and do contribute very easily to an individual guards benevolent fund. 

Really?  Not in Klong Prem they don't.  

How would they do that bearing in mind that visitors do not have access to the guards during their visits, never mind specific individual guards, and, even if they did get access, how would they know which guards are working in which 'Dan' of the prison in order to get the benefit of that cash to the prisoner they're visiting?

But, then, you'd know all that if you really did visit that prison as regularly as you claimed, wouldn't you?

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe your just one more criminal ? :coffee1:

I was accused of something and imprisoned as a result of that, that's why I was there and why I'm in a position to talk about the reality of Klong Prem.  Whether I was a criminal or not is my business, not yours.

2 hours ago, Spock said:

Correct. Prisoners can use up to 300 baht a day in coupons to buy goods from inside, and in my friend's prison, accounts can't contain more than 9000 baht, to limit the ability of prisoners to financially influence fellow inmates and guards.

You're right but even if the accounts could hold more than B9000 influencing other prisoners or guards would be impossible because prisoners can never handle the cash that's in those accounts, they can only use it remotely to buy from the prison shop.

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Really?  Not in Klong Prem they don't.  

How would they do that bearing in mind that visitors do not have access to the guards during their visits, never mind specific individual guards, and, even if they did get access, how would they know which guards are working in which 'Dan' of the prison in order to get the beenfit of that cash to the prisoner they're visiting?

But, then, you'd know all that if you really did visit that prison as regularly as you claimed, wouldn't you?

Naive comes to mind, but then of course for someone who supposedly has been a prisoner didn't see any drugs, mobile phones etc while there, unless of course they are really  part of the prison sentence that was handed down and therefore acceptable. 

28 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So that I don't give clues to my identity let's just say that it was between 2012 and 2018.

The first reason you wouldn't have seen me was that you weren't visiting me!   Visitors only get to see the prisoner they are specifically recorded as being there to visit.  Visitors do not wander around seeing all the prisoners, they see their appointed prisoner in the visiting area.  But, then, you'd know that if you were visiting Klong Prem as regularly as you claim!

Secondly, how would you know me in order to recall seeing me, could you give a description of me?

You really should think your posts out more carefully before bashing away on the keyboard.

It was a rhetorical comment, or do you like bashing away on your keyboard

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, justaphase said:

"Nonsense.  Thai prisons are far from filthy, you could safely eat your dinner off the cell floors they are so well cleaned everyday by the prisoners who have to sleep there every day.  Bucket are not provided, toilets are and there are never 120 prisoners in one cell.  Fish head soup is a myth promulgated by posts such as yours. "

Who is this guy? Clean? Scabies from the water from bathing, cells have from 90-120 people in at a time and EVERYONE smokes like a chimney from lockdown at 4 till lights out at 9..and in a no smoking cell. The rice soup either has cucumber or some fish bone crap in it..Everyone has food from the "7/11" or outside.

But what do I know..i was only there 50 days.

Who is this guy?  He's someone who spent more time in Klong Prem prison than you spent wherever you where and someone who had to contribute cigarettes or food to the prisoners who volunteered to clean the cell every day before roll call.  You weren't in Klong Prem, clearly. 

Since when did Thai prisons have "lights out"?   Lights are on the entire time cells are in use, the only thing that goes off at about 9 is the TV.

Explain to me how scabies be contracted from a mains water supply which is what supplies the prison showers.

14 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Naive comes to mind, but then of course for someone who supposedly has been a prisoner didn't see any drugs, mobile phones etc while there, unless of course they are really  part of the prison sentence that was handed down and therefore acceptable. 

For once you're right, I didn't see and drugs neither did I see any mobile phones because there weren't any in the part of Klong Prem that I was in neither were there any in other parts where other prisoners I knew were accommodated.  That was partly due to frequent, unannounced searches of lockers, the only places prisoners could keep any possessions.  Cells in Klong Prem are not provided with electrical outlets to charge phones, either.

The frequent urine tests also discouraged drug taking and I never saw any prisoner fail a urine test.  

51 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
8 hours ago, Artisi said:

21 minutes ago, Artisi said:

It was a rhetorical comment, or do you like bashing away on your keyboard

Your first comment above certainly was not a rhetorical comment, you were asking a specific question and suggesting that I was lying when I said I'd been there.

You're right but even if the accounts could hold more than B9000 influencing other prisoners or guards would be impossible because prisoners can never handle the cash that's in those accounts, they can only use it remotely to buy from the prison shop.
One could always try the 'Papillon solution' but i guess nowadays the guards are savvy of that.

Forgive me, did not want to make fun of your predicament.

Sent from my ASUS_X008D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/23/2018 at 10:30 AM, bluesofa said:

I can see the alternative smoking becoming even more popular.

Trading one fag for another...so to speak ????

Tra

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

For once you're right, I didn't see and drugs neither did I see any mobile phones because there weren't any in the part of Klong Prem that I was in neither were there any in other parts where other prisoners I knew were accommodated.  That was partly due to frequent, unannounced searches of lockers, the only places prisoners could keep any possessions.  Cells in Klong Prem are not provided with electrical outlets to charge phones, either.

The frequent urine tests also discouraged drug taking and I never saw any prisoner fail a urine test.  

Really ? they even test people for drug regularly ? Finally prisons in Europe might be more comfortable even if 80% of the people there are muslim !

At least in EU they all have drug and mobiles !

And what about beatings ? Do they happen to people who do not do anything wrong ?

You discouraged me from being jailed in Thailand ! ????

Have you seen this post ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/comments/8rjlrt/i_spent_a_year_in_a_bangkok_prison_ama/

Archived