Prisoners in Thailand to have smokes taken away within months

webfact

2 hours ago, lanista said:

The guards will be furious. No doubt they do a flourishing trade in overpriced smokes and thai food in styrene containers from the soi outside the prison or from a canteen inside.

Cant see this working.

Guards earn very low wages.

"No doubt they do a flourishing trade in overpriced smokes and thai food in styrene containers from the soi outside the prison or from a canteen inside".

Completely wrong, cigarettes are available for the prisoners at normal prices in the prison shop and food can be sent in from outside at normal prices if ordered.

"Guards earn very low wages".

So what?  Prisoners do not have the ability to supplement the guards income, there is no cash available for prisoners in Thai prisons.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Inmates are reportedly already rejoicing at the prospect of a fish-head soup-free future. "I don't mind spending the next 20 years in a hopelessly overcrowded, filthy, terribly hot cell with no space to sleep on the floor and only a single bucket for all 120 occupants, but fish-heads, fish-heads, fish-heads every freakin' day, that really is more than inhumane," a convicted double murderer was quoted as saying under the thundering applause of his fellow cellmates.

Nonsense.  Thai prisons are far from filthy, you could safely eat your dinner off the cell floors they are so well cleaned everyday by the prisoners who have to sleep there every day.  Bucket are not provided, toilets are and there are never 120 prisoners in one cell.  Fish head soup is a myth promulgated by posts such as yours.

5 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I applaud this move. I have never been to jail but the thought of sharing a cell with smokers is revolting. I'm  tolerant of smokers outside and support being able to smoke in bars, but to smoke in enclosed spaces is truly awful.

Smoking is not allowed inside the cells, only outside.

4 hours ago, baboon said:

Why do I have a feeling that nobody consulted the guards? It's all well and good dreaming up these wheezes from your plush office when it isn't you who will be facing the furious inmates...

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Which one's the weediest?

The guards will all become millionaires 

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

Oh yeh? . . . pull my other one. That the Prison Department's Mr Naras believes he has the power to stop hundreds of thousands of addicted smokers from smoking, almost at the drop of his magic hat, is laughable since there'd be riots from one side of Bangkok to the other.

Why can't the Thai top brass learn to think before opening their traps? One week, it's expensive pets, the next, it's 'let's stop the world from smoking' and the next . . . well, we'll have to wait and see what nonsense is going to be announced, with trumpets and drums, only to be retracted the following week.

What fun is power if one can not wield it to control the life's of others?

Simply look at lakhon period pieces on Thai TV and movies.  The ultimate high for those with wealth and power is to subjugate and then laud over the lives of the slave class and the poor. 
What's changed?  Nothing much.

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I applaud this move. I have never been to jail but the thought of sharing a cell with smokers is revolting. I'm  tolerant of smokers outside and support being able to smoke in bars, but to smoke in enclosed spaces is truly awful.

You obviously know little about prisons in Thailand. When prisoners are locked in their cells with up to 300 people from 4pm to 6am the next morning they cannot smoke. They only get to smoke during the day outside. My friend's prison banned cigarette smoking for about 6 weeks earlier this year and the black market price was 100 baht per cigarette. Meanwhile my friend almost died from tuberculosis and would not have got medical treatment had I not pleaded to the prison admin and doctor on his behalf. Banning cigarettes in a Thai prison where boredom is accentuated by the lack of activities and locking prisoners in cells with no books or possessions for 14 hours a day is totally counterproductive, particularly when smoking is only permissible between 6am to 3.30pm each day.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Nonsense.  Thai prisons are far from filthy, you could safely eat your dinner off the cell floors they are so well cleaned everyday by the prisoners who have to sleep there every day.  Bucket are not provided, toilets are and there are never 120 prisoners in one cell.  Fish head soup is a myth promulgated by posts such as yours.

There are far more than 120 people in many cells. The prison food is close to inedible, hence the reason Thai prisoners rely on money from relatives to keep them alive. To the poster who says it is bullshit that prisoners don't have cash to pay off guards - they don't have cash. They have prison accounts and can purchase from the prison shop with coupons. Getting cash inside would be extremely difficult.

3 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I take it you haven't had a 40year addiction then.like all addictive drugs it's better to get to the root of the problem and stop the supply.i think just telling billion or 2 people to give up won't work.

The 'root' of the problem is  lack of will power and psychological mindset. Instead of accepting that the solution to quitting lies very much in your own hands you choose to blame the problem on the fact that there's a supply of cigarettes. Well actually nobody is forcing you to go to the shop and buy them - that's your own conscious decision.

And yes I did smoke for 40+ years before finally quitting 3 years ago. Nicotine is actually not very physically addictive at all, 3 -5 days will see you past the physical withdrawal discomfort. It is however hugely psychologically addictive. I highly recommend reading Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It will give you some very good insights into your thought processes. If you 'really want' to quit then you will.

12 minutes ago, Shadychris said:

The 'root' of the problem is  lack of will power and psychological mindset. Instead of accepting that the solution to quitting lies very much in your own hands you choose to blame the problem on the fact that there's a supply of cigarettes. Well actually nobody is forcing you to go to the shop and buy them - that's your own conscious decision.

And yes I did smoke for 40+ years before finally quitting 3 years ago. Nicotine is actually not very physically addictive at all, 3 -5 days will see you past the physical withdrawal discomfort. It is however hugely psychologically addictive. I highly recommend reading Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. It will give you some very good insights into your thought processes. If you 'really want' to quit then you will.

Yes and people all have different lives and will power.what is easier.trying to talk billions of people out of smoking or a total ban on tabacco country by country.it is a highly addictive drug that serves no good and should be banned full stop.the same goes for alcohol.a few weeks of banging your head against a wall and we all would be cured and the world a healthier and better place.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Guess they will just have to stick to smoking weed and ice then.

More bribes for the guards. They must be counting the cash already.

Smoking weed in prison? You don't think the smell would alert anyone to its use? I think you might find that times have changed in most Thai prisons. 

4 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Yes and people all have different lives and will power.what is easier.trying to talk billions of people out of smoking or a total ban on tabacco country by country.it is a highly addictive drug that serves no good and should be banned full stop.the same goes for alcohol.a few weeks of banging your head against a wall and we all would be cured and the world a healthier and better place.

So let's ban alcohol and tobacco because you don't like it.  Let's make Thai laws more draconian than those in the west. What a load of self indulgent nonsense. There is more to life than pristine health.

"Nonsense.  Thai prisons are far from filthy, you could safely eat your dinner off the cell floors they are so well cleaned everyday by the prisoners who have to sleep there every day.  Bucket are not provided, toilets are and there are never 120 prisoners in one cell.  Fish head soup is a myth promulgated by posts such as yours. "

Who is this guy? Clean? Scabies from the water from bathing, cells have from 90-120 people in at a time and EVERYONE smokes like a chimney from lockdown at 4 till lights out at 9..and in a no smoking cell. The rice soup either has cucumber or some fish bone crap in it..Everyone has food from the "7/11" or outside.

But what do I know..i was only there 50 days.

Archived