Prisoners in Thailand to have smokes taken away within months

webfact

Prisoners to have smokes taken away within months

By The Nation

965d15b0d5ee8a2672888ae5b72371ea.jpeg

All prisons will become smoke-free in the near future as the Corrections Department is preparing to fully comply with the upcoming stricter tobacco law.

“We believe the new law will come into effect late this year or early next year,” the department’s director-general Naras Savestanan said on Monday.

More than 300,000 people are now living behind bars at 143 correctional facilities across Thailand. About 40 per cent are smokers. 

“Smoking is directly related to respiratory illnesses, which often cause death,” Naras said. 

He was speaking after a meeting with the Disease Control Department’s (DCD) chief. The discussions were aimed at ensuring prisons are prepared to comply with the strict new tobacco law.

DCD has offered to send their staff into the prisons to help inform inmates about how to quit smoking. 

Cigarettes are still being sold in prisons. Cigarettes will be banned, along with smoking them, throughout correctional facilities once the new law comes into effect.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356967

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-23

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prisoners to have smokes taken away within months

Oh yeh? . . . pull my other one. That the Prison Department's Mr Naras believes he has the power to stop hundreds of thousands of addicted smokers from smoking, almost at the drop of his magic hat, is laughable since there'd be riots from one side of Bangkok to the other.

Why can't the Thai top brass learn to think before opening their traps? One week, it's expensive pets, the next, it's 'let's stop the world from smoking' and the next . . . well, we'll have to wait and see what nonsense is going to be announced, with trumpets and drums, only to be retracted the following week.

When I visited a prisoner in a Philippines prison , about 5 yrs ago ..i took a pack of cigarettes as part of the care package.
I didnt know the guy but presumed he could use them as some form of currency if he didnt smoke .
The guards refused to allow me to take them in, saying ..banned !
In fact they tried to confiscate them, but i resisted that.
Once inside,and chatting to the guy, I noted that many of the prisoners were in fact smoking .
I mentioned this to the guy, and he said ..
Yeah, but you can only buy them from the guards !

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

This is a GREAT idea!

Now one day after they take the cigarettes away, get those two white kids that did the wall spray painting and confession with a naked lady T-shirt to show complete disrespect of the Royal Thai Police, and toss them in the prison.... soreass lee and b...lol 

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could just give up without any ban - if you want to give it up.

I take it you haven't had a 40year addiction then.like all addictive drugs it's better to get to the root of the problem and stop the supply.i think just telling billion or 2 people to give up won't work.

Well I suspect there,s not much to look forward to when you are incarcerated except a 15 minute visit with family via phone and viewed through glass, the thought of getting released at some point and a good ole smoke.

This may sound drastic, but I predict more suicides, It amuses me, or maybe I should use amazes me, that a substance that is sold everywhere and is completely legal has so many restrictions. Couldn't they at least provide a small garden area for smokers.

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

What's next? No more fish-head soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Yes, because that is going to be banned under the "upcoming stricter disgusting fish-head soup law" expected to be formulated right after the "upcoming stricter tobacco law" has been promulgated.

Inmates are reportedly already rejoicing at the prospect of a fish-head soup-free future. "I don't mind spending the next 20 years in a hopelessly overcrowded, filthy, terribly hot cell with no space to sleep on the floor and only a single bucket for all 120 occupants, but fish-heads, fish-heads, fish-heads every freakin' day, that really is more than inhumane," a convicted double murderer was quoted as saying under the thundering applause of his fellow cellmates.

I reckon being in a Thai prison would drive anyone to want to smoke, helps with the boredom, and stress, (why do you suppose they we're issued as rations during the 2 Great Wars).  Guess there's going to be a lot of irate prisoners, with bad tempers and short fuses, people getting hurt etc.etc.

Junta government not worried, they got a whole Army they can send in to quell any riots.

24 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I take it you haven't had a 40year addiction then.like all addictive drugs it's better to get to the root of the problem and stop the supply.i think just telling billion or 2 people to give up won't work.

I know a couple of people who smoked cigarettes for decades and then gave up smoking.

The root problem is not the supply. Many people chose to smoke because they want to smoke.

I never read about anybody who died because he/she didn't smoke anymore.

I understand some people are addicted and some like help with that.

But fact is take away the cigarettes of so called addicted smokers and they won't die. They will stop smoking.

P.S: I have no problem with people who like to smoke. Do it if you like it. But don't pretend you CAN'T stop. YOU CAN!

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know a couple of people who smoked cigarettes for decades and then gave up smoking.

The root problem is not the supply. Many people chose to smoke because they want to smoke.

I never read about anybody who died because he/she didn't smoke anymore.

I understand some people are addicted and some like help with that.

But fact is take away the cigarettes of so called addicted smokers and they won't die. They will stop smoking.

P.S: I have no problem with people who like to smoke. Do it if you like it. But don't pretend you CAN'T stop. YOU CAN!

Yes but it's easier said than done.when people smoke around me I have no way of giving up.ive been smoking for 40 years and it's a curse on me.the only time I do get away from smoking is on a long haul flight and I tend to forget about being a smoker until those bloody lights pop up with a no smoking sign.even worse is the likes of Ryan air when the stewardesses shove 200 ciggys in your face and say would you like some duty free sir.thats when I feel like smacking her around the head with them.if there wasn't tobacco and smokers I would be in heaven.maybe when the prison ban comes into effect I'll get myself banged up for a couple of months.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Smoking is directly related to respiratory illnesses, which often cause death,”

I don't smoke but I also don't like people who do things for their own ends.  So far nobody has produced one iota of proof to support the above.  If they had then governments could be charged with murder for allowing the sale of a poison.  How's the hypocracy, legalize pot for profit and ban smoking to save all of the ancilliary costs.  I remember a friend of mine at a major international airline (not telling which) telling me that they were intending to sue themselves for smoking (using a paid scapegoat) in order to save billions on cleaning staff and air filters.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes seeing some reactions here ,you can not force them to quit.

How about a designated smoking area?

Oh how stupid,i almost forgot where i am.

Where are you? I believe Australia outlawed smoking in prisons a few years back, also some states in the US banned smoking.

Also banned in UK prisons.

Archived